• 29(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2013-11-19, 03:03)Platypus2 Wrote:
(2013-11-19, 02:40)Selene Wrote: Are you running Windows 8? I just encountered the stutter again I'm sick of it already OE didn't stutter for me, but the blacks were messed up. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

No, windows 7, just read that the windows 8.1 driver fixed the 4:3 green bar issue. What is this 'stutter' like? What happens? I'll see if I can notice it tonight.

The sound cuts out for 5-6 seconds occasionally.. any remote interaction seems to fix it for a while. I think I might've stripped something from my OS that might be required if you're not getting it. I did some tweaking... and now I need to undo it all I guess. I maxed all the power settings, but who knows.
(2013-11-17, 23:18)aesalazar Wrote:
(2013-11-17, 20:20)gamble Wrote: Yeah i had the reboot instead of shutdown Problem occasionaly too, activating S4/S5 in BIOS fixed it for me.

What do you mean by activating it? When option is it in the bios?

Thanks
Ernie

Any way you can give me the dummy walkthrough on this? I still can't shutdown, it's auto rebooting on me too.
(2013-11-19, 03:47)Selene Wrote:
(2013-11-19, 03:03)Platypus2 Wrote:
(2013-11-19, 02:40)Selene Wrote: Are you running Windows 8? I just encountered the stutter again I'm sick of it already OE didn't stutter for me, but the blacks were messed up. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

No, windows 7, just read that the windows 8.1 driver fixed the 4:3 green bar issue. What is this 'stutter' like? What happens? I'll see if I can notice it tonight.

The sound cuts out for 5-6 seconds occasionally.. any remote interaction seems to fix it for a while. I think I might've stripped something from my OS that might be required if you're not getting it. I did some tweaking... and now I need to undo it all I guess. I maxed all the power settings, but who knows.

Just watched it for an hour and didn't have any sound cut outs. Though I am using a hdmi audio striper to get optical...but it's more likely to be your tweaks Tongue
(2013-11-19, 04:53)Platypus2 Wrote:
(2013-11-19, 03:47)Selene Wrote:
(2013-11-19, 03:03)Platypus2 Wrote: No, windows 7, just read that the windows 8.1 driver fixed the 4:3 green bar issue. What is this 'stutter' like? What happens? I'll see if I can notice it tonight.

Just watched it for an hour and didn't have any sound cut outs. Though I am using a hdmi audio striper to get optical...but it's more likely to be your tweaks Tongue

Updating windows.. and dropping eventghost as my designated shell to test.
(2013-11-19, 04:08)Clack Wrote:
(2013-11-17, 23:18)aesalazar Wrote:
(2013-11-17, 20:20)gamble Wrote: Yeah i had the reboot instead of shutdown Problem occasionaly too, activating S4/S5 in BIOS fixed it for me.

What do you mean by activating it? When option is it in the bios?

Thanks
Ernie

Any way you can give me the dummy walkthrough on this? I still can't shutdown, it's auto rebooting on me too.

Enter BIOS with hitting F2 during boot-up, then go to the Power Tab and there is an option listed "Use S4/S5 Deep"
Activate it and reboot. That helped for me in the Stable 3.2.3 Frodo Build.
Now with Gotham i got a new problem, i always need to shutdown TWICE to keep it off
It always boots up after first shutdown and always stays off after 2nd Attempt..rly weird..
Question - I have the original i3 NUC bought back when it was just out on the market, and was debating about upgrading to the new Haswell one for improved 24p playback stability (moving the current one to another room - and yes, I do actually notice the 24p issue).

Does anyone know if you can still set the minimum fan speed in the BIOS? On my current one it came set to a nearly inaudible level, but then due to overheating when a WiFi card was installed Intel raised the default level in newer BIOS versions to something definitely not inaudible. Since I don't have WiFi or overheating issues, I lowered mine back down to the original setting (20% I believe) and have never experienced any problems in months and months of daily use. I'm assuming I could probably do similarly on the Haswell version, if only the setting's still there.
(2013-11-19, 07:40)gamble Wrote: Enter BIOS with hitting F2 during boot-up, then go to the Power Tab and there is an option listed "Use S4/S5 Deep"
Activate it and reboot. That helped for me in the Stable 3.2.3 Frodo Build.
Now with Gotham i got a new problem, i always need to shutdown TWICE to keep it off
It always boots up after first shutdown and always stays off after 2nd Attempt..rly weird..

You da man. Thanks gamble.
You are welcome Smile

Anyone tried the new Nightly yet?

OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20131118054842-r16387

http://xbmcnightlybuilds.com/openelec-ge...-download/
(2013-11-19, 02:18)BLKMGK Wrote: Just ordered an i3 model myself after the i5 sold out while in my basket Sad Seems like many running into issues are running OE, is anyone running full Ubuntu? I generally compile most every on my boxes to keep up with new code, I'm hoping to have fewer issues and honestly I'm probably not as picky as some. I'll certainly be happy to test and report on how my install goes - probably Xubuntu or some flavor of Mint will be installed. Replacing ion1 hardware in my case...

PS where in the world did someone find this hardware for $230?!

I'm on Arch, see the software versions in my sig.

There's really only two "issues" everyone is having, first one is the IR controller and second is the colorspace (which is not a new issue, this has been going on forever with the Intel driver). I consider them minor and easy to fix if you know how to put commands in a startup script.

There do seem to be a few bugs with the BIOS though, as mentioned before mine is crashing if I try to change preferred video output. It also reboots instead of shutdown unless you enable S4/S5. Sound output dies for me after doing some DTS-HD/TrueHD passthrough, but comes back after a reboot. Not sure if it's an UEFI boot issue, kernel issue or AE issue. Was not present with the Ivy Bridge i5 at least.

Anyway, if you're not scared of a few quirks it's working great I've watched a ton of movies on it already. Using my Apple IR remote Smile
I just tried the new Nightly (OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20131118054842-r16387) -> Black Screen

Its kinda funny but now i am the one to have Problems with the Nuc keeping rebooting...

But its different then before, first shutdown it reboots immidiatly, second shutdown it stays off...and this happens EVERY time,
i did NO changes to BIOS...began setting it back to default...same Problem...activated S4/S5 again...same Problem...really tried everything :/
Thinking more about it, it cant be BIOS setting Problems since i did not change anything..

BUT suspend works now for me which kinda eliminates the need for complete Shutdown nearly.
Before Gotham if i used Suspend, xbmc just switched to Home Screen, now it goes to i dont know what Sleep Mode but the Nuc behaves like compl. turned OFF.
When i wake it up using WOL it starts immidiatly at the XBMC Homescreen so no booting required...hm..
Finally got my ssd. I have installed win7 and as others have suggested, it just work!! No display issues, remote works.

One thing though, remote won't work immediately after a fresh install of win7. I was using windows media center for testing, but the remote won't work. You have to make some registry changes in order to get it to work (or use tweakMC, which basically change some registry values for you). I guess xbmc installation will do the registry change for you, so that's why remote will work without issues once xbmc is installed.
With Win or Ubuntu Full installed are u able to set it up to act like openelec,
so it directly boots into XBMC?
(2013-11-19, 19:03)gamble Wrote: With Win or Ubuntu Full installed are u able to set it up to act like openelec,
so it directly boots into XBMC?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176504

Buzzword would be xbmclauncher
(2013-11-19, 12:07)arokh Wrote:
(2013-11-19, 02:18)BLKMGK Wrote: Just ordered an i3 model myself after the i5 sold out while in my basket Sad Seems like many running into issues are running OE, is anyone running full Ubuntu? I generally compile most every on my boxes to keep up with new code, I'm hoping to have fewer issues and honestly I'm probably not as picky as some. I'll certainly be happy to test and report on how my install goes - probably Xubuntu or some flavor of Mint will be installed. Replacing ion1 hardware in my case...

PS where in the world did someone find this hardware for $230?!

I'm on Arch, see the software versions in my sig.

There's really only two "issues" everyone is having, first one is the IR controller and second is the colorspace (which is not a new issue, this has been going on forever with the Intel driver). I consider them minor and easy to fix if you know how to put commands in a startup script.

There do seem to be a few bugs with the BIOS though, as mentioned before mine is crashing if I try to change preferred video output. It also reboots instead of shutdown unless you enable S4/S5. Sound output dies for me after doing some DTS-HD/TrueHD passthrough, but comes back after a reboot. Not sure if it's an UEFI boot issue, kernel issue or AE issue. Was not present with the Ivy Bridge i5 at least.

Anyway, if you're not scared of a few quirks it's working great I've watched a ton of movies on it already. Using my Apple IR remote Smile

I don't think it's fear of quirks, it's things like turning off video acceleration to try to band-aid color space problems and then not apparently a 100% fix.

So not fear of quirks, fear of "imperfection". I've got a high end TV, I don't like to feed it junk. Big Grin
Haha yeah I get that Smile Just boot it up in OE or something yourself when you get it and decide whether you can live with the quirks on Linux or not.
  • 29(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7