• 45(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2013-11-23, 06:08)merlinn31 Wrote: So apparently Windows doesn't do well with NFS, but I should have known that. I switched to SMB and a hardwire link and it's definitely more tolerable and actually plays all my files, but still takes a good 10-20 seconds to begin playing them. Sometimes 30 seconds. This is on an unsaturated 1Gbps link. The Boxee plays the same movie wirelessly (N) in less than 5 seconds. It's weird too because sometimes I'll play a movie and it will insta-play on XBMC. Sometimes I'll play the same movie later and it will take the standard 10-30 seconds to start. VLC plays the same movie immediately. Once it starts playing it plays fine.

Is this a NUC issue, an XBMC issue, or a user issue?

sounds like whatever you're trying to play is on a spun down server. does it take as long to start if you stop the movie and restart it?
(2013-11-23, 17:48)solamnic Wrote:
(2013-11-23, 17:33)mushoss Wrote: I just purchased an i3 NUC Haswell from Newegg (through ebay) for $256.49. Newegg had it for $284.89. Ebay had sent me a 10% off coupon for purchases through their mobile app. It was good through today so I pulled the trigger. Now I need to nail down which RAM to purchase, thinking of going with Crucial 8 gb. Will this work http://www.ebay.com/itm/251336690182 Also need to get a wi-fi / blue tooth any recommendations on that.

4GB 204-Pin SoDIMM DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 512Mx64 • 2Rx8

ram is ok

(2013-11-23, 18:13)joelbaby Wrote:
(2013-11-23, 17:33)mushoss Wrote: which RAM to purchase, thinking of going with Crucial 8 gb.

8Gb is overkill. You could just get a 4Gb stick and save $40. As someone already pointed out, make sure it is 1.35V . Sometimes it says DDR3L (L means low voltage).

I am confused someone please help. I am being told 4gb of ram is enough, get 1.35v etc. But when I search it comes up with single sticks at 4 gb, or 2 sticks at 2 gb. Could someone please give me a link to the crucial 4gb RAM that i can use, preferably on ebay.
NUC I3 Haswell with external 4TB HD, Windows 8.1
Onkyo TX-NR626 Receiver
LG 55" LCD
Cat 6 wired ethernet
Controlled with:
Logitech Harmony 880 remote
Lenovo N5902 remote keyboard/mouse
Single 4 is fine.
(2013-11-23, 19:39)mushoss Wrote: I am confused someone please help. I am being told 4gb of ram is enough, get 1.35v etc. But when I search it comes up with single sticks at 4 gb, or 2 sticks at 2 gb. Could someone please give me a link to the crucial 4gb RAM that i can use, preferably on ebay.

I put 2 of these in mine:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/crucial-4gb-...75933.html
(2013-11-23, 19:39)mushoss Wrote:
(2013-11-23, 17:48)solamnic Wrote:
(2013-11-23, 17:33)mushoss Wrote: I just purchased an i3 NUC Haswell from Newegg (through ebay) for $256.49. Newegg had it for $284.89. Ebay had sent me a 10% off coupon for purchases through their mobile app. It was good through today so I pulled the trigger. Now I need to nail down which RAM to purchase, thinking of going with Crucial 8 gb. Will this work http://www.ebay.com/itm/251336690182 Also need to get a wi-fi / blue tooth any recommendations on that.

4GB 204-Pin SoDIMM DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 512Mx64 • 2Rx8

ram is ok

(2013-11-23, 18:13)joelbaby Wrote:
(2013-11-23, 17:33)mushoss Wrote: which RAM to purchase, thinking of going with Crucial 8 gb.

8Gb is overkill. You could just get a 4Gb stick and save $40. As someone already pointed out, make sure it is 1.35V . Sometimes it says DDR3L (L means low voltage).

I am confused someone please help. I am being told 4gb of ram is enough, get 1.35v etc. But when I search it comes up with single sticks at 4 gb, or 2 sticks at 2 gb. Could someone please give me a link to the crucial 4gb RAM that i can use, preferably on ebay.

The single 8GB stick may be overkill, but at that price it wont hurt buying specially 1600Mhz memory at CL9, 1.35v, whenever I buy ram I buy direct from crucial.com or co.uk (as Micron parent company) manufactures the ram chips themselves. and I always double check with their memory configuration/checker just for curiosity on what they offer as alternatives and to ensure I dindt boob it up.

Today your use as HTPC only may be a everyday PC tomorrow, whenever there's new toys and you upgrade so 8GB may be a future proofing and wise idea.
You need less than 1gb of RAM to run OpenELEC.

Also don't forget, using 2 sticks of RAM will also draw more power.
(2013-11-23, 19:35)arokh Wrote: gamble did you check if HD audio is working for you if you set 23.98 refresh in GUI? Works every time here, I think there's some bug triggered if you're on 60Hz and XBMC changes refresh before playing the movie.

Been playing a while on the stable version to get a clue how the sound problem triggers, for me it is if i enable "Autom. FPS detection" in
the Video Settings, when i turn it OFF and reboot it sound works again.
I am uploading some more Movies and will maybe later try to flash my "stable" build up to R19398 where i can enable Multithreading and limited RGB...if that works i think im gonna wait a bit longer till it really runs like it should..

U should try that too.
(2013-11-23, 19:35)arokh Wrote: gamble did you check if HD audio is working for you if you set 23.98 refresh in GUI? Works every time here, I think there's some bug triggered if you're on 60Hz and XBMC changes refresh before playing the movie.
I think you're onto something.

I set my GUI to 60Hz and disabled mode switching to avoid any switches, and HD audio seems stable.

edit: still something weird - 5.1ch PCM gets sent as 7.1 to the receiver. If I set xbmc to 5.1 output, I get crackling output.

edit2: 23.976 works too. I can actually start the playback, go to settings and switch refresh rates and the audio keeps playing fine after the mode is switched. Maybe it is a timing issue opening audio while switching modes.
(2013-11-23, 19:36)furii Wrote:
(2013-11-23, 06:08)merlinn31 Wrote: So apparently Windows doesn't do well with NFS, but I should have known that. I switched to SMB and a hardwire link and it's definitely more tolerable and actually plays all my files, but still takes a good 10-20 seconds to begin playing them. Sometimes 30 seconds. This is on an unsaturated 1Gbps link. The Boxee plays the same movie wirelessly (N) in less than 5 seconds. It's weird too because sometimes I'll play a movie and it will insta-play on XBMC. Sometimes I'll play the same movie later and it will take the standard 10-30 seconds to start. VLC plays the same movie immediately. Once it starts playing it plays fine.

Is this a NUC issue, an XBMC issue, or a user issue?

sounds like whatever you're trying to play is on a spun down server. does it take as long to start if you stop the movie and restart it?

Ended up being a library issue. After switching from NFS to SMB and deleting 10 or so movies that XBMC couldn't pull codec info on, movies start instantly now.

I also had issues in Windows where the wireless card would work for a while and then kick me off, then when I tried to reconnect the driver would crash and I couldn't connect to any wireless again without restarting. The fix for this was to turn off power saving in the bios.
(2013-11-23, 21:31)lmyllari Wrote:
I think you're onto something.

I set my GUI to 60Hz and disabled mode switching to avoid any switches, and HD audio seems stable.

edit: still something weird - 5.1ch PCM gets sent as 7.1 to the receiver. If I set xbmc to 5.1 output, I get crackling output.

Yeah, what i am seeing, my GUI is also set to 60Hz and i disabled the "Mode switching" (sorry i didn't knew the exact. engl. Word)
Audio is on 7.1 and passthrough with all Options on (DTS-HD, DD ...), this way everything works so far, just colors are off and disabling VA-AVI
without Multithreading gets too slow sometimes..

(2013-11-23, 18:19)lmyllari Wrote: Another build? In addition to the one in my post above?

sry didnt see u already posted, will try later !

(2013-11-23, 21:31)lmyllari Wrote: edit2: 23.976 works too. I can actually start the playback, go to settings and switch refresh rates and the audio keeps playing fine after the mode is switched. Maybe it is a timing issue opening audio while switching modes.

Try rebooting after u set the Switch refresh rates to automatic, if i do so i Encounter loosing Sound again...at least with the stable 3.2.3..
Wasn't there someone here who didn't have this issue? What kind of AVR do you have and which output are you using? HDMI/DP
(2013-11-23, 23:23)arokh Wrote: Wasn't there someone here who didn't have this issue? What kind of AVR do you have and which output are you using? HDMI/DP
I think I was the one. I'm not getting any audio issues when playing different test HD audio clips (I still haven't had time to watch a movie).

- I have all HD audio all set "passthrough".
- 5.1 speaker configuration.
- I haven't touched any refresh rate settings.

I'm running the Nov. 20 daily build, with VA-API disabled, Frame Multithreading enabled.

My equipment is in my signature.

You folks with the audio issues, are you all on the PAL standard? Just curious. I'm NTSC.
Intel i3 Haswell NUC D34010WYK / Yamaha RX-V673 receiver / Panasonic VT-50 plasma TV
(2013-11-23, 18:04)lmyllari Wrote: I did some patching based on the recent developments. You can see my work at https://github.com/laurimyllari/OpenELEC...-on-master

I took the VA-API colorspace fixes from staging. This should fix both SD and HD colorspace issues. I've only tried HD, but that seems good. I'll need to find some SD test material.

I made a small patch to kernel based on Ville's advice to fix the black levels in limited range output. I also implemented a pass-through mode for use with sw decoding and 16:235 range in xbmc.

These should fix the grey blacks and inaccurate colors. There are three ways to configure:

1) GPU scaled limited range output: This is the default setting when connected to a TV. There is no need for any settings - remove xrandr from Autostart.sh to use this.

2) Full range output: This is the default when connected to a computer monitor. This can also be forced with the xrandr setting in Autostart.sh.

Image should look identical between #1 and #2. If the screen supports switching RGB input ranges, both should be signaled automatically - otherwise #2 is used. Leave everything at default and things should work right automatically.

There is another way for better quality:

3) Direct limited range output: This allow for BtB, WtW and avoids banding. Software decoding needs to be used (VA-API output is first clipped and scaled to full range). Configure xbmc for 16-235 output and no hardware decoding. Use xrandr to set "Broadcast RGB" to "Video 16:235 pass-through" (this allows full range output, but tells the screen content is limited range)

There is a build based on recent OE master (with Gotham) at https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4cqdn8vh324cp...r16417.tar

If you still see black level problems with this build, please post numbers and details ( you can follow instructions at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1555766 )
the dropbox link doesnt work
2 x NUC I5 4250U, 16GB Cruical, 120GB Kingston mSata
OPPO BDP-95
Netgear ReadyNAS RDPU4000, 4 x RED 3TB
JVC DLA-X95/RS66
Integra DHC-80.3, 2 x Sunfire TGA-7401
9.2 Sunfire 10 x CRS3C, 2 x CRM2-Bip

(2013-11-24, 03:52)Ravetrancer Wrote:
(2013-11-23, 18:04)lmyllari Wrote: I did some patching based on the recent developments. You can see my work at https://github.com/laurimyllari/OpenELEC...-on-master

I took the VA-API colorspace fixes from staging. This should fix both SD and HD colorspace issues. I've only tried HD, but that seems good. I'll need to find some SD test material.

I made a small patch to kernel based on Ville's advice to fix the black levels in limited range output. I also implemented a pass-through mode for use with sw decoding and 16:235 range in xbmc.

These should fix the grey blacks and inaccurate colors. There are three ways to configure:

1) GPU scaled limited range output: This is the default setting when connected to a TV. There is no need for any settings - remove xrandr from Autostart.sh to use this.

2) Full range output: This is the default when connected to a computer monitor. This can also be forced with the xrandr setting in Autostart.sh.

Image should look identical between #1 and #2. If the screen supports switching RGB input ranges, both should be signaled automatically - otherwise #2 is used. Leave everything at default and things should work right automatically.

There is another way for better quality:

3) Direct limited range output: This allow for BtB, WtW and avoids banding. Software decoding needs to be used (VA-API output is first clipped and scaled to full range). Configure xbmc for 16-235 output and no hardware decoding. Use xrandr to set "Broadcast RGB" to "Video 16:235 pass-through" (this allows full range output, but tells the screen content is limited range)

There is a build based on recent OE master (with Gotham) at https://www.dropbox.com/s/s4cqdn8vh324cp...r16417.tar

If you still see black level problems with this build, please post numbers and details ( you can follow instructions at http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1555766 )
the dropbox link doesnt work

Link working fine atm.

(2013-11-23, 19:57)aesalazar Wrote:
(2013-11-23, 19:39)mushoss Wrote: I am confused someone please help. I am being told 4gb of ram is enough, get 1.35v etc. But when I search it comes up with single sticks at 4 gb, or 2 sticks at 2 gb. Could someone please give me a link to the crucial 4gb RAM that i can use, preferably on ebay.

I put 2 of these in mine:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/crucial-4gb-...75933.html

Intel publish all the tested memory on this page for future reference;

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...034378.htm
I'm looking into buying a NUC to use for an htpc to play hi10p anime. My bitrate goes up as high as 33 Mbps at times. Would the i3-4010U in the BOXD34010WYK1 be able to play it flawlessly, or should I go with the i5-4250U in the D54250WYK?
  • 45(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7