• 120(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2014-01-14, 21:17)fritsch Wrote: VC1 interlaced is not implemented by the intel people. They rather decided to segfault hard. VC-1 progressive should be "fine", despite there are decoding artifacts, which is also the case for some mpeg-2s. We reported all this to intel.

That's a huge problem (artifacts during VC1 progressive)... there are MANY good BDs that have VC1 encoding, I don't plan on re-encoding them just because Intel can't get their act together.

Some of them include little known franchises such as The Matrix, Bourne, Batman, Harry Potter, along with other awesome movies like Hot Fuzz, The Shining and a heckuva lot more. I have about 500 BDs and probably 1/5 of them are VC1.
(2014-01-14, 17:48)arokh Wrote: @peio72

Try latest Gotham nightly. Lots of mentions about HD audio in this thread.

@sentimex

Sounds like HDMI handshake issue, can be worked around by using a dr hdmi adapter or extracting the EDID then tell drivers to use that (not sure if that's possible on windows).

How to extract the edid and use it with the driver ?
(2014-01-15, 01:33)voip-ninja Wrote:
(2014-01-14, 21:17)fritsch Wrote: VC1 interlaced is not implemented by the intel people. They rather decided to segfault hard. VC-1 progressive should be "fine", despite there are decoding artifacts, which is also the case for some mpeg-2s. We reported all this to intel.

That's a huge problem (artifacts during VC1 progressive)... there are MANY good BDs that have VC1 encoding, I don't plan on re-encoding them just because Intel can't get their act together.

Some of them include little known franchises such as The Matrix, Bourne, Batman, Harry Potter, along with other awesome movies like Hot Fuzz, The Shining and a heckuva lot more. I have about 500 BDs and probably 1/5 of them are VC1.

VC1s (both progressive and interlaced) decode just fine with XBMC's software decoders, only Intel's hardware APIs are bad. The settings fritsch posted earlier for OE gotham nightlies (and soon XBMC mainline thanks to his PR) solve for that problem just fine. All your BDs with VC1 should play just fine with software decode for VC1...
(2014-01-15, 03:23)millercentral Wrote:

VC1s (both progressive and interlaced) decode just fine with XBMC's software decoders, only Intel's hardware APIs are bad. The settings fritsch posted earlier for OE gotham nightlies (and soon XBMC mainline thanks to his PR) solve for that problem just fine. All your BDs with VC1 should play just fine with software decode for VC1...

There must be some drawback to software decoding otherwise no one would use hardware decoding.
(2014-01-15, 05:15)voip-ninja Wrote: There must be some drawback to software decoding otherwise no one would use hardware decoding.

Well, it uses your CPU and leaves the GPU pretty much unused, even if the GPU is purpose built HW for that kind of tasks. Higher CPU usage means higher power consumption and in case your CPU is not powerful enough it will not be able to handle the decoding. The i3 and i5 models should be fine though.
(2014-01-15, 06:54)trsqr Wrote:
(2014-01-15, 05:15)voip-ninja Wrote: There must be some drawback to software decoding otherwise no one would use hardware decoding.

Well, it uses your CPU and leaves the GPU pretty much unused, even if the GPU is purpose built HW for that kind of tasks. Higher CPU usage means higher power consumption and in case your CPU is not powerful enough it will not be able to handle the decoding. The i3 and i5 models should be fine though.

Can software do perfect 23.976 like the gpu can? If so why even get haswell, why not just get ivy bridge?
(2014-01-10, 11:18)gamble Wrote: Full HD-3D = MVC

aah, thanks Wink
not that mutch in to it at the moment.. Big Grin
but you think this NUC i5 would be able to encode MVC files?
(2014-01-15, 00:17)peio72 Wrote: Any chance to get hd audio with passthrough on my denon 1910 with the i5 nuc haswell ? I'm stuck. Thanx.

Just a FYI, I have a Denon 1713 and HD audio works great here. Seen others here with Denon's as well. I'm not running Windows though.

(2014-01-15, 07:54)voip-ninja Wrote: Can software do perfect 23.976 like the gpu can? If so why even get haswell, why not just get ivy bridge?

Very good question, wonder why I never tried on my Ive Bridge NUC which was perfect in every other way Smile

Anyway, infrared is nice to have though. Using software decoding would generate a lot more heat/noise, and you can forget about 4k.
(2014-01-15, 07:54)voip-ninja Wrote: Can software do perfect 23.976 like the gpu can? If so why even get haswell, why not just get ivy bridge?
slightly simplified: It doesn't matter how the framebuffer contents got there (hw/sw decoded video, opengl rendering, software rendering). Haswell can output the framebuffer contents to HDMI (or DP or whatever) at exactly the right rate for standard video modes. Ivy bridge and earlier can not set the output frequency accurately.
The refresh rate is not related to the ability to decode a particular format. How the image is taken from compressed format to something that can be displayed is what you are talking about when you talk about decoding on the CPU or GPU. Once that image is decompressed it is displayed on the screen at a certain refresh rate (well a stream of images, not just one).

So, to flip it around, ivy bridge wasn't able to accurately use a 23.976 refresh rate, regardless of how the images are decompressed. Haswell can.

EDIT: Bah, beaten to the punch by lmyllari!! Smile
(2014-01-15, 11:17)arokh Wrote:
(2014-01-15, 00:17)peio72 Wrote: Any chance to get hd audio with passthrough on my denon 1910 with the i5 nuc haswell ? I'm stuck. Thanx.

Just a FYI, I have a Denon 1713 and HD audio works great here. Seen others here with Denon's as well. I'm not running Windows though.

Very good question, wonder why I never tried on my Ive Bridge NUC which was perfect in every other way Smile

Anyway, infrared is nice to have though. Using software decoding would generate a lot more heat/noise, and you can forget about 4k.

Ok I will have a try with an openelec distrib to see if it comes from windows drivers. Thanx.
(2014-01-15, 03:23)millercentral Wrote:

LAV filters are already supporting Intel GPUs VC-1/WMV3 DXVA2:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=...ost1661777

"LAV Video
- Added support for VC-1/WMV3 DXVA2 decoding on recent Intel GPUs (Ivy Bridge/Haswell, needs recent drivers)
"

"
VC-1/WMV3 DXVA on Intel GPUs

Intel finally started to support proper decode acceleration of VC-1 through DXVA2. This is only available for Ivy Bridge and Haswell, and only with recent drivers.
Before, it was only possible to achieve this through the QuickSync decoder, but now DXVA2 Native and Copy-Back can also use it.

In general it works pretty flawlessly, however there is still a known issue with image corruption on a few rare samples, which I was unable to clearly pinpoint and fix yet, but it'll be handled in a future release once the issue can be identified."
Quote:VC1s (both progressive and interlaced) decode just fine with XBMC's software decoders

This is wrong for interlaced because it's only half implemented in the version of ffmpeg which is currently in use by XBMC.
I'm considering getting the D34010WYK for my HTPC to replace my ATV1. I want to have 5.1 audio on the HDMI jack and stereo output on the headphone jack at the same time. My receiver only takes analog input for Zone 2 and I don't want to have to change audio devices in XBMC each time. Both connections will connect through my Onkyo receiver. I currently do this on my ATV1 with CB2.

So in XBMC Audio setup:
Audio Output= HDMI
Speaker configuration=5.1
Audio output device = HDMI Output (whatever the device name is)-don't want to have to change this to Analog Audio Device
Passthrough output device= HDMI Output (whatever the device name is)

So when playing Music I would get sound from the HDMI and Stereo output. When playing Movies I would get HDMI 5.1 output.
I sometimes listen to Music with the receiver and TV on so I need audio through the HDMI. Other times I listen to Music only with Zone 2 on my receiver and the TV off. I know some sound boards provide simultaneous support for 5.1 channel sound playback, plus 2 channels of independent stereo sound output (multiple streaming) through the front panel stereo output.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Could someone test?
I would use either Windows 7 or Linux Mint as OS.
Hello forum,
I want to replace my raspberry pi with a NUC, too. Therefore I have some questions.

(2014-01-14, 20:00)tfouto Wrote:
(2014-01-14, 19:46)Jönke Wrote: If i want "perfect" 23,976 playback is there any difference with

INTEL NUC I3 4010U HASWELL with Intel HD Graphics 4400
vs
INTEL NUC I5 4250U HASWELL with Intel HD Graphics 5000

Nope. Both handle perfectly 23.976 playback.

How about the new Celeron NUC with improved GPU, the DN2820FYK with Intel Celeron N2820 ? Are there any information yet if it can handle it?

(2014-01-15, 06:54)trsqr Wrote:

What about the Celeron version (which is about 150 € cheaper than the i3. Do you think it can handle VC1 decoding in software?

Greetings
David
  • 120(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7