• 92(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Just got the Intel haswell nuc dw340 one..

I have the ram, 30gb ssd but no wireless card, its right beside the router so wiill be cabled in.

My question is, what OS should i put on it, I'm upgrading from ATV2 and want to really experience everything that i couldnt on atv2/ so thinking windows.. but wondering should i get win7 or win8 - http://www.pcfritz.de/software/betriebss...ofessional - i can get win 7 for about 39euro and win 8 is 90 euro.. unless people have better deals

finally i was wondering what the best keyboard and/or remote to get./.

cheers
(2013-12-22, 19:50)noxy Wrote: Just got the Intel haswell nuc dw340 one..

I have the ram, 30gb ssd but no wireless card, its right beside the router so wiill be cabled in.

My question is, what OS should i put on it, I'm upgrading from ATV2 and want to really experience everything that i couldnt on atv2/ so thinking windows.. but wondering should i get win7 or win8 - http://www.pcfritz.de/software/betriebss...ofessional - i can get win 7 for about 39euro and win 8 is 90 euro.. unless people have better deals

finally i was wondering what the best keyboard and/or remote to get./.

cheers

i went windows 7 just cause of the price, and cause its what im already used to. i also went with the Logitec K400 keyboard.....been happy with it so far.
The latest OpenELEC works fine
The latest Nightly 4.0 or the latest Stable 3.2.4?
(2013-12-22, 20:33)Bryman31 Wrote: i went windows 7 just cause of the price,
What, you wanted to pay for what openelec gives you for free?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-12-22, 23:11)nickr Wrote:
(2013-12-22, 20:33)Bryman31 Wrote: i went windows 7 just cause of the price,
What, you wanted to pay for what openelec gives you for free?

well in all honesty...........ive never even heard of openelec until about a month ago when i first got into HTPC world. so i went with what i know.

the good thing is, when im up to speed i can put that windows 7 on my main rig, and openelec on the NUC if i choose....
(2013-12-22, 21:34)-DDD- Wrote: The latest Nightly 4.0 or the latest Stable 3.2.4?
I don't think 3.2.4 includes the fixes for grey blacks in limited range output (which is the default for TV) or bt.709 coefficients in VAAPI (correct colors for HD material).
(2013-12-22, 15:01)zjieb Wrote: I own a D54250WYK since one month. When playing movies (1080p mkv's) I notice slight stuttering. Other people don't notice it, but I do. When I compare the smoothness of video playing with the Boxee I used before, then my upgrade was not really an upgrade.
Don't worry, you're not the only one who is allergic to frame drops and skips. With correct settings, you can get very good output from your NUC.

Quote:My setup: I hooked up the NUC with HDMI to a Yamaha YSP-3300 soundbar (7.1 and capable of all passthrough options). The soundbar is connected to my TV (Philips 46PFL8008). My movies/tv shows reside at a Synology DS213+. Wired connection. (connection is not the issue: the Boxee works fine) All new gadgets.

I use the Openelec nightly builds (Generic.x86_64-devel-20131212104328-r16530 at the moment) with Aeon MQ5. I performed all kinds of different settings to get rid of the problem:

- enable / disable VAAPI
- enable / disable audio passthrough
- "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" enabled / disabled
- sync video to audio -> tried all different settings
- different refresh rates (currently @ 60fps)
- accessing NAS via smb and NFS (currently NFS)

Everything I bought should be up to the task, but I can't seem to get rid of the mini-stuttering. Anyone got suggestions which settings are optimal in my situation? Or maybe suggestions how to tackle the problem? What can I do to determine the source of my problem?
Put a movie on local NUC storage to eliminate the network. Use xbmc-xrandr to check that all the video modes are detected correctly.

In video playback settings, set render method to auto, enable VAAPI, adjust refresh rate on start/stop, sync playback to display, set a/v sync method to video clock (drop/dupe audio).

If you still see stutter, look into the logs.

(2013-12-22, 14:03)gamble Wrote: Ok, i just logged the HD-Audio Problem and uploaded it here :

FYI what i did :

Started Debugging
Restarted XBMC
Went to Systems / Settings / Video and enabled "Adjust display refresh rate to match video"
Then started "Star Trek: Into Darkness" -> NO SOUND
Started another Movie "The Avengers" heavy stuttering and freezing, no Sound again.
Uploaded the Log

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=100564

To get the HD-Sound working again i need to disable "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" and restart.

So i made the log hope someone can get a clue of the problem or tell it the right guys as i have no clue where to post this else...? Maye i should send it Fritsch, at least he is talking my language Big Grin

@ lmyllari

Sent u a pm, maybe u can get into this once again Smile

Thanks for the log. You should also capture a kernel log, since this is a driver issue - xbmc just sees that it becomes impossible to write audio to the output. I posted some instructions earlier in this thread - see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1571160

edit: please note that you need a special build with audio debugging if you do this
Rainbow 
Hi guys, does anyone know news of a possible NUC Haswell with vPro coming soon? I'd like to get the advantages of the latest processor, but I also need the vPro so I can do maintenance of a remote XBMC installation for my parents, who live too far to visit in case of something going wrong with the computer, OS or XBMC.

Thank you! L.
Dumb question, but If you install xbmc openelec that's all you get right.. Xbmc? With win7 there's more you can do with the pc, or am I wrong
(2013-12-23, 03:47)ThaDraGun Wrote: Dumb question, but If you install xbmc openelec that's all you get right.. Xbmc? With win7 there's more you can do with the pc, or am I wrong
It's a media PC - it sits under or behind your TV and is controlled by a remote. Seriously, what is it you are wanting to do? Write out the Complete Works of Shakespeare?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Do what u want with it. I would try win7 or win8 first. If it doesn't run well enough then I'd go with openelec. For $300+ I want something more then xbmc. For example run sick beard and couch potatoe if I want. Being able to check the Web quick if needed. Etc If it was $100 box then sure who cares about having something extra, but with everything all bought I'm sure it will come close to $400 or $500. My xios runs xbmc Ok, but I want something faster. If only able to do xbmc I don't think the price is worth a bit more speed.
You have an Opera Webbrowser Addon in OpenElec to check the Web.
I would try openelec first, and then, when its not enough, i would try win7.
(2013-12-23, 01:09)lmyllari Wrote: Thanks for the log. You should also capture a kernel log, since this is a driver issue - xbmc just sees that it becomes impossible to write audio to the output. I posted some instructions earlier in this thread - see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1571160

edit: please note that you need a special build with audio debugging if you do this

Hmm, is there an Wiki Entry on this with a Step by Step guide to do a Kernel Log? Need to look into this further, ur
instruction is still too spacy 4 me...dunno what to do Big Grin

But i am in Contact with Fritsch now and sent him the logs aswell, he also said it looks like a kernel Problem and he
and his guys will look further in it..he also gave me a guthub link where i could paste, compile and test something but
i am way to dumb to get this done so for now we gotta wait...but something RIGHT is happening Big Grin
  • 92(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7