• 74(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
A bit off topic but is nuc related...

Does anyone know if you can mix the SYSTEM and KERNEL files from different versions of Openelec?

On my i3 haswell nuc I'm currently running the 3.2.x build that lmyllari posted, but am having the issue of the nuc rebooting instead of powering off.

From other posts in here I see people reporting that with the newer kernel in the OE nightlies the rebooting issue is fixed.

I'd like to stick to the 3.2.x builds for now (don't think the skin I use is Gotham ready yet), but would obviously like to be able to shutdown the nuc without it rebooting.

So I've been wondering if it would be possible to use the SYSTEM file from the 3.2.x build and the KERNEL file from the nightlies?
(2013-12-05, 00:04)Peppin Wrote: What are the optimal video / playback settings for i3 Haswell NUC?

I currently use the following, but I experience some skipped frames (not dropped) during playback of high bitrate videos

System - Settings - Video output
Code:
Resolution: 1920x1080p
Refresh rate: 50.0
Stereoscopic mode: None
Vertical black sync: Let driver choose

System - Video - Playback
Code:
Render method: Auto detect
Enable HQ: 0%
Allow HWA (VDPAU): Disabled
Prefer VPDAE: Disabled
Allow HWA VAAPI: Enabled
Frame Multi Treaded Decoding: Disabled
Adjust display refresh: On start/stop
Pause during refries: Off
Sync playback to display: On
A/V sync method: Video clock (Drop/Dupe audio)

Video settings (during playback)
Code:
Deinterlace video: Auto
Deinterface method: VAAPI Auto
Video scaling method: Auto
Stereoscopic mode of video: Auto
Rest: default

Any suggestions on settings that are not optimal? Thanks.

-edit: I run OE generic r16441
@lmyllar, are you maybe willing to share your settings? Smile I have a tv with 24p modus.
What is an acceptable amount of skipped frames? Is it normal that the video quality (in %) very fast jumps between ~88% and ~99%?
Hi There,

is it possible to start the NUC via IR?
Regards,
Dennis
I just found this thread with Openelec Gotham Nightlies (last from yesterday). Will try it asap.

What I didn't know yet, starting wiht Openelec 4.0 there won't be anymore Intel builds. We'll have to stick with the generic images.

http://openelec.tv/forum/20-development-...tly-builds
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
Please read the thread before asking questions that have repeatedly been answered in the thread.
(2013-12-05, 20:23)lmyllari Wrote:
(2013-12-05, 19:39)Clack Wrote: Has anyone been able to play 24bit 5.1 channel FLACs? I'm getting crackely output.
Which version are you using? Current OE nightlies should have kernel and xbmc patches to fix it.

I can confirm HDMCH7041888514725_01_01.flac from http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html working.

Code:
Audio
Format                                   : FLAC
Format/Info                              : Free Lossless Audio Codec
Duration                                 : 3mn 9s
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 5 695 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Back: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 96.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Stream size                              : 129 MiB (100%)
Writing library                          : libFLAC 1.2.1 (UTC 2007-09-17)

I'll try again with the latest. As of last week I had issues.
Bought the new i3 NUC and transplanted all the gear from my celeron NUC and seems to be working fairly well, running the latest nightly builds.

I do have an issue already mentioned here. I have XBMC set to suspend, when pressing the power button, the working dialogue comes up and then it just hangs, I have to hold down the power button to restart the NUC. I've got the 21 bios, everything set to default, but it continues to do it. Suspending from the menu in XBMC also does the same thing, this had never happened previously on my celeron NUC. I also have an issue where the power button won't turn the NUC back on, but the remote control button will, but not sure if this stems back to the issue of XBMC suspending.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Is it a problem with Gotham or with the NUC itself?

(2013-12-05, 21:49)Heinzpsx Wrote: Hi There,

is it possible to start the NUC via IR?

From the built in IR, yes, absolutely. From both complete shutdown (S5) and suspend/sleep (S3), although I'm having issues with suspend (as above) at the moment.

(2013-12-05, 22:34)Selene Wrote: Please read the thread before asking questions that have repeatedly been answered in the thread.

To be fair, sometimes it's hard to find an answer.
(2013-12-05, 21:49)Heinzpsx Wrote: is it possible to start the NUC via IR?
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23089/en...Spec03.pdf
(2013-12-05, 13:13)Diapason Wrote:
(2013-12-05, 00:04)Peppin Wrote: Adjust display refresh: On start/stop
Pause during refries: Off
Sync playback to display: On
A/V sync method: Video clock (Drop/Dupe audio)

Assuming your display can handle all the usual refresh rates, I don't think there's any reason to leave "Sync playback to display" on. In fairness it probably doesn't make much difference, but I sleep easier in my bed knowing it's off. On my current (ancient) laptop driven system it caused occasional problems so I'm a bit biased against it, but one of the major benefits of the Haswell NUC is that it can do 23.976 correctly, so there's no real need for syncing here.

I'll let others comment on the rest of your settings. I'm not familiar with some of the options since I don't have them on my system.

In my current older i3 setup (with a GT430) when I use sync to display it causes occasional HD audio dropouts, so I likewise disable it.
Just got my second NUC, an i5, and am swapping the larger SSD from my i3 (128gig) into the i5. 30Gig going into the i3. Had them both open side by side and man if I didn't label these things I wouldn't be able to tell them apart! I swear the two look exactly the same from the outside to include labeling.

Total time to setup the i3 on the smaller SSD was about 5mins. All I have left to do is srtup the autostart and copy my SQL config file over along with sources from a backup - wow! I'll be loading a full desktop of Mint on the i5 following the posts from Quintixbox since he bothered to read the instructions I breezed over <ahem>. Should be fun and if folks are interested I can probably do back to back power testing if desired.

Quick question - anyone tried the new 22 BIOS? Does it fix anything?
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
I'm having a strange problem with the wired ethernet in my NUC i5. It basically dies every few minutes. I definitely can't do any effective file copying over the wired interface. I looked in dmesg log, and it says the ethernet experienced a hardware unit hang. This exact phrase is all over the 'net, and is apparently root-caused and fixed in 2.5.4 (this from sourceforge.net). modinfo tells me I'm using e1000e version 2.5.4-NAPI. So i'm not sure what' going on. No one else is complaining of this issue, so I assume I'm one of the few, or the only one, with this problem.

help, please?
(2013-12-06, 05:43)BLKMGK Wrote: Quick question - anyone tried the new 22 BIOS? Does it fix anything?

I had massive problems with booting from usb. This seems to be fixed.
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
(2013-12-06, 05:43)voip-ninja Wrote: In my current older i3 setup (with a GT430) when I use sync to display it causes occasional HD audio dropouts, so I likewise disable it.

It's a dirty hack that uses resampling or drop/dupe audio to match the fps to an incorrect refresh rate. You don't need it with Haswell, disable and enjoy.
(2013-12-06, 05:43)BLKMGK Wrote: I'll be loading a full desktop of Mint on the i5 following the posts from Quintixbox since he bothered to read the instructions I breezed over <ahem>. Should be fun and if folks are interested I can probably do back to back power testing if desired.

I'm leaning towards a full Linux distro rather than Openelec, but I'm concerned about image quality issues. I'd love to hear your views about that when you get things running. I'll be starting from zero knowledge anyway when the time comes.
Hi,

I've been testing Linux Mint 16 with xbmc on mu NUC i5 for the last couple of days, here's my findings till now:

Current setup:
- NUC i5, 8GB RAM, Intel SSD
- Linux Mint 16 64bit & Openelec Nighlies (dualboot)
- xbmc 13 alpha 10 from the unstable xbmc repository on Linux Mint
- Installed as described in my previous post: #1054

What works:
- Navigation, library updates, most add-ons are fast and responsive
- Audio playback of regular" lossless audio, DTS HD (passthrough), Dolby HD (passthrough)
- All video files I tried, with both Vaapi acceleration and software playback
- IR remote working perfectly
- Switching ON and OFF with the IR remote
- LCD display through lcdproc

What does NOT work:
- 5.1 flac files are garbled (needs further investigation)

Notes on video quality:
- Seing as Linux Mint currently uses "old" Intel drivers and does not have an optimized Kernel and other fixes like lmyllari's great OpenELEC builds or the latest Openelec Nightlies (also thanks to lmyllari and the rest op OpenELEC's great team) the colorspace is a bit off, for now. Twiddling with xrandr I got the blacks the way I like them and good contrast with vibrant colors on my Plasma TV.

Let me know if you need further clarification or help with setting up your NUC.

Regards,
Q

(2013-12-06, 13:26)Diapason Wrote:
(2013-12-06, 05:43)BLKMGK Wrote: I'll be loading a full desktop of Mint on the i5 following the posts from Quintixbox since he bothered to read the instructions I breezed over <ahem>. Should be fun and if folks are interested I can probably do back to back power testing if desired.

I'm leaning towards a full Linux distro rather than Openelec, but I'm concerned about image quality issues. I'd love to hear your views about that when you get things running. I'll be starting from zero knowledge anyway when the time comes.
  • 74(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7