• 32(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
r16398 is online.

It boots fine, the black screen is gone.

http://xbmcnightlybuilds.com/openelec-ge...-download/
(2013-11-20, 13:54)Mangoes Wrote: r16398 is online.

It boots fine, the black screen is gone.

http://xbmcnightlybuilds.com/openelec-ge...-download/

Actually, for me it doesn't. D34010WYK, the generic build you linked to above, clean install, latest BIOS from October 17th. It just boots to the high resolution splash screen, then nothing. Cannot SSH to it, no nothing. Sad
I just updated my BIOS aswell, does not do the trick for me...still need to shut off twice or suspend,
right now i am loading the new Nightly, will report back after install.
(2013-11-20, 14:01)LeGrandHorg Wrote: Actually, for me it doesn't. D34010WYK, the generic build you linked to above, clean install, latest BIOS from October 17th. It just boots to the high resolution splash screen, then nothing. Cannot SSH to it, no nothing. Sad

Ahh, two reboots and now it works a treat. Now, to figure out the black level and IR remote issues. I'll be digging through this thread... Smile

Edit: Well, that was quick! Now the NUC has beautiful colors and a working remote (thanks to this thread). Woop! My sick daughter is already watching Madagascar 2.
My g/f is watching a movie so i can't update right now, already any words about Multi.Core Performancewith the new Nightly?
(2013-11-20, 14:13)LeGrandHorg Wrote: Ahh, two reboots and now it works a treat. Now, to figure out the black level and IR remote issues. I'll be digging through this thread... Smile

Code:
# RGB fix
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

# IR fix
modprobe -r nuvoton_cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton_cir
Sorry for these noob questions (pls bare with me Wink ):

Why is only the "generic" nightly version build, and not e.g. the "intel"?
Can I flash my current "intel" (stable) version with a "generic" nightly?
How do I flash a new nightly? Using a add-on, or..?
Can I easily shift between nightlies and stable builds?
To update an existing System u just need to download the disired Build (Nightlies, Stables etc.) and copy the 4 Files from the TARGET Folder
into the UPDATE folder of ur XBMC, then reboot and it will autom. update on next boot-up.
This way u can "easily" switch between builds back and forth, for safety u can keep a copy the whole Userdata Folder of ur XBMC somewhere else for Backup.
SUCCESS!

Colors are correct!
Software decoding now has multithreading option that works!

I was able to fully decode the two 40Mbps clips I tried.

My setup: Intel Haswell i3 NUC

--- STEPS ---
- Use the Nov. 20 Generic build here (x64): http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/Ope...r16406.tar

- Create autostart.sh
Quote:echo "#!/bin/sh" > /storage/.config/autostart.sh && chmod +x /storage/.config/autostart.sh
- Edit autostart.sh to include RGB and IR fixes
Quote:nano /storage/.config/autostart.sh
Paste inside autostart.sh file
Quote:# RGB fix
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"

# IR fix
modprobe -r nuvoton_cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton_cir

In XBMC
1. Settings->Video
- Enable "Expert" level at the bottom of the left-hand menu

2. Settings->Video->Playback
- Disable VAAPI
- Enable "Frame Multi Threaded Decoding"

3. Settings->System
- Enable "Use limited colour range (16-235)"

That's it!

Video calibration tests all pass and the i3 is able to handle at least 40Mbps MKV files with software decoding (I've only tried two of them, and nothing of higher bitrate). But, for comparison, one of the 40Mbps files would only play at 12fps before Multi Threaded Decoding, now it plays at 24fps!

A great big thank you to lmyllari for all the hard work and dedication in researching these issues and helping everyone understand them!
What's the disadvantage of using SW decoding over HW decoding (other than CPU load)? I imagine there are some.
(2013-11-20, 17:14)voip-ninja Wrote: What's the disadvantage of using SW decoding over HW decoding (other than CPU load)? I imagine there are some.

I thought I read that even with SW decoding, the colors are still off?
In Windows 7 Ultimate N: MKV Bluray rips take forever to start playing on my NUC i3 haswell. I upped the video memory to 1G and I have 8G of RAM total. I had a ton of sound and video issues with XBMCBuntu and noticed the same long delay. Openelec was a little better but had the issue displaying blacks. BoxeeBox plays them just fine.
(2013-11-20, 17:20)Selene Wrote: I thought I read that even with SW decoding, the colors are still off?
Not true.

Not with the setting combination that lmyllari discovered.

See my post just above yours: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1554935
with hardware acceleration disabled how is fan noise on playback?
(2013-11-20, 18:07)furii Wrote: with hardware acceleration disabled how is fan noise on playback?

I am sitting at 3m and can't hear the fan. (compared to my noisy Xtreamer Ultra 2 or the PS3, it's like having no fan).

(2013-11-20, 16:52)Alchete Wrote: SUCCESS!

Colors are correct!
Software decoding now has multithreading option that works!

I was able to fully decode the two 40Mbps clips I tried.

There's still a problem with 3D blurays (remxued to mkv). I am playing them back in 2D (have no 3D TV so can't test 3D) but within 3 or 4 minutes I get 10 dropped frames with the i3. It is watchable (before multithreading it didn't work), but the dropped frames from time to time (especially on fast scenes) are bothersome. So I am back to vaapi as the blacks weren't such a big issue for me.

But the colors are indeed beautiful. Picture quality is better than the PS3 and a lot better than the WDTV Live (postprocessing, advanced GL shaders and 100% high quality scaling on).

Another issue: HD audio passtrhough (TrueHD,...) doesn't work properly for me. Is it working for everyone? Any ideas?
  • 32(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7