• 112(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2014-01-10, 00:54)micoba Wrote:
(2014-01-10, 00:45)fritsch Wrote: File Indexer, Virus Scanner?

I've installed antivir, but I don't think it was scanning, last time this happend an hour ago.

I hate the windows file indexer. I'll see if it is enabled. So this could cause that problem?

The prompt tells me, that XBMC should be closed in order to solve the probelm. If I click on cancel I can continue to watch the movie, but the prompt pops up again after a while.

Can you see on Task Manager how much ram XBMC is using?
(2014-01-08, 17:52)tfouto Wrote:
(2014-01-08, 17:49)joelbaby Wrote:
(2014-01-08, 17:04)tfouto Wrote: I assume ...
You assume wrong.
So do you think the i3 nuc will be able to handle 4k? In what basis do think that?
Thanks

On the basis of reading the product specification: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/n...brief.html

Quote:Also does i3 handle x265 10 bit?
.. I don't want to buy something that will be obsolete in 3 years

Do you know of any chip that does Hardware Decoding of Hi10P? This format relies upon software decoding until the standard was published (only a couple of months ago). Now hardware manufacturers can build it into the hardware. Software decoding (up until now) means that it will be much more CPU intensive, and slow.

I'd hardly call something obsolete because it doesn't do "4K, h.265". There are plenty of alternatives that will still be in use in 3 years time including good old mpeg4, mpeg2, and h.264. You can have 4K encoded in h.264. You can have 1080p in h.265.
(2014-01-09, 19:08)speedway Wrote:
(2014-01-09, 16:27)Cassiuss Wrote: I was also looking for solutions on the OE forum and I think it has to do with this: http://openelec.tv/forum/112-mysql-setup...mitstart=0
In short: OE does not seem to work with the latest version of mySQL

I keep my NUC on as well, but anyone else with this problem?

Hi,

Have you already tried to enable the setting within the OpenELEC settings -> network or services -> 'Wait for the network before starting XBMC'
(it is at the buttom of the option list). I experienced the same problem with MySQL database.

Thanks for your reply. I haven't actually looked at these settings yet! I seem to remember though that when I tried to enter the OE settings (straight after I installed OE) I got a message saying that this option was not active/available yet? Can I still enter these settings if I plug my startup USB stick in it now without reinstalling everything? Or is there another way to enter OE settings?

EDIT: After reading some more on internet I found the OpenELEC settings you are talking about. The problem was that I was on the AEON NOX skin and there are nog OE settings! So I went back to confluence and I found it!

(2014-01-09, 21:25)ascl_ Wrote:
(2014-01-09, 16:27)Cassiuss Wrote: Anyone that can help my with solving this issue? Do all your NUC's work 24/7 without crashing?

Yes, my NUC is on 24/7 and I haven't had a crash yet (well, I have, but it was specifically related to the media portal plugin and FF/RW -- but updating media portal and increasing the timeout time seems to have fixed that one). Certainly no crashes simply by being on (thankfully).

I am using a local (ie not mysql) database, but one difference I do see based on that debug log, is I am just using a windows share (smb) rather than nfs. Maybe NFS isn't completely stable? (yeah seems unlikely).

Thanks! I was actually considering getting completely rid of my old db and making a brand new SMB share since I believe there are less problems with this actually. (I set up NFS back in the day because I read somewhere that it is quicker) Anyone else that has any experience with NFS vs. SMB?
Anyone used the NUC i3 or i5 for full HD 3D? any thoughts?

- Sindre
What EXACTLY are you asking?

MVC?
SBS/OU?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
for the NUC to be able to "handle" HD 3D movies. Graphics card good enough for veiwing 3D, 4K movies
Full HD-3D = MVC
(2014-01-10, 07:02)joelbaby Wrote:
(2014-01-08, 17:52)tfouto Wrote:
(2014-01-08, 17:49)joelbaby Wrote: You assume wrong.
So do you think the i3 nuc will be able to handle 4k? In what basis do think that?
Thanks

On the basis of reading the product specification: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/n...brief.html

Quote:Also does i3 handle x265 10 bit?
.. I don't want to buy something that will be obsolete in 3 years

Do you know of any chip that does Hardware Decoding of Hi10P? This format relies upon software decoding until the standard was published (only a couple of months ago). Now hardware manufacturers can build it into the hardware. Software decoding (up until now) means that it will be much more CPU intensive, and slow.

I'd hardly call something obsolete because it doesn't do "4K, h.265". There are plenty of alternatives that will still be in use in 3 years time including good old mpeg4, mpeg2, and h.264. You can have 4K encoded in h.264. You can have 1080p in h.265.

I am not so sure about i3 nuc handling 1080p in h.265. All 1080p h265 i have seen on internet have bad image. The exception is 007 skyfall in x265 1080p, that is in internet. I dont think i3 nuc can handle that without some ocasional freezes even if rare, or at least with cpu almost always at 100%. The thing is x265 still lacks several implementations...

3 years to me it's too short time to have a device. 5 years minimum...
The version of ffmpeg included with XBMC doesn't support h.265 yet. There is also no hardware acceleration in any available PC APU or GPU for that matter. It will come in time. But it's like every device comes out, there is always something better coming in a few months time..

This device runs very well, it's silent when watching movies (at 20% min fan speed). It's tiny. It does 23.976 Hz properly.

It's too expensive, but that's about it.
I just bought a new USB 3.0 Stick to be able to boot Openelec if I wanted. Now the problem is, I already tried this with 3 (!!!) other 3.0 Sticks, that either weren't recognised on startup or gave me this prompt:

error in mount flash: mount common: could not mount LABEL=System
starting debuging shell... type exit to quit
sh:can't access tty: job control turned off
#

If the bootup worked, I had no problem while running Openelec. It seems to be something either with the openelec startup process or the nuc having issues to detect the booting stick. I never had problems with the installed msata SSD.
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
Use a USB 2.0 stick, it'll boot fine. I see no slowdowns other than boot with a 2.0 stick and support for USB 3 is likely what's causing your boot issues.

Not concerned about h.265. As already stated that has no real support right now from anything so it's not even on my radar, for that matter neither is 4K as I'm not interested in replacing all of my displays (again) anytime soon. If I waited for the perfect device I'd always have some other new shiny causing me to wait and never buy anything. This little box works well, if the cost is a killer buy a Pivos for less and be happy - just don't expect the same performance from something 4x less expensive...
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
(2014-01-10, 12:36)tfouto Wrote: 3 years to me it's too short time to have a device. 5 years minimum...

Well it's very creditable and environmentally friendly not to dispose of devices on a short timescale, but the reality is that future-proofing for 5 years will mean you'll have to over-spec and over-spend today to do something that'll be trivially cheap and much more power-efficient in 3 years time.
hey i have i3 haswell running windows 8
and i have this mce remote from an old windows xp media centre pc - (Image

Is it possible to make this work with the nuc and xbmc.. there is no response when i press any of the buttons right now..

cheers
http://www.openelec.tv/forum/103-infared...rk-with-oe
Im having an audio problem with my install. Im running latest openelec 4 nightly. The system runs but but im getting bad sound over HDMI. Clipping on high frequencies and terrible dialog reproduction. I thought it was a problem with my AV Receiver but ive tried 3 other sources and they are fine, its just the NUC. This happens on Dolby Digital, Stereo, anything it seems. Any ideas? Ive tried playing with all the audio settings but no change
  • 112(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7