• 78(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2013-12-09, 02:48)Richie Wrote:
(2013-12-08, 03:15)Clack Wrote: Power button on the brand spanking new replacement nuc just stopped working. This thing is really starting to piss me off. Hit the button, it hung on load, held the button and it started blinking, wouldn't stop. Unplugged from power, replugged. Button is fried. Now I can only wake on lan again. ARRRRRGHGHGHHGHGHHGHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think it's the power button, hardware at least. My scenarios are:

1. Running 3.2.X with colour fixes, using suspend, the NUC just starts itself up again, ie. it won't stay sleeping
2. Running 3.2.X with colour fixes, using shutdown, the NUC shuts down perfectly.
3. Running Gotham nightlies, using Suspend, the NUC gets a 'working' dialogue box and then crashes
4. Running Gotham nightlies, using shutdown, the NUC shuts down perfectly

So my first issue is Suspend. I believe someone from here posted on the NUC forums about the issue, yet to get an answer. Seems to relate to the USB3 host waking up the system, which may also relate to the Suspend crash from Gotham nightlies, I have heard USB3 is still a bit finicky in Linux.

The second issue is, with scenario (3) above, I have to do a hard reset with the power button. The system powers down, but then the button does not work. Even unplugging the power cable doesn't resolve the issue. But!, using the power button on the remote works perfectly. The only other way to get the hardware power button working again is to open the NUC up and take out the ram, S3 suspend keeps it's footprint in ram.

This now leads me to believe that there is an issue with the low level code back to the bios, somehow, OE issues a halt S3 command to the bios, the bios can't process the command, but OE has already halted. The bios then sits there waiting for an un-suspend command (sorry for the lack of technical terms), ignoring any input from the hardware power button (we get similar issues on some HP PC's at my work when they crash), but interpreting the power button on the remote as a wake-from-suspend command (a simple soft power on command). The problem is, hard powering down the NUC kills the XBMC process, so you're back to rebooting from scratch when this happens.

So my conclusion is, this is a bios level issue that Intel need to fix. Intel are normally pretty quick with these, so hopefully we get a fix in a week or so. It's annoying having to use shutdown rather than suspend, as it causes issues with my central SQL database and also takes longer too boot, but it's better than not suspending, at least for me, which leaves my NAS running all the time.

Sorry for the long post, just hoping I can give some insight into what I believe the problem to be.

Great breakdown Richie. So removing the ram reset this for you eh? Do I plug back in after removing the ram or does simply removing it and putting it back in reset?
(2013-12-09, 02:48)Richie Wrote: So my conclusion is, this is a bios level issue that Intel need to fix. Intel are normally pretty quick with these, so hopefully we get a fix in a week or so. It's annoying having to use shutdown rather than suspend, as it causes issues with my central SQL database and also takes longer too boot, but it's better than not suspending, at least for me, which leaves my NAS running all the time.

Definitely seems to be some BIOS issues going on with power and suspend. Shutdown has always worked, but while suspend works for me in OpenELEC 3.2.4 on resume it doesn't mount mount the USB 3.0 drive it boots off. The remote continues to work, but I can't access my library, load any media and even the skin backgrounds don't load. It's fine on reboot.

I recently updated to BIOS v22 and thought I'd try setting Deep S3/S5 in the BIOS power settings to see if that made a difference to suspend/resume in OpenELEC, but no luck. I then booted Windows 7 off the SSD and installed some windows updates. I left the NUC running Windows during the day and it went into a sleep so deep the remote, USB keyboard or power button couldn't wake it up. Even after unplugging and replugging in the power cord I couldn't get the NUC to respond to the power button or remote. But Wake-on-LAN could make it boot! Luckily my router had the MAC address cached.

After resetting BIOS to defaults I can now turn on and off with the remote, but can't get power button back. The button can't be "fried" because if I hold it down for 6 seconds it powers the NUC down.

For the time being I'm going to leave the NUC running rather than shutdown. Even with the fast boot of OpenELEC I got too used to my ASRock coming out of suspend in a couple of seconds.
(2013-12-09, 02:21)dave_beer_uk Wrote: I am also unable to enter the BIOS. If I swap from my TV to PC monitor it works fine

Can anybody please help with setting up the remote control? I am using a harmony and Ubuntu

I added:

Code:
sudo modprobe -r nuvoton-cir && echo "auto" | sudo tee /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources && sudo modprobe nuvoton-cir

into etc/rc.local

which only enables the basic buttons in XBMC

So I installed lirc and selected the mceusb remote which gives me all the correct remote buttons but this results in numerous double key presses.

I've tried using a different lircd.conf file and have added a remote delay in XBMC but none of these have any effect,

Dave

Anyone please?
So it was responding to some button presses prior to installing LIRC? Sounds like maybe you have two programs responding to button presses! Try removing LIRC and see if it's back to only responding once and go from there. If it stops altogether then reinstall LIRC and see how it does. Irw can be used at the commandline to see what LIRC is receiving. You might also try a REAL MCE remote, in the past I've had issues with programmable remotes and have had to program them FROM a real MCE remote to get proper operation...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Here's a question for people having suspend/shutdown issues.

According to SPCR this thing uses 6W at idle. Even in suspend/shutdown the PSU will waste a watt or so. So shutdown/suspend maybe saves a kWh every week or so

I know we all love to save money and planet and all, but why bother with shutdown/suspend if it causes so much grief? It might well cost more energy to transmit complaints on the issue half way across the planet than it does to ignore it.
My i3 uses 20watts full up and playing stuff from what I've seen. My TiVo uses over 45watts! Fire up the tv and I see a draw close to 200 with them all together and then it settles down to around 145, the stereo draws some too. I leave my NUC running, it uses less power than the ion it replaced! I shudder to think about what my desktop may be drawing by comparison but I did try to choose parts wisely. The NUC isn't a big deal in my household and I'm not going to sweat the sleep issues others have suffered. I maintain it via ssh and the SMB shares so I like to have it running. I admit its ability to wake from sleep is really nice and if I ever stop fiddling with them perhaps I'll look into it more. If it helps I'll try sleeping my i5 with a full desktop from XBMC to see if it acts differently than Openelec when I have a chance...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
(2013-12-08, 03:15)Clack Wrote: Great breakdown Richie. So removing the ram reset this for you eh? Do I plug back in after removing the ram or does simply removing it and putting it back in reset?

Yes, for me found removing the ram (with the power unplugged) then putting the ram back in allowed it to power on from the button. I have a remote working via CIR, so I don't even have to do that now, I just use the remote power button.

(2013-12-10, 02:00)twelvebore Wrote: Here's a question for people having suspend/shutdown issues.

According to SPCR this thing uses 6W at idle. Even in suspend/shutdown the PSU will waste a watt or so. So shutdown/suspend maybe saves a kWh every week or so

I know we all love to save money and planet and all, but why bother with shutdown/suspend if it causes so much grief? It might well cost more energy to transmit complaints on the issue half way across the planet than it does to ignore it.

The issue isn't the NUC power draw, I'd be quite happy to leave it on all the time, but I also run a central SQL database on my NAS, and leaving the NUC on causes several issues, one of which is it causes my NAS to stay on. I run a Synology 12 bay NAS, so the power draw is around 130W, whereas in sleep it's about 30W. Not a huge difference, but power is pretty expensive here, so try to reduce it as much as I can, leaving the NUC on is then adding 106W usage that I can minimise.
Those with working remotes, are you powering off and on with the same button? I'm able to power off but not on.

Code:
OpenELEC (official) Version: devel-20131204125443-r16483
OpenELEC git: 5afca2377dc55a8c80ecc14ab4b6e3a81db8eff3
OpenELEC:~ # irw
74 0 KEY_POWER devinput
74 0 KEY_POWER_UP devinput

Shuts it down. Same button doesn't turn it on.
Anyone else having issues with the "Autom. Refresh Rate" ?
If i enable it, i dont have Sound anymore...and even if i turn it off again i need to reboot to
get Sound working again...but this also happens on FRODO to me ?!
(2013-12-10, 01:14)LastMile Wrote:
(2013-12-09, 02:48)Richie Wrote: So my conclusion is, this is a bios level issue that Intel need to fix. Intel are normally pretty quick with these, so hopefully we get a fix in a week or so. It's annoying having to use shutdown rather than suspend, as it causes issues with my central SQL database and also takes longer too boot, but it's better than not suspending, at least for me, which leaves my NAS running all the time.

Definitely seems to be some BIOS issues going on with power and suspend. Shutdown has always worked, but while suspend works for me in OpenELEC 3.2.4 on resume it doesn't mount mount the USB 3.0 drive it boots off. The remote continues to work, but I can't access my library, load any media and even the skin backgrounds don't load. It's fine on reboot.

I recently updated to BIOS v22 and thought I'd try setting Deep S3/S5 in the BIOS power settings to see if that made a difference to suspend/resume in OpenELEC, but no luck. I then booted Windows 7 off the SSD and installed some windows updates. I left the NUC running Windows during the day and it went into a sleep so deep the remote, USB keyboard or power button couldn't wake it up. Even after unplugging and replugging in the power cord I couldn't get the NUC to respond to the power button or remote. But Wake-on-LAN could make it boot! Luckily my router had the MAC address cached.

After resetting BIOS to defaults I can now turn on and off with the remote, but can't get power button back. The button can't be "fried" because if I hold it down for 6 seconds it powers the NUC down.

For the time being I'm going to leave the NUC running rather than shutdown. Even with the fast boot of OpenELEC I got too used to my ASRock coming out of suspend in a couple of seconds.

If you enable deep S3/S5, then NUC will respond only to RTC alarms, which means that it will not respond to USB attached devices like keyboard to power on. Only LAN, for IR i am not sure... and the power button should also work.
Indeed, when I turn off S4/S5 state I can start my Nuc via my remote. What's the difference regarding energy consumption?
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
Almost none.
Total power off consumes 0,6W, and stardard sleep/suspend/standby consumes 1,2W.

I wouldnt bother with power off and deep sleep. Wink
Other energy consuption that I have measured (rounded numbers)

Win 8.1 Desktop: 6W no activity, up to 17W with activity
Convolution: about 6W-7W with short spikes up to 33W on Win 8.1 and OpenElec spikes up to 22W.
Aeon Nox: about 6W-7W with short spikes up to 33W on Win 8.1 and OpenElec.
Playback: about 8W to 9W on Win 8.1 and around 8W on OpenElec.
StandBy: 1,2W
Power Off: 0,6W

So really just minor differences between OE an Win 8.1 in a energy consumption terms.
And total power off does not make a sense. I have choosen not to, do a suspend instead.
(2013-12-10, 09:49)Crssi Wrote: If you enable deep S3/S5, then NUC will respond only to RTC alarms, which means that it will not respond to USB attached devices like keyboard to power on. Only LAN, for IR i am not sure... and the power button should also work.
...and that's why you shouldn't change settings if you don't know what they do! Big Grin
New Openelec nightly:

http://xbmcnightlybuilds.com/openelec-ge...-download/
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
  • 78(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7