• 56(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
@all on the latest Nightly

Can u refresh ur video libary (NFS Mounted) ?
Here is what I noticed about audo passthrough on the NUC (Windows, but about to test OE as well):

- When you start a video in XBMC (Frodo 12.2 stable in my case), audio correctly passes through to the receiver -- even HD audio codecs like DTS-MA.
- However, when you Stop a video file from playing, the system does not "reset" the audio channel. The receiver continues to say "DTS Master Audio" after the video is stopped, an no UI sound effecgs play.
- If you start another DTS-HD movie while the system is in this state, it will not play correctly.

I'll spend some more time exploring this, but this is definately a different behavior then my other windows/OE boxes, which reset back to "Multichannel Audio" after a video is stopped.
(2013-11-27, 03:19)tehbrd Wrote: I haven't seen an issue with passthrough on frodo with r16438. I'm at 60 and don't have any issues (as yet).

The issue is with HD audio passthrough, not DTS/AC3. Did you try that?
Hello,

I'm thinking to order a NUC, but I still don't know what I should buy exactly.
I life in the Netherlands, and the prices are bit different that in the US.
My thoughts about what I need to order:

Intel NUC Kit D34010WYK +/- 270 euro
Kingston SSDNow mS200 SMS200S3/30G, 30GB SSD +/- 45 euro
Corsair 4 GB DDR3-1600-11 COR, memory +/- 40 euro

And I also need a Mini HDMI to HDMI converter, something like?

Club 3D Adapter Mini-DisplayPort > HDMI +/- 22 euro

Should this system run OpenELEC/XBMC well?

Remote = iPhone/iPad & Samsung Remote CEC
Storage = Synology NAS

First I was looking building my own HTPC, but after reading this topic my thoughts changed... NUC seems the right (2013) way Smile

Hopefully somebody can advice me what I should buy Smile

Best regards,
DX
I almost have that exact setup; just using Kingston 4GB 1.35v value edition RAM instead...

Yes it runs OpenElec nicely; however just note that there's still some minor issues (read this thread).... I pretty sure all of them will be solved soon, and those that currently are still left are very minor....
Are most of the issues particularly to do with OpenElec then? I think I will simply run XBMCbuntu or Windows as I have never dabbled with OpenElec.
Hi Protax,

Your proposed setup looks good, it's quite similar to the one I've been playing with since last weekend.
There are a couple of things you should consider:

1.Make sure the memory is Low Voltage DDR (1.35v DDR3L).
2. Instead of a MiniDisplayPort - HDMI adapter you can use a cheaper MiniHDMI - HDMI Cable.
3. The NUC does not "speak" CEC out of the box. However, it does have a Custom Solution Header so you could install the Internal HDMI-CEC Adapter from Pulse-Eight (24 euro).

As for it running well with Openelec, yes it does, but for now not right out of the box with the release version, there are still some minor issues with the internal IR receiver and Black/Color rendering. These have all been solved with workarounds (see 3-4 posts above yours) and I expect them to be integrated into the release version pretty soon.

Regards,
Q
(also living in The Netherlands)

(2013-11-27, 12:38)Protax Wrote: Hello,

I'm thinking to order a NUC, but I still don't know what I should buy exactly.
I life in the Netherlands, and the prices are bit different that in the US.
My thoughts about what I need to order:

Intel NUC Kit D34010WYK +/- 270 euro
Kingston SSDNow mS200 SMS200S3/30G, 30GB SSD +/- 45 euro
Corsair 4 GB DDR3-1600-11 COR, memory +/- 40 euro

And I also need a Mini HDMI to HDMI converter, something like?

Club 3D Adapter Mini-DisplayPort > HDMI +/- 22 euro

Should this system run OpenELEC/XBMC well?

Remote = iPhone/iPad & Samsung Remote CEC
Storage = Synology NAS

First I was looking building my own HTPC, but after reading this topic my thoughts changed... NUC seems the right (2013) way Smile

Hopefully somebody can advice me what I should buy Smile

Best regards,
DX
(2013-11-27, 13:56)benholtby Wrote: Are most of the issues particularly to do with OpenElec then? I think I will simply run XBMCbuntu or Windows as I have never dabbled with OpenElec.

No, OpenELEC is the only distribution right now that includes patches for some of the respective issues in the nightly builds. If you use XBMCbuntu then you will need to patch kernel and drivers yourself.
(2013-11-27, 07:55)Clack Wrote:
(2013-11-27, 05:49)lmyllari Wrote:
(2013-11-27, 05:45)tehbrd Wrote: Try the defaults, I assume you're also on the latest BIOS?
I second this, I reset my BIOS to defaults, fixed the boot options and the latest build seems to be shutting down nicely.

Or maybe it's just random and it'll start acting up again.

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm on the latest bios. Reset and saved defaults, same thing. FWIW, upon shutting down the first time after the reset the shutdown hangs.

It look you have very similar problem as me, but then my NUC began to loose contact with USB devices and internal SSD.
I have returned it for revision... after I have got new one as replacement and now works as it should.

I suggest you to do the same... if power button does not work even if you disconnect all devices, including SSD if installed), except RAM of course, then tyou surely have faulty HW.

On the other hand I suffer from F2 entering BIOS problems. When I hit F2, NUC just freezes (I can get into the BIOS once of twenty tryouts). Interestingly F7 and F10 works everytime.
There are a million posts on internet about this problems generaly with Intel.
Do anyone of you have working workaround tip?
FYI - The OE daily with white/black range fix is now available: http://xbmcnightlybuilds.com/openelec-ge...-download/
Intel i3 Haswell NUC D34010WYK / Yamaha RX-V673 receiver / Panasonic VT-50 plasma TV
(2013-11-27, 14:39)Crssi Wrote:
(2013-11-27, 07:55)Clack Wrote:
(2013-11-27, 05:49)lmyllari Wrote: I second this, I reset my BIOS to defaults, fixed the boot options and the latest build seems to be shutting down nicely.

Or maybe it's just random and it'll start acting up again.

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm on the latest bios. Reset and saved defaults, same thing. FWIW, upon shutting down the first time after the reset the shutdown hangs.

It look you have very similar problem as me, but then my NUC began to loose contact with USB devices and internal SSD.
I have returned it for revision... after I have got new one as replacement and now works as it should.

I suggest you to do the same... if power button does not work even if you disconnect all devices, including SSD if installed), except RAM of course, then tyou surely have faulty HW.

On the other hand I suffer from F2 entering BIOS problems. When I hit F2, NUC just freezes (I can get into the BIOS once of twenty tryouts). Interestingly F7 and F10 works everytime.
There are a million posts on internet about this problems generaly with Intel.
Do anyone of you have working workaround tip?

Where did you exchange yours? at the vendor you bought it from?
Yes.
Hi All

Just an update, I'm running lmyllari's build with the blacks/Colour fixed and it's looking great (Not seen Mangoes problem yet with the blocking on reflections but I need to put some movies through it first).

I do however still have the shutdown issue whereby the suspend just causes it to hang and the shutdown (or power off from xbmc app) looks to work, then just fires the box back up again. So for now I'm stuck with switch off at the button, which means I can't test the wake-up because it's never off long enough!.

lmyllari - you mention setting bios to defaults and fixing the boot options, I've never touched the bios other that to update to 0021 and to set usb boot to install the new build of OpenELEC, When you say 'fixed the boot options' do you just mean - set the device to boot to mSata or is there something else I should be doing?

I've not tried the 'pushing stop twice before shutdown' yet, but I'll try it when I next get chance.

Just out of interest I also used ssh to issue the poweroff command and this also just rebooted so I'm totally confused as to the power issue.

Cheers

[Edit] Well, very strange, I just re-applied my autostart.sh after wiping the drive with the new build, now I can power down from xbmc app, but obviously this is a full shutdown, so no WOL, just need to switch on with button for now. If I try to use suspend, it just says 'working' and hangs.
Intel NUC i7 - OpenELEC - 16GB Ram - 1TB NVME/1TB SSD / LG OLED77GX6LA / Denon AVC-X4700H / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Monitor Audio 5.2.4 / Twin REL HT1003

Server: AMD 2950x / 32 GB Ram / 7x Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVME drives / 24 WD Red 4TB HDDs / 10GB Nic / LSI HBA

Network: 1 x MikroTik CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+PC / 2 x MikroTik CRS309-1G-8S+IN 10G / 2 x Ubiquiti NanoHD
(2013-11-27, 07:50)lmyllari Wrote:
(2013-11-27, 01:06)mstef Wrote: You can try, we can test, please.
I've uploaded a 3.2 with color/black fixes to https://www.dropbox.com/s/htrw49uctfo1d0...r15940.tar

Not tested, good luck Tongue

edit: full disclosure - I use the builds from git master

It works, black are not grey. Thanks! BTW power off bug is still here so it could be a kernel issue as you mention before.
AsRock 330 HT, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Openelec 3.2.4
Intel NUC D54250WYK, 4GB RAM, Kingston 120GB SSD, OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20131126081257-r16438
Today I finally got my i3 :-)

It looks great, is fast and I don't hear anything (yet?).

Unfortunately I had 5 crashes or so in the last few hours. It seems Openelec or the nuc can't handle multitasking, as I was watching a movie while sorting other files respectevily listening to music while browsing the setup when the crashes appeared (regarding to just watching a movie or listening to music).

I'm using Openelec 3.2.4 Intel 64bit (from today) and Aeon Nox. I already flashed the newest FW 21.

I got a 2TB USB3.0 HDD, a mouse and an external IR sensor connected.
Internaly I'm using 2GB Corsair Ram (1600, 1,35mV) and a 32GB Corsair mSata SSD.

Does anyone else encounter such problems?
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
  • 56(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7