• 97(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
What things do you mean?
Why you have to change channels on your TV?
| myHTPC |
I don't only use the TV for XBMC, most of my viewing is Sky (UK) and I only use XBMC for downloaded content and streaming. My issue is if I switch away from the NUC HDMI channel, then back again, I lose the signal.

The same thing happens if I turn the TV off then back on again, so it's something to do with the HDMI handshake, or the TV sending a 'deactivate' signal down the HDMI cable when that input is no longer active.
Why you don't want to use sky with XBMC, NUC and OpenElec? Cause it's not legal?
I understand your Issue, but normally i buy an HTPC and i try to replace all of the other Stuff
with the HTPC, so the NUC would be the only Device you use and you haven't to switch the
Channels on your TV.
On my Philips TV i can set HDMI to 1 and back to 3, and doesn't lose my Signal,
maybe it is an Issue from your TV? Do you have other Devices connected to the TV?
How do the react on such a Switch of hdmi ports?
| myHTPC |
Hi,

Currently the closest you can get to perfect image/sound quality on the NUC is through the OpenELEC nightly Gotham builds.
Linux Mint 16 works fine, especially since XBMC 12.3 which has a Saucy Salamander (on which Mint is based) repository. In my setup there was no need for nightly ALSA builds, etc. All I needed was the IR fix and some xrandr tweaks. BUT.... the black levels are still way off compared to the OpenELEC nighlies.
You can find a quick howto I put together in this thread.

Are you sure OpenELEC can't do the "server related things" you were refering to? There's a bunch of nifty OpenELEC server plugins....

Good luck in your search, I'm sure the Haswell NUC will turn out to be a perfect HTPC platform once software development catches up, which is going on at a furious pace thanks to the dedicated enthusiasts you will encounter all over this thread.

Regards and happy holidays,
Q

(2013-12-27, 23:08)smonkey Wrote: Hi all,

I got one of these (i5) about a week ago and have installed XBMC myself on top of Ubuntu server, using bits of info I've found on these forums.

I have one showstopping problem though, I believe it can be fixed and Intel are working on it. Everything works perfectly until I change channel on the TV (older Samsung LCD, 1366x768). When I change back to the NUC channel, I get 'no signal' on the TV and the only way to get it back is to reboot - restarting XBMC doesn't help. At first I tried Mint and OpenELEC and got the same, so eventually tried just going into the BIOS and testing it.... same problem. I don't get this problem on another TV (another Samsung) though.

I don't think there's anything I can do to get around this, especially as it happens in the BIOS.

Is there a decent up to date guide to installing XBMC on a barebones ubuntu or centos server install? I don't want to go OpenELEC because I want to use the box for other server related things. My current install works, but I'm not certain if everything is set up as well as it should be (things like vaapi were just installed by following instructions in other forum posts).

I'm happy to go for a desktop linux install if that would help and I've heard Mint is best for the NUC. I'm really just looking for a relatively up to date 'best practice' way of getting XBMC installed on the NUC.
Thanks for the replies!

DDD - replacing everything with XBMC isn't really possible, I like to use it to playback downloaded content, but for watching live TV, it's easier for the family just to use Sky (plus games consoles etc..). The issue only happens on my main TV (other TV is fine), but I've been reading the NUC forums and apparently they will issue a BIOS update which will fix HDMI handshake problems. The problem also happens when I turn the TV off, so there isn't really a workaround.

quintixbox - thanks for the info, I'll probably just end up going for Mint. I won't really use the desktop but seeing as the chip is very powerful, it wont cause any performance issues by having it running in the background. OpenELEC is brilliant, but I'm a sysadmin so really want to be able to do things like use the NUC as a NAS (with external drives), possibly HTTP server, maybe hosting my own emails etc.. with postfix, dns server, maybe even VOIP with asterisk at some point.

How bad are the black levels, and are there any known fixes? I've only used it a few times with Ubuntu server but haven't really noticed any problems with that - I assume that the Mint deb would be the same.

Edit: One more thing, I really need to stick with 12.3 at the moment because a lot of the streaming plugins I use don't work in Gotham due to things like python versions.

I've skimmed through a lot of this thread, but to save me reading through 145 pages, can you point me in the direction of the xrandr tweaks?

Finally, am I right in assuming that in mint I just add the repo and install xbmc, with the dependencies taking care of the rest? No other drivers/tweaks needed?
The issue with losing the signal is almost certainly something to do with the EDID. I used to have this issue booting XBMC with my tv turned off with an older receiver. I now have a receiver that passes EDID thru. There are ways to dump the EDID data to a file and point to it but I never got so far as to implement them. I'm not sure how you can best troubleshoot this but this sounds most likely to me so you may want to research it as well.

I'm running Mint 16 on my i5 NUC and OE on my i3. I did have to install daily ALSA on my i5 and didn't do the xrandr tweak, it works great and I update daily - compiles fast! The ALSA from the 23rd fails on my box and I'm using one dated from the 17th that works great.

My i3 with OE is running the latest from Fritsch on Gotham and won't play my ripped\compressed bluray videos but has zero issue with other media. Not sure what's up and will be copying something local soon to make sure it's not the server although I've never had an issue in the many years I've run XBMC. Video plays for about 7 seconds and fails consistently with only sound being heard - no video displayed. All of these videos are h.264 encoded by me with handbrake so it's a real puzzle and I've heard no suggestions for a fix. I'm getting close to switching to Mint on this as well which is a shame. :-(

Edit: This might help! http://openelec.tv/index.php?option=com_...7&id=14675
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
(2013-12-27, 22:48)twinflower Wrote: Thanks for the info. Exactly which case did you shoot for? I did not find a model suited for D54250WYK in their product list.

Have you tried loading the cpu/hdd heavily and measured the temperature?

The exact type of my case is D3NU1-IR-USB-B + SSD Cooler, here is a chart of the available Cases :

Oh and Here FYI, screenshots from my Audio / Video Settings...with those and the latest built from Fritsch
i didnt encounter any problems yet...VDPAU seemed to f*** something up, since disabled i haven't had a problem.
Its in German but shouldn't be to big of a problem ..

Hi Smonkey,

I'll try to answer your questions one by one:

1. Indeed, even with Mint I've never seen CPU load go above 10% while playing FullHD contents, so no issues there.

2. Hopefully the BIOS update will help, but don't hold your breath, often EDID issues are hard to track seeing as different manufacturers give it their own twist....

3. The black levels are probably ok for the casual viewer and not so apparent on a regular LCD TV. They do become noticeable on a Plasma though. Here's an xrandr example you can play with to tweak the gamma, brightness, refresh rate and Broadcast RGB levels:
xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full" -r 60 --gamma 1.20:1.20:1.20 --brightness 1.00
You can replace "Full" with "Limited 16:235" and see if that brightens things up for you.
This is a workaround though, a bit like twiddling with the brightness and contrast settings on your TV. A real fix would have to come with new drivers from Intel/Mint.

4. If you install the regular repo as shown here you will indeed install xbmc 12.3 including all dependencies, no other drivers/tweaks needed.

Regards,
Q

(2013-12-28, 01:08)smonkey Wrote: Thanks for the replies!

DDD - replacing everything with XBMC isn't really possible, I like to use it to playback downloaded content, but for watching live TV, it's easier for the family just to use Sky (plus games consoles etc..). The issue only happens on my main TV (other TV is fine), but I've been reading the NUC forums and apparently they will issue a BIOS update which will fix HDMI handshake problems. The problem also happens when I turn the TV off, so there isn't really a workaround.

quintixbox - thanks for the info, I'll probably just end up going for Mint. I won't really use the desktop but seeing as the chip is very powerful, it wont cause any performance issues by having it running in the background. OpenELEC is brilliant, but I'm a sysadmin so really want to be able to do things like use the NUC as a NAS (with external drives), possibly HTTP server, maybe hosting my own emails etc.. with postfix, dns server, maybe even VOIP with asterisk at some point.

How bad are the black levels, and are there any known fixes? I've only used it a few times with Ubuntu server but haven't really noticed any problems with that - I assume that the Mint deb would be the same.

Edit: One more thing, I really need to stick with 12.3 at the moment because a lot of the streaming plugins I use don't work in Gotham due to things like python versions.

I've skimmed through a lot of this thread, but to save me reading through 145 pages, can you point me in the direction of the xrandr tweaks?

Finally, am I right in assuming that in mint I just add the repo and install xbmc, with the dependencies taking care of the rest? No other drivers/tweaks needed?
@gamble: It's not the latest Build with Yadif Deinterlacing or? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1582046
You can take Screenshots direct from OE with the Print Function of your Keyboard.
| myHTPC |
Iphone pics Smile

No, its the build i got from Fritsch, do the new nightlies all have the fix for auto. RR?
Or du u mean the SW Filter f. Va-Api? That doesnt work for me..
Why it doesn't work for you?

I mean the Build:

Quote:which is gotham with a new method for intel deinterlacing. Check Video -> Playback.
VPP has fooled us now since a long time and is barely usable especially on haswell. Therefore we chose the wooden hammer. With this version you can use the yadif deinterlacer for awesome quality.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1581857
| myHTPC |
(2013-12-28, 11:01)gamble Wrote: Oh and Here FYI, screenshots from my Audio / Video Settings...with those and the latest built from Fritsch
i didnt encounter any problems yet...VDPAU seemed to f*** something up, since disabled i haven't had a problem.
So according to your screenshots you disabled video hardware acceleration completely (VDPAU + VAAPI)? Does it mean all videos are decoded by the CPU or how does it work now?
(2013-12-28, 11:57)-DDD- Wrote: Why it doesn't work for you?

I mean the Build:

Quote:which is gotham with a new method for intel deinterlacing. Check Video -> Playback.
VPP has fooled us now since a long time and is barely usable especially on haswell. Therefore we chose the wooden hammer. With this version you can use the yadif deinterlacer for awesome quality.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1581857

Can we talk via PM in german, no need to make Things harder then needed.. ^^
As said before with the Version of Fritsch my XBMC instantly freezes if i start a Movie with Va-api + SW Filter enabled.

(2013-12-28, 14:41)devkid Wrote:
(2013-12-28, 11:01)gamble Wrote: Oh and Here FYI, screenshots from my Audio / Video Settings...with those and the latest built from Fritsch
So according to your screenshots you disabled video hardware acceleration completely (VDPAU + VAAPI)? Does it mean all videos are decoded by the CPU or how does it work now?

Yes, Fritsch said VDPAU is for NVIDIA GPU´s and since we don't have them its nonsense to have VDPAU activated...VA-API is disabled cuz it doesn't work
for me, XBMC instantly freezes if i have it activated and start a Movie.
So for now yes, i only use SW decoding..its the only Option that works for me..
sure, when you don't wand to improve your english Wink
| myHTPC |
(2013-12-28, 15:11)-DDD- Wrote: sure, when you don't wand to improve your english Wink

^^
  • 97(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7