• 48(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Immylare: thanks for all contribution to us users. Thanks for taking time to help us out.
I installed and reinstalled your latest r16417 a couple of times now.

I had some issues with it.

Intel NUC i5 Haswell, Cruicial 16GB ram CL11 1600Mhz, Kingston 120Gb mSata.
I have 2 of these so i can compare them side by side.

First thing was that the remote didnt work so i put the CIR codes in autostart.sh, and then it was ok again.

But there is an issue that happens all the time and that is that xbmc freezes when i start a movie and i have to restart xbmc. I dont know yet whats causing this exactly, but the last 3 times it did freeze i was trying to play Killa.Sampla mkv clip. I can hear the sound in the background while im still in the movielist and the picture under movielist is also dark grey. The time ticker then freezes at 00:07/00:23 seconds.
On the other Nuc i have the r16408 and it plays the Killa.Sampla clip ok.

Colors seem to be fine on r16417 but i havent looked in to it 100% yet.
Vdpau on
Prefer Vdpau, on
Vaapi, on
Frame Multi, on
Monitor, HDMI1
23.98 FPS
16-235, off
30 minutes later.
The issue of freezing is with Vaapi enabled. Vappi enabled manage just to play SD movies, no HD movies at all.
So i think my whole post was meaningless Sad

but i have a ggod news about the shutdown of the NUC, see my nest post in a couple of minutes
2 x NUC I5 4250U, 16GB Cruical, 120GB Kingston mSata
OPPO BDP-95
Netgear ReadyNAS RDPU4000, 4 x RED 3TB
JVC DLA-X95/RS66
Integra DHC-80.3, 2 x Sunfire TGA-7401
9.2 Sunfire 10 x CRS3C, 2 x CRM2-Bip

Keep your NUC off without rebooting!!!! SolutionHuh

it is like this.

I have 2 NUCs, and they are stacked on eachother during my testing of builds back and forth.
So while turning them on and off i ssaw that one of them sometimes didnt reboot after shutting down with the remote.
How could that be?
I sytarted experimenting with the.
When u start your NUC you will be able to shut it down with the remote powerbutton as long as you dont put on a movie, you can go around in the menu and shut it off without it rebooting.

So i kept on experimenting because after watching a movie and i shut it off the NUC rebooted rightHuh Right!

I then tried to presst STOP once more and then shut it off and woooooaaa it stayed OFF!!!!

So there is the Solution for now. Its not otimal but maybe the guys who code all builds and stuff can understand whats going on.

It also works with the keyboard, just press X 2 times after watching a movie and then you can turn the nuc off without having it rebooting.

Press STOP 2 times on remote, turn of NUC = No reboot

Press X 2 times on keyboard = No reboot

edit, i have the new Bios on one of the NUCs and the Old one on the other, so it is not Bios related i think
OPPO BDP-95
JVC DLA-X95/RS66

i tried also to press STOP and X when i was back in the menu screen and then shut it off and that worked too Smile
OPPO BDP-95
JVC DLA-X95/RS66

running the fixed version from llymari's dropbox -- colors are fine, even vaapi enabled.

my VC-1 mkv's are crashing however, not sure if that's because of the patch, or because of the file.

They work fine under windows... I'll have to try different options and stuff when I can
Is anyone playing with a NUC and NOT using OE? So far I've had issues getting the boot record properly setup but got past that. Now I'm trying to get sound working over HDMI and as usual it's a hassle so I'd like to network with others. I've yanked PulseAudio off the load but ALSA is proving troublesome per usual...

I'm tempted to go OE but I really like being able to pull code from Git to compile myself :-(
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
is everyone sleeping??
I want to know if my findings works on all others NUCs and not just mine. Smile
OPPO BDP-95
JVC DLA-X95/RS66

update: VC-1's crash on any setting other than software decoding
(2013-11-25, 01:57)Selene Wrote: update: VC-1's crash on any setting other than software decoding
can u please test my solution for turning of the NUC without it rebooting, 3 post before this one.

I can try a vc-1 movie, can u give me a example of a titlw to try?
OPPO BDP-95
JVC DLA-X95/RS66

(2013-11-25, 01:57)Selene Wrote: update: VC-1's crash on any setting other than software decoding

VC1's are fine for me with vaapi (I tested only mkvs).
(2013-11-25, 01:47)BLKMGK Wrote: Is anyone playing with a NUC and NOT using OE? So far I've had issues getting the boot record properly setup but got past that. Now I'm trying to get sound working over HDMI and as usual it's a hassle so I'd like to network with others. I've yanked PulseAudio off the load but ALSA is proving troublesome per usual...

I'm tempted to go OE but I really like being able to pull code from Git to compile myself :-(

Sure, I'm on Arch and here is my asound.conf:

[code]defaults.pcm.card 0
defaults.pcm.device 7
defaults.ctl.card 0
[/quote]

Don't think you need more than that, I'm not using Pulseaudio.
(2013-11-25, 02:21)arokh Wrote:
(2013-11-25, 01:47)BLKMGK Wrote: Is anyone playing with a NUC and NOT using OE? So far I've had issues getting the boot record properly setup but got past that. Now I'm trying to get sound working over HDMI and as usual it's a hassle so I'd like to network with others. I've yanked PulseAudio off the load but ALSA is proving troublesome per usual...

Sure, I'm on Arch and here is my asound.conf:

[code]defaults.pcm.card 0
defaults.pcm.device 7
defaults.ctl.card 0

Don't think you need more than that, I'm not using Pulseaudio.
[/quote]

THANK YOU! I'll try this ASAP when I'm home, really appreciate it. I'm on Mint15 and had some real issues with Grub. Ubuntu and Mint both refused to boot after loading but a Grub Rescue fixed me up. Did you have to update ALSA or the kernel? Which version of Arch, I'm not married to Mnt but really hate the Unity style interface. Mint has some overscan issues on my Sharp panel too so switching is certainly something I might consider, none of the scaling fixes I've tried have worked.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
(2013-11-25, 02:16)Mangoes Wrote:

Have you tried dts hd MA or true hd?
(2013-11-25, 02:37)Selene Wrote:
(2013-11-25, 02:16)Mangoes Wrote:

Have you tried dts hd MA or true hd?

The VC1's I have are with FLAC audio.

The TrueHD and DTS-HDMA mkvs I have tested (with H264 video, and I only have 1 of each, everything else in HD audio is in FLAC, or DTS-HR when there's no HDMA to convert to FLAC) only work when the XBMC refresh rate is set to 23.98. With 50hz passthrough doesn't work.
(2013-11-24, 23:42)fritsch Wrote: @Imyllari:
I picked the color transform patches from libva-driver-intel upstream into OE. I am not convinced of the kernel patch. I pinged you in the PR. Will push tomorrow. Thanks for investing so much time to make OSS / xbmc / OpenELEC much better on Intel hardware.
fritsch, thanks a lot for picking those up and looking at the kernel patches. I would suggest taking only the level coefficient patch based on https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71769#c9

I think there will be an upstream fix soon, but this issue breaks the default configuration on Haswell (limited range output) and leads to grey blacks. The other patch is more of a proof-of-concept and the code is not very nice. It should work right though.

My thinking is to try to get some feedback from the drm devs on how to do it properly, add limited range support to VA-API and then integrate with xbmc 16..235 setting, so the user can control color range directly from the GUI.

(2013-11-25, 01:01)Ravetrancer Wrote: But there is an issue that happens all the time and that is that xbmc freezes when i start a movie and i have to restart xbmc. I dont know yet whats causing this exactly, but the last 3 times it did freeze i was trying to play Killa.Sampla mkv clip. I can hear the sound in the background while im still in the movielist and the picture under movielist is also dark grey. The time ticker then freezes at 00:07/00:23 seconds.

Vdpau on
Prefer Vdpau, on
Vaapi, on
Frame Multi, on
Monitor, HDMI1
23.98 FPS
16-235, off
30 minutes later.
The issue of freezing is with Vaapi enabled. Vappi enabled manage just to play SD movies, no HD movies at all.
Disable frame multithreading if you use hardware decoding. That should take care of your crashes.
(2013-11-25, 03:20)lmyllari Wrote:
(2013-11-24, 23:42)fritsch Wrote: @Imyllari:
I picked the color transform patches from libva-driver-intel upstream into OE. I am not convinced of the kernel patch. I pinged you in the PR. Will push tomorrow. Thanks for investing so much time to make OSS / xbmc / OpenELEC much better on Intel hardware.
fritsch, thanks a lot for picking those up and looking at the kernel patches. I would suggest taking only the level coefficient patch based on https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71769#c9

I think there will be an upstream fix soon, but this issue breaks the default configuration on Haswell (limited range output) and leads to grey blacks. The other patch is more of a proof-of-concept and the code is not very nice. It should work right though.

My thinking is to try to get some feedback from the drm devs on how to do it properly, add limited range support to VA-API and then integrate with xbmc 16..235 setting, so the user can control color range directly from the GUI.

(2013-11-25, 01:01)Ravetrancer Wrote: But there is an issue that happens all the time and that is that xbmc freezes when i start a movie and i have to restart xbmc. I dont know yet whats causing this exactly, but the last 3 times it did freeze i was trying to play Killa.Sampla mkv clip. I can hear the sound in the background while im still in the movielist and the picture under movielist is also dark grey. The time ticker then freezes at 00:07/00:23 seconds.

Vdpau on
Prefer Vdpau, on
Vaapi, on
Frame Multi, on
Monitor, HDMI1
23.98 FPS
16-235, off
30 minutes later.
Disable frame multithreading if you use hardware decoding. That should take care of your crashes.

Did u see my post about how to turn off the Nuc without it rebooting again?
Is it possible to make a code so that pressing stop or X twice wouldnt be necessary?
Do u have rebooting issue when powering off?
Could u try to play a movie and then press stop or x twice and then power off and see if it reboots for u?

After disabling Vaapi, HD material works.
About software vd hardware decoding, isnt it ment that we use the intel graphics for decoding?
Whats to prefer software decoding or hardware decoding?
OPPO BDP-95
JVC DLA-X95/RS66

• 48(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7