• 96(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2013-12-27, 11:49)gamble Wrote: What ur TV has are just "Fake" 5.1 Decoders aka. Virtual Dolby Surround, DTS Premium Audio etc.
They just turn 2 Channel Sound into 2 Channel "Surround" Sound....that´s more or less just to fool people with fancy DD/DTS Logo´s on the TV´s as
u dont get real surround sound.

Real DTS/DD -HD Encoders have an 5.1 (or more) Input AND Output for true Surround Sound with at least 5 seperate Channels.

You need to set XBMC to downsample the 5.1 Signal to Stereo, with this ur TV can let the Magic happen and turn it into "Virtual Surr. Soudn" Big Grin

Thanks gamble. Got it now Smile
What are the current options for fanless cases for the D54250WYK?
I have peeked around a bit using google, but no buyable products seem to excist even though impactics allegedly designed something for this board.
(2013-12-27, 11:31)arokh Wrote:
(2013-12-26, 12:07)gamble Wrote: Need to post it again, and Zag u need to stick that on the first post..

Frtisch did it, we can now ENABLE "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" and it works FLAWLESS from what i can see, tested all
kinds of HD-Codecs that made probs. before but everything works like it should.

Refresh Rate is spot on so no more micro stutter every now and then, HD-Sound works and no more freezes or anything like that Big Grin

Here is the Link 2 that Nightly

PUSH ME SOFT

1000x thx 2 Fritsch again Big Grin

Is this confirmed? Link to original post? Was it fixed in kernel or XBMC? Can't test right now due to christmas Smile

Sry, didnt see ur posrt till now..

I got the link directly from Fritsch...dunno what u mean with "confirmed" and can't tell what exactly got fixed...maybe Fritsch can answer this..
But its still a bit buggy..somethimes XBMC falls into the old behavior and hd-Sound is gone + stutter...cant tell exactly how this is triggered :/

edit.

VA-API stopped compl. to work, if i enable it and start a movie it freezes and i need to restart the nuc.

What works best for me (and the last hour without problem) is :

Disable VPDAU
Disable VA-API
Enable Multithreading
Enable Autom. Adj. of. RR

Set GUI to 60fps
Moving from Win 8.1 XBMC build to Openelec this coming weekend. I keep up with this thread but boy is it hard to understand.

What build is best? Gotham nightly or last stable (senior moment, can't remember previous version)?

I'll look back to the beginning to add the two scripts mentioned in frarev's post.

Kind of sad this isn't all to a more stable point. Scared to leave my Win 8.1 rock solid build, but want the small form factor i5 nuc and the 'more appliance' aspect.
Hi all,

So, I've had my i5 Haswell NUC (D54250WYK), 60GB SSD, 8 gigs ram for a week. It's a lovely thing, apart from a few problems:

I cant F2 into BIOS at all with my (wired) HP USB keyboard :-( Tried the rear and front USB ports. Tried with NUC connected to my Denon 2113 AVR and also to my Panasonic Plasma (5 years old - TH-37PX70) same result - pressing F2 causes the NUC to hang completely, with only remedy being to power off and on again.
I CAN however, press F10 at POST to change the boot device and F7 to update BIOS (which I've done to the latest 022 version). Any ideas as it's proving to be rather frustrating now?!

Also, I've installed Windows 7 and XBMC(!). Boots up very fast and loaded my mysql library fine. All ok except that a lot of my (99% 720p h264 mkv) movies have a green band across the top of screen in the black bar area :-(
Tried with hardware acceleration on/off and also changing display refresh rate to match video etc to no avail).

I then tried the latest stable intel build of Openelec (running off a 16GB USB stick, just for testing purposes) with similar results and also the grey blacks problem :-(

Would I be better off trying Windows 8.1 instead or waiting for Gotham?
It's really annoying, as I've bought the NUC as an upgrade to my Apple TV2 which, although quite slow in the menus (the main reason for getting the NUC!!!) it mainly just, works!

Any ideas welcome and if I find something that DOES work, I'll inform this thread accordingly :-)
(2013-12-27, 16:33)twinflower Wrote: What are the current options for fanless cases for the D54250WYK?
I have peeked around a bit using google, but no buyable products seem to excist even though impactics allegedly designed something for this board.

I got my Impactics Case on Monday and installed my NUC in it today, top quality craftsmanship not a single issue.
Idle Temps. are around 40°C and while watching a Movie about 49°C

I got it directly from Impactics but it was sent with all the packages to the vendors swell so it should be available pretty soon,
Price is 105Euro w. Front Switch, 102 for Back Switch, +5Euro optional for SSD Heatsink.
(2013-12-27, 11:32)gamble Wrote:
(2013-12-27, 00:46)- G33K - Wrote: Issue: Blacks showing as grays
Fix: Add following to autostart.sh:
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full"
This leads to an too dark picture, try a dark movie like Zero Dark Thirty and u will see...way too much detail lost due to Black
It may not work on your display (either it doesn't support full range RGB, or it ignores the quantization field in AVI infoframes). It is a good easy fix for those whose displays support this.

This is not needed if you have a recent kernel with https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71769 fix. It is in recent OE nightlies.
@lmyllari

Did u try the new Build i posted..the one from Fritsch?
Can you verify that VA-Api is not working and freezing the screen?
(2013-12-27, 20:26)gamble Wrote: @lmyllari

Did u try the new Build i posted..the one from Fritsch?
Can you verify that VA-Api is not working and freezing the screen?
I haven't had time yet, sorry.
I have tried devel-20131225234657-r16713-ge734d59 with Ivy Bridge GPU, looks very good for me.
Thanks Fritsch!
| myHTPC |
(2013-12-27, 16:33)twinflower Wrote: What are the current options for fanless cases for the D54250WYK?
I personally know of these:
Tranquil - http://www.tranquilpcshop.co.uk/nuc-next...s-haswell/
Akasa Newton H
Impactics (as you said it does not seem to be available yet)
(2013-12-27, 19:43)gamble Wrote:

I got my Impactics Case on Monday and installed my NUC in it today, top quality craftsmanship not a single issue.
Idle Temps. are around 40°C and while watching a Movie about 49°C

I got it directly from Impactics but it was sent with all the packages to the vendors swell so it should be available pretty soon,
Price is 105Euro w. Front Switch, 102 for Back Switch, +5Euro optional for SSD Heatsink.

Thanks for the info. Exactly which case did you shoot for? I did not find a model suited for D54250WYK in their product list.

Have you tried loading the cpu/hdd heavily and measured the temperature?
Hi all,

I got one of these (i5) about a week ago and have installed XBMC myself on top of Ubuntu server, using bits of info I've found on these forums.

I have one showstopping problem though, I believe it can be fixed and Intel are working on it. Everything works perfectly until I change channel on the TV (older Samsung LCD, 1366x768). When I change back to the NUC channel, I get 'no signal' on the TV and the only way to get it back is to reboot - restarting XBMC doesn't help. At first I tried Mint and OpenELEC and got the same, so eventually tried just going into the BIOS and testing it.... same problem. I don't get this problem on another TV (another Samsung) though.

I don't think there's anything I can do to get around this, especially as it happens in the BIOS.

Is there a decent up to date guide to installing XBMC on a barebones ubuntu or centos server install? I don't want to go OpenELEC because I want to use the box for other server related things. My current install works, but I'm not certain if everything is set up as well as it should be (things like vaapi were just installed by following instructions in other forum posts).

I'm happy to go for a desktop linux install if that would help and I've heard Mint is best for the NUC. I'm really just looking for a relatively up to date 'best practice' way of getting XBMC installed on the NUC.
Why you change the Channel on your TV? You have to change the channel in XBMC with vdr Wink

I think the best way of getting XBMC on a PC is to use OpenElec 4.0.
| myHTPC |
(2013-12-27, 23:17)-DDD- Wrote: Why you change the Channel on your TV? You have to change the channel in XBMC with vdr Wink

I think the best way of getting XBMC on a PC is to use OpenElec 4.0.

Haha, I only use XBMC for playing back downloaded content and streaming Smile

OpenELEC is great (use it on my upstairs Pi), but I want to use the NUC for other things, which is pretty much impossible in OE
  • 96(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7