• 83(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
day 3 of my intel nuc i5 haswell, 256GB mSATA and 8GB RAM running on Windows 8.1 64-bit
Each morning, I have a dialog box saying that XBMC has used up too much RAM and I must close the app
I'm on 12.2 - anyone else had this happen?
(2013-12-13, 06:29)Bryman31 Wrote: thank you sir!!

now my next issue............

"unable to create GUI"

thats the message i see when opening XBMC............

is this a video driver issue? i just opened my NUC tonight.....i would have thought it would have come with the latest drivers.............

This is not a driver problem. Do you use XBMCLauncher?
I had the same issue and it is the launcher. I still use it, but will have to look at home what I have set in lancher for me to work.
(2013-12-13, 12:18)macrho Wrote: day 3 of my intel nuc i5 haswell, 256GB mSATA and 8GB RAM running on Windows 8.1 64-bit
Each morning, I have a dialog box saying that XBMC has used up too much RAM and I must close the app

Never ever happend to me... Perhaps check your ram with MEMTEST?
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
(2013-12-13, 12:18)macrho Wrote: day 3 of my intel nuc i5 haswell, 256GB mSATA and 8GB RAM running on Windows 8.1 64-bit

Try with 16 gigs. Wink
No... I am just joking.
Dont think that you are in the right thread (even the fact you have NUC)... try something like this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=157233

ADD: I am on Win 8.1 x64 with 4Gb runing Frodo 12.2 and no problem, yesterday restarted because of updates, but before about a week up-time. But I had set to close XBMC when going to sleep and start when wake-up. This setting I have changed, will see in a few days.
Sounds like wait until 12.3. I don't have watchdog enabled on my machine
I ordered the 16 GBs, hopefully have it tomorrow
No, just kidding Smile
Thanks for the pointer and watch out for Jason today
Hello,

So I'm new here. The last time I used XBMC was on an original xbox. I've had a first gen WD TV media player hooked up to massive external drives ever since. Now it's time to move on. I want the visuals that XBMC can offer like album artwork, meta data, etc.

Anyway, I'm not a noob but I've been solely in the mac world for the past 6 years. So my PC knowledge (like what graphics hardware is best) is not what it used to be.

My question here is simple, aside from the extra small form factor and mostly silent operation, why is everyone choosing to go this route instead of just building your own box?

As far as I can see it has just about everything you need except a decent GPU. Don't get me wrong I know Intel 4400/5000 is good enough for the gui and playing high quality HD video. But that's about it, no? Say I wanted to install Win 8 + Dolphin emulator, this would not be sufficient correct?

I totaled up a small build yesterday on Newegg and in the end it's not too much more than what this + ram + msata + wifi... Yet I'd have a much better video card.

Smile
(2013-12-13, 12:24)Crssi Wrote:
(2013-12-13, 06:29)Bryman31 Wrote: thank you sir!!

now my next issue............

"unable to create GUI"

thats the message i see when opening XBMC............

is this a video driver issue? i just opened my NUC tonight.....i would have thought it would have come with the latest drivers.............

This is not a driver problem. Do you use XBMCLauncher?
I had the same issue and it is the launcher. I still use it, but will have to look at home what I have set in lancher for me to work.

well i updated my drivers.........after a few restarts it went away and starts normally. its insane you would think a 1 day old NUC would ship from intel with the latest drivers on it!! anyway. for now all is good....................

except for now its not letting me install AEON NOX. i tried 4 times......its gets to around 97% then it says unable to download.............weird.

any ideas why this is happening? ive got aeon nox on my laptop just fine........but not the NUC.
XBMC repo server problems... see: http://xbmc.org/server-issues/

Hmmm... will try with new drivers.
(2013-12-13, 15:48)Maharajamd Wrote: My question here is simple, aside from the extra small form factor and mostly silent operation, why is everyone choosing to go this route instead of just building your own box?

As far as I can see it has just about everything you need except a decent GPU. Don't get me wrong I know Intel 4400/5000 is good enough for the gui and playing high quality HD video. But that's about it, no? Say I wanted to install Win 8 + Dolphin emulator, this would not be sufficient correct?

I totaled up a small build yesterday on Newegg and in the end it's not too much more than what this + ram + msata + wifi... Yet I'd have a much better video card.

Smile

I'd like to turn it around and ask "why not the NUC?". Yes, you can build something small and silent yourself but is it worth the effort? I don't know about you, but I do have other things to do with my time. Enough time is wasted playing around with Linux and XBMC on my HTPC in general, I can't be bothered building all my HTPC's as well.

The NUC is a perfect fit for me, has all my requirements.

- Small and nice form factor, fits right in together with my hifi stuff
- Silent operation
- Intel based (HD audio and perfect 24p)
- Cheap (I also count the time I save building my own)

I don't know about Dolphin, but I play all Retroarch cores (including PSX/N64) and Dosbox without a hitch on mine with high quality shaders enabled. I think you are underestimating the i5 Haswell and HD5000, these things can play Counter-Strike:Source decent at high resolutions. Same spec as in 2013 MBA, check out some benchmarks of that laptop to see what it can do.
I was more or less going after the monetary side of things. I understand the time factor.

$500 for this or $600 for a custom nvidia loaded box.

But thanks for the reply though! I'll probably jump on the bandwagon soon. Smile
Does anyone know the code these NUCs expect for power on with RC-6? I think I can pick and select an appropriate "TV" code to power this thing up.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/access...ediaRemote

Or is lirc the way to go here? Remote works for everything except startup. Lirc only runs after the computer is booted right? Which would mean I really need the the correct expected code directly from the remote to start up from shutdown? Kind of on track?
(2013-12-13, 17:27)Maharajamd Wrote: I was more or less going after the monetary side of things. I understand the time factor.

$500 for this or $600 for a custom nvidia loaded box.

But thanks for the reply though! I'll probably jump on the bandwagon soon. Smile
Another thing going for NUC (besides the small size, low noise, reasonable price, Haswell gfx) is the power usage. If you build your own box, you need to find a PSU that is efficient at very low loads to match the NUC. Adding an nvidia to the mix will not make it easier to keep the power usage down.
(2013-12-13, 18:34)lmyllari Wrote: Another thing going for NUC (besides the small size, low noise, reasonable price, Haswell gfx) is the power usage. If you build your own box, you need to find a PSU that is efficient at very low loads to match the NUC. Adding an nvidia to the mix will not make it easier to keep the power usage down.
6W in OpenElec with XBMC set to sleep the display. I just leave it on all the time.
Intel i3 Haswell NUC D34010WYK / Yamaha RX-V673 receiver / Panasonic VT-50 plasma TV
How is the video color accuracy coming out of these things? Thinking specifically of on openelec

The reason I ask is that my current set up is an ancient Shuttle Pentium 4 + basic NVIDIA which supports VDPAU. Prior to the VDPAU Studio Color Correction option, I had to seriously muck with my TV settings to get the black levels to look right. Once I enabled VDPAU Studio Color Correction, the same settings that worked for my Blu Ray player and FIOS box worked for the XBMC box.

I'd obviously like to keep it that way. Can these pump out accurate black and color levels similar to the nvidia based systems which support VDPAU Studio Color Correction?

Thanks!
Today I got the Nuc i5. As I had the i3 for nearly 2 weeks I can see some differences.

The one thing that annoys me is that the remote control doesn't work as it should. Also I push only one time the "right" button (or any other), the menus scrolls several times/ the command is executed several times. Is this an i5 problem? I already flashed the newest bios, didn't help.

Edit: Ok, it seems to be a Harmony SW problem.
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
  • 83(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7