• 117(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
xmbc noob here.

I ordered a D34010WYK recently, and then looked at my tv and realised it's not set up for HDMI-CEC. Is the x-box remote the preferred xmbc remote or should I be looking at something else?

Also is OpenELEC Stable - Intel x86_64 Version:3.2.4 the best version of OpenElec to get?

Thanks!
MCE remote is the best and will work on OpenELEC with the script in the 1st post.

And yes 3.2.4 stable version works well.

Read the first post, its all in there.
I want to buy a D54250WYK but I don't know how many ram I need. I want to play all the video formats , included 4k in the future. Should I go for 2x2gb RAM or 2x4gb RAM?

I think twin modues (2x2gb) are better than one ( a 4gb module alone), isn't it?

1.000 Thanks.
(2014-01-13, 18:04)javiertoti Wrote: I want to buy a D54250WYK but I don't know how many ram I need. I want to play all the video formats , included 4k in the future. Should I go for 2x2gb RAM or 2x4gb RAM?

I think twin modues (2x2gb) are better than one ( a 4gb module alone), isn't it?

1.000 Thanks.

It's not certaint that it might run 4k in the future. h264, yes it should run, but 4k h265 only if there is sufficient dxva support. CPU alone it wont be able.

You can also go for 1x4. And buy another 4gb later if you want. 4gb should be more than enough.
4gb ram is more than enough with openELEC.

1 module is better as it uses less power.
(2014-01-13, 18:09)tfouto Wrote:
(2014-01-13, 18:04)javiertoti Wrote: I want to buy a D54250WYK but I don't know how many ram I need. I want to play all the video formats , included 4k in the future. Should I go for 2x2gb RAM or 2x4gb RAM?

1.000 Thanks.

It's not certaint that it might run 4k in the future. h264, yes it should run, but 4k h265 only if there is sufficient dxva support. CPU alone it wont be able.

You can also go for 1x4. And buy another 4gb later if you want. 4gb should be more than enough.

(2014-01-13, 18:09)zag Wrote: 4gb ram is more than enough with openELEC.

1 module is better as it uses less power.

Then, is it better a D34010WYK than a D54250WYK for this purpose? Play all kind of contents with a very fast XBMC menus. I don't have im mind to run windows neither videogames.
(2014-01-13, 16:40)phantom_lord Wrote: I ordered a D34010WYK recently, and then looked at my tv and realised it's not set up for HDMI-CEC. Is the x-box remote the preferred xmbc remote or should I be looking at something else?

Also is OpenELEC Stable - Intel x86_64 Version:3.2.4 the best version of OpenElec to get?

I've got a HP MCE compatible remote that has quite nice layout and works well. You can find those in eBay for a few dollars. Mine is like the number two here.

The stable version is missing still many video related improvements that can be found in the nightlies but should be OK though.
Thanks for the replies. Can I use the same remote for my tv too?
(2014-01-13, 19:44)phantom_lord Wrote: Can I use the same remote for my tv too?

Most likely not. If you want to use the same remote for all your devices, you'll likely need something like universal remote control (Sony RM-VLZ620 is what I've got, Logitech Harmony seems to be popular as well).

(2014-01-13, 18:09)tfouto Wrote: You can also go for 1x4. And buy another 4gb later if you want. 4gb should be more than enough.

2 similar modules does activate dual channel mode though, which is a bit faster. Probably not noticeable in media center use in any way though. I've got currently a single 2Gb module and that seems to be well enough for OpenELEC. I've got another one coming though.

(2014-01-13, 18:54)javiertoti Wrote: Then, is it better a D34010WYK than a D54250WYK for this purpose? Play all kind of contents with a very fast XBMC menus. I don't have im mind to run windows neither videogames.

I don't think the D34010WYK is better for anything else than your wallet. Smile That being said, that's what I got and find that it can do anything in OpenELEC that I've thrown on it (with very fast menus).
Anyone having issues with the library update on startup not working? Running the Gotham nightlies and the library won't update when I start it up -- Updates just fine when I do it manually though...
(2014-01-13, 23:39)smashr Wrote: Anyone having issues with the library update on startup not working? Running the Gotham nightlies and the library won't update when I start it up -- Updates just fine when I do it manually though...

How is this a nuc issue?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
90% of this thread is OpenELEC and remote control specific. I'm waiting for updates regarding the power button issue but every time I come here the thread is hijacked by general support questions that belong in other threads.

/rant
(2014-01-14, 12:01)arokh Wrote: 90% of this thread is OpenELEC and remote control specific. I'm waiting for updates regarding the power button issue but every time I come here the thread is hijacked by general support questions that belong in other threads.

/rant

Exactly.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
What I still don't get, has the power off problem mainly to do with intels bios or something in Openelec? Did anyone ask Intel in the last few days if a fix is at least planned?
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
Here is the Reboot after Shutdown Issue - https://communities.intel.com/message/218578#218578
| myHTPC |
  • 117(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7