• 145(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Last night I tried booting up my i3 Haswell NUC with the USB stick I've been running Openelec off of on the DN2820. On the DN2820 everything works great except Bluetooth. The IR works without me having to do anything.

When I booted up the i3 the IR didn't work at all. I ran out of time but I'll try some of the known fixes this weekend to see what I get.
(2014-02-14, 11:36)fritsch Wrote: If I see it right:

- Bios Bug with the remote
- Shutdown problem with Wake On Lan?

Anything else we miss - we are just preparing workarounds for OpenELEC, so that this will all work out of the box. Not that hard for the IR, but the shutdown one sucks :-)

Running i3 version here, my issues are:
-NUC reboots on shutdown unless you disable WOL
-When suspended in Frodo it just wakes up again. Tried disabling WOL, unplugged USB and Ethernet cable, no fix
-when suspending in Gotham nightlies, it just crashes
-seems to require to presses of the power button on my remote to wake via CIR
-if you get a crash or hard reset via the power button, you can only restart via the remote, the power button becomes non-functioning (even after pulling the plug and putting it back). Not sure if this is an XBMC/OE issue or bios issue.

That's pretty much it for me. I don't use USB devices so I can't comment on that
Wink 
(2014-02-14, 17:39)Richie Wrote:
(2014-02-14, 11:36)fritsch Wrote: If I see it right:

- Bios Bug with the remote
- Shutdown problem with Wake On Lan?

Anything else we miss - we are just preparing workarounds for OpenELEC, so that this will all work out of the box. Not that hard for the IR, but the shutdown one sucks :-)

Running i3 version here, my issues are:
-NUC reboots on shutdown unless you disable WOL
-When suspended in Frodo it just wakes up again. Tried disabling WOL, unplugged USB and Ethernet cable, no fix
-when suspending in Gotham nightlies, it just crashes
-seems to require to presses of the power button on my remote to wake via CIR
-if you get a crash or hard reset via the power button, you can only restart via the remote, the power button becomes non-functioning (even after pulling the plug and putting it back). Not sure if this is an XBMC/OE issue or bios issue.

That's pretty much it for me. I don't use USB devices so I can't comment on that

^^ What he said! Nod Pretty much exactly the same situation.
(2014-02-14, 14:34)LastMile Wrote:
(2014-02-14, 13:49)micoba Wrote: No! The USB 3.0 bug is still there...

I've had no problems with my Sandisk Extreme 16Gb USB 3.0 Flash Drive with any BIOS, including the original one it shipped with in November.

Plugged into one of the rear USB 3.0 ports. Haven't done any speed tests, but it feels just as fast in the GUI as the Intel SSD I ran in my ASRock Ion 330.

I am talking about boot problems with USB 3.0, when trying to boot into OpenElec.

I have no problems with USB 3.0 and Windows.

@ollie

That is known (at least I knew that), but it didn't work for me at all (CMOS wasn't reset). Nuc would also start into windows without even showing BIOS options, when jumper was set to 2-3.

Please report, if it worked for you!
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
(2014-02-14, 13:49)micoba Wrote: I am talking about boot problems with USB 3.0, when trying to boot into OpenElec.

I have no problems with USB 3.0 and Windows

Sorry micoba, I should have been more specific.

I have no problems running OpenELEC off a Sandisk Extreme USB 3.0 stick in an i5 Haswell NUC. Originally started using 3.2.4, then upgraded to nightlies as soon as the colour range/black level fixes were added.

I do have an Intel SSD installed for Windows, but legacy BIOS is set to boot USB first (UEFI disabled).

I was just yanking the USB drive whenever I wanted to boot into Windows 7, but I've since modded the Syslinux menu on the OpenELEC USB stick to give me a boot menu (10 second time out) to select OpenELEC by default, or choose Windows (Logitech DiNovo Mini has no Function keys).
It's a well known problem with the nuc.

I tried 4 different USB 3.0 sticks and a USB 3.0 cardreader and none worked properly.

Either you were lucky or it has something to do with your stick!
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
Is there any disadvantage to enabling Secureboot on the NUC?

Edit: Besides not being able to install unauthorized OS when it's enabled.
Anyone know the difference in power consumption btw baytrail Celeron nuc, i3 haswell, and i5 haswell.
Is there a big difference between them?
PSA - new firmware is out.. #24
New Fixes/Features:
 Updated fan speed control module.
 Fixed issue that prevented booting and installing some operating
systems, such as SteamOS*.
 Fixed issue where Hard Disk Drive Password length did not match
the specification.
 Fixed issue where system hangs if certain USB thumb drives are
connected.
 Updated Integrated Graphics:
o Option ROM: Build 2179 PC 14.34
o UEFI Driver: 5.0.1036
 Updated Visual BIOS strings:
o Memory Information\Bank Locator modified to “Channel A/B
slot 0”
o Intel Dynamic Power Technology\If enabled, BIOS will report
ACPI C2 State (mapped to processor C7 state).
(2014-02-14, 20:04)micoba Wrote:
(2014-02-14, 14:34)LastMile Wrote:
(2014-02-14, 13:49)micoba Wrote: No! The USB 3.0 bug is still there...

I've had no problems with my Sandisk Extreme 16Gb USB 3.0 Flash Drive with any BIOS, including the original one it shipped with in November.

Plugged into one of the rear USB 3.0 ports. Haven't done any speed tests, but it feels just as fast in the GUI as the Intel SSD I ran in my ASRock Ion 330.

I am talking about boot problems with USB 3.0, when trying to boot into OpenElec.

I have no problems with USB 3.0 and Windows.

@ollie

That is known (at least I knew that), but it didn't work for me at all (CMOS wasn't reset). Nuc would also start into windows without even showing BIOS options, when jumper was set to 2-3.

Please report, if it worked for you!

Perhaps this tool will work? http://www.rmprepusb.com/

See the video here... It obviously doesn't fix the BIOS, but it may allow you to boot OpenElec
OMG, I just spent a ton of money on a D34010WYKH2 loaded with memory, SSD, HDD and a WIFI card to replace my old HTPC and the NUC's HDMI output is HORRIBLE - everything is washed out and the blacks are more like grays. My previous HTPC with a crappy nVidia GT520 was absolutely flawless.

I googled and found out that some people had this problem with various Linuxes running on it but I am using Windows 8.1. Is there something I can do to fix this or should I try to return it? Is Gigabyte BRIX any better?
latest BIOS and Graphics Driver?
| myHTPC |
Latest.

I still have both systems connected on the TV, I will try to take some pictures a bit later.
Tried using the displayport to see if it has the same issues?
Edit: If you right click the Intel HD graphics icon in the tray, you'll see there are a few profiles. Could always try a few of those.
The color range is set to full, changing it to limited or auto washes the colors out more but the blacks are still gray. On the nVidia system there is no special setting on the control panel, everything is just out of the box.
Might be my old Sony TV that has the problem. Gonna go check on a friend's TV and keep you posted.
  • 145(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7