• 63(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2013-11-30, 18:20)Selene Wrote: That's not the point...it should work, and doesn't. I'm not here to argue codecs :x Also, not only using mkv.

The point is the need to figure out what exactly is broken. Containers, CODECs, and soundtracks all mix together. One person's MKV isn't the same as another's etc. A video container (MKV, MP4, AVI) can contain all sorts of weirdness in it which is why folks want logs and samples of broken stuff. What's in your VC-1 container may not match up with what a developer tests with so he calls it done while you still think it's broken. The more concise the information provided the quicker it can be figured out is all.

Speaking of containers - has anyone got any ideas for how best to catalog a collection to determine what's in it? I mean from the standpoint of X MKV with DTS, X MKV with THD, catalog the bitrates, the containers, things like that. I have a fairly extensive collection of video that should be almost all x.264 encoded but bitrates may vary a little and I know I have everything from AC3 to DTS to THD to even some FLAC as I've varied how I've processed my media over the years. For the purposes of testing it would be really nice if I could see what directory has what but I'll be danged if I'm clear on how best to do a recursive drill down through my collection to catalog this best and would appreciate any ideas!
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Quote:The point is the need to figure out what exactly is broken. Containers, CODECs, and soundtracks all mix together. One person's MKV isn't the same as another's etc. A video container (MKV, MP4, AVI) can contain all sorts of weirdness in it which is why folks want logs and samples of broken stuff. What's in your VC-1 container may not match up with what a developer tests with so he calls it done while you still think it's broken. The more concise the information provided the quicker it can be figured out is all.

Speaking of containers - has anyone got any ideas for how best to catalog a collection to determine what's in it? I mean from the standpoint of X MKV with DTS, X MKV with THD, catalog the bitrates, the containers, things like that. I have a fairly extensive collection of video that should be almost all x.264 encoded but bitrates may vary a little and I know I have everything from AC3 to DTS to THD to even some FLAC as I've varied how I've processed my media over the years. For the purposes of testing it would be really nice if I could see what directory has what but I'll be danged if I'm clear on how best to do a recursive drill down through my collection to catalog this best and would appreciate any ideas!

I agree! That's why I've uploaded test mkvs and such Smile
Some help please:

Memory confuses me so double checking for my sanity. Should this work with the NUC:

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.a...2464BF160B
(2013-11-30, 12:32)Rezin Wrote:
(2013-11-30, 10:46)BLKMGK Wrote: My biggest remaining issue is that OE seems to ignore my advancedsettings.xml file.
What is the owner and group set to for that file? (ls -l advancedsettings.xml)

A permissions issue would certainly be the quickest solution and par for the course for me lately! Sadly ls -l for my advancedsettings.xml file shows as follows:

Code:
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root           424 Nov 29 21:56 advancedsettings.xml

That's the exact same as my sources and and guisettings xml files which seem to be working. The file was copied over from a windows box via SFTP and it had been copied down from another working Linux XBMC install. This file seemed to get read and was working just once before. XBMC was up, I tried to do something I cannot recall, and suddenly I was looking at a black X in the middle of my screen, the GUI had crashed. Before I could take any action it was back having apparently restarted. When it came back up the interface looked much more like my other machines. For instance under movies I had not only Files and Add-Ons but a selection for Music Videos like my other machines display. I'm honestly not sure where that comes from on those machines other than I have a source I've designated as Music Videos (I can recall MTV when it had music videos...). Puzzled I just ASSumed that for some reason it had read my advancedsettings file at last and that something goofy in my network had prevented it from reaching the server previously (it's on my network). alas it didn't stick. Sad

Here's the contents of my advancedsettings.xml. I have verified the IP and that the server etc. is running.
Code:
<advancedsettings>

<videodatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>10.168.1.124</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>

</videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>
        <type>mysql</type>
        <host>10.168.1.124</host>
        <port>3306</port>
        <user>xbmc</user>
        <pass>xbmc</pass>

</musicdatabase>

</advancedsettings>

For those that have multiple XBMC installs having an SQL server parked somewhere and setup like this is very nice. If you stop a vide on one machine it can be picked up from that same spot on another and Watched marks are shared. It's also possible to share Thumbnails and other resources via path substitution but I've not yet tried that.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
(2013-11-30, 19:26)Selene Wrote: Log isn't needed.. fritsch knows what the problem is already.

Great! Thanks for letting us finally know this.

Especially since you don't reply when people are taking the time to test your samples, other than coming back a few days later to tell us "VC-1 still crash". At least now we know and won't spend more time to test for nothing. Tongue

Anyway, glad things seem to be coming together nicely.
(2013-11-30, 08:12)BLKMGK Wrote:
Code:
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir && echo "auto" | tee /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources && modprobe nuvoton-cir

on my OE its nuvoton_cir.
It's because it's a rather recent development... :\
(2013-11-30, 19:44)Acrobat76 Wrote: Some help please:

Memory confuses me so double checking for my sanity. Should this work with the NUC:

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.a...2464BF160B

it should work great Smile
(2013-11-30, 20:03)bardek Wrote:
(2013-11-30, 08:12)BLKMGK Wrote:
Code:
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir && echo "auto" | tee /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources && modprobe nuvoton-cir

on my OE its nuvoton_cir.

A very good catch, I'm seeing it posted both ways and it does seem to work fine on my system, it doesn't seem to make a difference. lmyllari had posted a workaround and it's his I'm using but the way you have it seems to be used just fine by others as well. I'm not using any RGB or other video "tweaks" though FWIW. Just his remote workaround and my SQL attempted madness.
(2013-11-30, 20:06)Selene Wrote: It's because it's a rather recent development... :\

do you mean nuvoton-cir is recent? My OE 3.4.4.
(2013-11-30, 20:18)bardek Wrote:
(2013-11-30, 20:06)Selene Wrote: It's because it's a rather recent development... :\

do you mean nuvoton-cir is recent? My OE 3.4.4.

Sorry, I was responding to Mangoes.

Not sure why on some it's _. Mine was - when I was using OE.
(2013-11-30, 20:17)BLKMGK Wrote: Just his remote workaround and my SQL attempted madness.

so you saying that mysql does not work on his build?
after week of using my NUC D34010WYK I can only complain about problem with entering BIOS. None of guides, how to enter BIOS setup does work in my case. There is one more solution I have not try; connect hdmi to other monitor/tv. But this require some investments etc. So my OE stays on all time Smile as I cannot wake it up from remote.
(2013-11-30, 20:22)bardek Wrote:
(2013-11-30, 20:17)BLKMGK Wrote: Just his remote workaround and my SQL attempted madness.

so you saying that mysql does not work on his build?

I guess that depends on what you mean by MySQL not working. XBMC and I assume Openelec don't usually use this functionallity. My configuration is unusual and one that's generally only useful if you have multiple XBMC installations and you want to share a database for what's been viewed etc. At this point I'm also not sure that there's an issue only that I know I'm having troubles with it right now. I do not think it's strictly NUC related at this point and looking in my XBMC logs I can see the settings being loaded. However Wireshark on my SQL instance (ESX) shows no SQL traffic from my NUC. <shrug>

Unless you really need access to a remote SQL database I wouldn't sweat it. This could still be a configuration issue on my part Confused or perhaps an issue with the XBMC\OE build.
(2013-11-30, 19:21)BLKMGK Wrote:
(2013-11-30, 18:47)bry- Wrote: about to buy this - any naysayers? http://www.amazon.com/Intel-D54250WYK-Di...D54250WYK1

My only reservation would be the price. Vendors are gouging us early adopters. You might want to check and see the stock status of NewEgg, I posted a link a bit ago to their listing of the same hardware for a cheaper price.
@bklmgk I know - stinks but newegg is out of stock.
  • 63(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7