• 39(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2013-11-21, 00:20)Selene Wrote:
(2013-11-20, 23:51)merlinn31 Wrote:
(2013-11-20, 23:43)Selene Wrote: Time to downgrade. =)

Tried enabling true full screen and it didn't work. XBMC just stops responding, mouse won't move, no "working", nothing. Then a long time later it will start playing, but seeking breaks it again. Are you guys running wired or wireless?

Also, I'm running 12.2 with the base skin.

I wouldnt dream of running a huge file like that wirelessly.

You're missing out then Smile The Boxee plays them flawlessly, but again, XBMC freezes or takes a long, long time. I've tried every audio setting possible switching from HDMI to analog to optical. ISOs freeze, MKVs freeze. Some SD stuff runs okay. HD TV shows seem to work okay most of the time. I've disabled all advanced audio settings. I experienced this same behavior in XBMC under Linux as well. I also experienced this behavior wired and wireless. I don't understand how no one else is having these issues.
(2013-11-22, 01:42)merlinn31 Wrote:
(2013-11-21, 00:20)Selene Wrote:
(2013-11-20, 23:51)merlinn31 Wrote: Tried enabling true full screen and it didn't work. XBMC just stops responding, mouse won't move, no "working", nothing. Then a long time later it will start playing, but seeking breaks it again. Are you guys running wired or wireless?

Also, I'm running 12.2 with the base skin.

I wouldnt dream of running a huge file like that wirelessly.

You're missing out then Smile The Boxee plays them flawlessly, but again, XBMC freezes or takes a long, long time. I've tried every audio setting possible switching from HDMI to analog to optical. ISOs freeze, MKVs freeze. Some SD stuff runs okay. HD TV shows seem to work okay most of the time. I've disabled all advanced audio settings. I experienced this same behavior in XBMC under Linux as well. I also experienced this behavior wired and wireless. I don't understand how no one else is having these issues.

It sounds like your issue is a really big problem, if its happening across multiple OS's, is it time to start thinking about possible 'faulty' hardware?

Are you unable to play videos on anything else (other than xbmc) on any os? I had a similar experience when trying to play iso's on windows but no where near as bad as your descibing. It randomly would freeze and just display a black screen - all of that fixed now in the latest drivers released today (win 7).

To me if its happening across multiple OS I'd be starting to look at hardware if you haven't already >.<
thinking about putting together one of the Haswell Nuc's for an htpc and have a question about audio... does it support running audio through both the mini HDMI and the mini display port simultaneously? reason I am asking is I want to connect it to my hdtv and my receiver.. there will be times I will want to just watch a movie with the tv on and other times I might want to watch it through the surround sound. would be nice to accomplish this without having to constantly change the audio settings. ... hope I am making sense

oh sorry I forgot to add ill be using windows 7 64 bit on it.
(2013-11-22, 03:21)Platypus2 Wrote:
(2013-11-22, 01:42)merlinn31 Wrote:
(2013-11-21, 00:20)Selene Wrote: I wouldnt dream of running a huge file like that wirelessly.

It sounds like your issue is a really big problem, if its happening across multiple OS's, is it time to start thinking about possible 'faulty' hardware?

Are you unable to play videos on anything else (other than xbmc) on any os? I had a similar experience when trying to play iso's on windows but no where near as bad as your descibing. It randomly would freeze and just display a black screen - all of that fixed now in the latest drivers released today (win 7).

To me if its happening across multiple OS I'd be starting to look at hardware if you haven't already >.<

I JUST (yesterday) received a replacement because I was getting messages about USB hub surges. I don't get those messages on the new one but still getting issues playing a lot of movies. I'll try downloading VLC Player and see how it acts.
(2013-11-22, 05:49)HoogooseD.Moose Wrote: does it support running audio through both the mini HDMI and the mini display port simultaneously? reason I am asking is I want to connect it to my hdtv and my receiver.. there will be times I will want to just watch a movie with the tv on and other times I might want to watch it through the surround sound

oh sorry I forgot to add ill be using windows 7 64 bit on it.

I think that in Windows you have to specify which audio output device you want to use. Also XBMC also makes you select one output device. So you are probably constrained by the software.

A modern AV Receiver should have HDMI passthrough, and allow the sound to go to the TV when it is turned off. I have HTPC->AVR->TV. When AVR is turned off the sound still comes out of the TV.

If you don't have passthrough on the AVR, then you could try via the TV. HTPC->TV via HDMI then TV->AVR via optical.

(2013-11-20, 23:51)merlinn31 Wrote: Tried enabling true full screen and it didn't work. XBMC just stops responding, mouse won't move, no "working", nothing. Then a long time later it will start playing, but seeking breaks it again. Are you guys running wired or wireless?

XBMC often does this when you have the wrong Audio output device selected. Try different audio output selections within the XBMC settings. (e.g. on my laptop if I have HDMI output selected, but no HDMI lead connected, then it stutters and stalls badly).
Thanks... as it is I don't run it that way...
my oppo bdp-93 has one hdmi going to the tv and another to the avr
my ps3 has the hdmi going to the tv and the optical sdif to the avr..
I have it this way for the same reason as I don't have to have have the AVR on to watch/listen on the tv.
I run an integra dtc 9.8 prepro and a rotel rmb 1095 amp.. which is a massive power hog id rather not have them on when I don't need them.
I think I could just put a shortcut on the desktop to change the audio signal when I need to.
(2013-11-22, 00:55)aesalazar Wrote:
(2013-11-22, 00:22)Metagoudabuntu Wrote: Some questions about this particular IR sensor...

1. Is it controlled by a "windows media" remote as I have seen suggested?
2. Can it be used to power the device on and off (and from a full shutdown)?
3. I have a learning remote control, that I can teach commands from other remotes - could I teach windows remote control commands to my sony remote commander?

Thanks

Yes. Yes. Yes.

My NUC is on its way back for a replacement but I was using a cheap MCE remote I have to testing and it works right out of the box including power on/off. I normally run URC remotes which are all learning and teach them the IRs from the MCE remote. All work as expected..

Ernie

(2013-11-22, 01:11)arokh Wrote: At least in Linux you can use load all IR protocols and use any remote you like. I can turn it on with my HTC One Smile

Thanks guys,

I am in linux alright. Think I will grab a WM remote on amazon and take it from there.

I don't think the load protocols will help me be able to turn it on with my sony remote without having a code to teacj=h, since it won't change the power on (from shutdown) commands, right?
I just acquired (waiting for delivery) of a NUC Kit D54250WYK (BOXD54250WYK) - no power cord I have some laying around.

innards will be

WD WD7500BPKT 2.5" 750GB 7200rpm 16MB SATA2 HDD Black < Because SSD's are overrated yuk.
8GB (2x4GB) Ballistix Sport DDR3 SO-DIMM 1600MHz PC3-12800 CL9 1.35/1.50V XMP < Because it will be used on dual boot for graphic applications 3D rendering etc and stripped Linux + XBMC (no window managers and no desktop)

I wonder what IR receiver chip it has (anyone know which?) and how hard it will be to setup with regular MCE over Linux +Lirc

Traditionally I am a Nvidia fan (Since MY XBMC's all on Linux, ION1 user and lovely it still is (buttery smooth playback), so it will have a great deal to prove this NUC. We shall see.
(2013-11-22, 12:08)uNiversal Wrote: WD WD7500BPKT 2.5" 750GB 7200rpm 16MB SATA2 HDD Black < Because SSD's are overrated yuk.

2.5" drive will not fit inside. You need an mSATA SSD.
You can wait for release of D54250WYKH - H means 'high' i think. It will have room for 2.5" drive.

750Gb drive is a strange choice. It will fill up fast with movies, so will not be big enough. If it is only for OS then it is way too big.
In your case I would get 60Gb or 120Gb SSD for OS and applications, and store movies and graphics files on external USB3.0 HDD or NAS.
You could boot from USB as a workaround.
argh what a pita, hate ssd... now I regreat buying it.. however got a

Crucial M500 120GB mSATA Internal SSD < should be enough for Regular windows + all graphic/architecture software and Linux+xbmc.

The other hdd is something I had lying around not for movies or anything so doesnt matter as long as it does what is supposed to.
(2013-11-21, 21:28)Alchete Wrote: Well, I won't say it all works for me -- I just haven't run into any issues yet, but I haven't pushed lots of different formats through it in one sitting.

Did you try playing several MKV's with HD audio?

Quote:Is there an exact sequence of events that always causes an audio failure?

I've tried pinpointing an exact sequence that causes it but it seems somewhat random. In any case, it is triggered very quickly after starting and stopping a movie with HD audio. I think 100% of the times if you try to play two different movies with HD audio, the sound will disappear.
i solved my issue with the r16406. When creating livestick it created it in just 2 seconds, no way it had time to format and copy files in that short time, so i manually formatted the stick and istalled livestick again. It worked great this time.
blacks are ok now after editing the autostart.sh

When i mount my movie catalog w NFS now i cant get the scraper to download info, anyone come up with a solution for this?

I also edited the autostart.sh in r16398 and the blacks were ok.
The scraper did download all info here for my movies. Whats the difference between r16398 and r16406?
2 x NUC I5 4250U, 16GB Cruical, 120GB Kingston mSata
OPPO BDP-95
Netgear ReadyNAS RDPU4000, 4 x RED 3TB
JVC DLA-X95/RS66
Integra DHC-80.3, 2 x Sunfire TGA-7401
9.2 Sunfire 10 x CRS3C, 2 x CRM2-Bip

(2013-11-22, 13:08)arokh Wrote: Did you try playing several MKV's with HD audio?
I just tried playing everything in my test folder: mix of Dolby and DTS, Master-HD, HD-MA, etc. I pressed stop on each one and played them all back to back.

Everything played flawlessly.

I'm using a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable connected to my receiver. Audio is set to passthrough. My equipment is in my signature

HASWELL NUC POWER CONSUMPTION

In case anyone is curious about the power draw of the new Haswell NUCs, I hooked mine up to a Kill-a-watt and measured.

i3 Haswell NUC (D34010WYK)
---------------------------------------------
IDLE (at XBMC main menu): 10-11W
PLAYING (software decoding): 13W
SUSPEND (XBMC power save setting): 6W

Pretty outstanding.

So, it draws 6W if left in a "suspend" state that turns off the display but can still be woken up by a press of the remote.
Intel i3 Haswell NUC D34010WYK / Yamaha RX-V673 receiver / Panasonic VT-50 plasma TV
New Windows 7 driver for NUC graphics released: https://communities.intel.com/thread/386...4&tstart=0
Already has been posted... but windows + nuc = just works, and is awesome. Smile

I found out that the power button on my nuc still works fyi, it just only powers the thing off if it's not already on. It's not a hardware issue, it's a bios issue, most likely.
  • 39(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7