• 146(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2014-02-15, 09:32)g28s Wrote: OMG, I just spent a ton of money on a D34010WYKH2 loaded with memory, SSD, HDD and a WIFI card to replace my old HTPC and the NUC's HDMI output is HORRIBLE - everything is washed out and the blacks are more like grays. My previous HTPC with a crappy nVidia GT520 was absolutely flawless.

I googled and found out that some people had this problem with various Linuxes running on it but I am using Windows 8.1. Is there something I can do to fix this or should I try to return it? Is Gigabyte BRIX any better?

Yeah its the same with mine, i3, 4gb, 30gb...washed out blacks, ....tried WIN 7, OE, and ubuntu, all the same.

the only thing i can do is boost the contrast,colour, and brightness settings on my TV.
(2014-02-14, 20:04)micoba Wrote:
(2014-02-14, 14:34)LastMile Wrote:
(2014-02-14, 13:49)micoba Wrote: No! The USB 3.0 bug is still there...

I've had no problems with my Sandisk Extreme 16Gb USB 3.0 Flash Drive with any BIOS, including the original one it shipped with in November.

Plugged into one of the rear USB 3.0 ports. Haven't done any speed tests, but it feels just as fast in the GUI as the Intel SSD I ran in my ASRock Ion 330.

I am talking about boot problems with USB 3.0, when trying to boot into OpenElec.

I have no problems with USB 3.0 and Windows.

@ollie

That is known (at least I knew that), but it didn't work for me at all (CMOS wasn't reset). Nuc would also start into windows without even showing BIOS options, when jumper was set to 2-3.

Please report, if it worked for you!

@micoba, sorry but I only received this message on the Intel forum AFTER I had already removed the motherboard and disconnected the CMOS battery, so I have not tried this jumper option myself. At least disconnecting the battery did solve the power button problem for me.

(2014-02-15, 12:57)jinkyjim Wrote:
(2014-02-15, 09:32)g28s Wrote: OMG, I just spent a ton of money on a D34010WYKH2 loaded with memory, SSD, HDD and a WIFI card to replace my old HTPC and the NUC's HDMI output is HORRIBLE - everything is washed out and the blacks are more like grays. My previous HTPC with a crappy nVidia GT520 was absolutely flawless.

I googled and found out that some people had this problem with various Linuxes running on it but I am using Windows 8.1. Is there something I can do to fix this or should I try to return it? Is Gigabyte BRIX any better?

Yeah its the same with mine, i3, 4gb, 30gb...washed out blacks, ....tried WIN 7, OE, and ubuntu, all the same.

the only thing i can do is boost the contrast,colour, and brightness settings on my TV.

@jinkyjim, on my tv (a Pioneer Kuro 508D) I can specify what type of signal is being received via hdmi: "video" or "pc" (=limited RGB). That solved my problem completely (lucky me). Does your tv have something like that as well?
Just updated to the newest nightly..R17710...and still have the problem that i can not shutdown...this is happening with every Nightly above R17xxx
Smile 
(2014-02-15, 14:07)OllieB Wrote:
(2014-02-14, 20:04)micoba Wrote:
(2014-02-14, 14:34)LastMile Wrote: I've had no problems with my Sandisk Extreme 16Gb USB 3.0 Flash Drive with any BIOS, including the original one it shipped with in November.

Plugged into one of the rear USB 3.0 ports. Haven't done any speed tests, but it feels just as fast in the GUI as the Intel SSD I ran in my ASRock Ion 330.

I am talking about boot problems with USB 3.0, when trying to boot into OpenElec.

I have no problems with USB 3.0 and Windows.

@ollie

That is known (at least I knew that), but it didn't work for me at all (CMOS wasn't reset). Nuc would also start into windows without even showing BIOS options, when jumper was set to 2-3.

Please report, if it worked for you!

@micoba, sorry but I only received this message on the Intel forum AFTER I had already removed the motherboard and disconnected the CMOS battery, so I have not tried this jumper option myself. At least disconnecting the battery did solve the power button problem for me.

(2014-02-15, 12:57)jinkyjim Wrote:

@jinkyjim, on my tv (a Pioneer Kuro 508D) I can specify what type of signal is being received via hdmi: "video" or "pc" (=limited RGB). That solved my problem completely (lucky me). Does your tv have something like that as well?

Thanks, mine has PC and TV Settings, its a little better.
(2014-02-15, 14:48)gamble Wrote: Just updated to the newest nightly..R17710...and still have the problem that i can not shutdown...this is happening with every Nightly above R17xxx

I just updated to the latest nightly as well - (clean install) for some reason the ir fix isn't working so no remote doesnt work, anyone have a solution?
Are others having IR issues with r17682 on the N2820Huh The IR simply doesn't seem to be functioning at all.
(2014-02-15, 21:25)baltik Wrote:
(2014-02-15, 14:48)gamble Wrote: Just updated to the newest nightly..R17710...and still have the problem that i can not shutdown...this is happening with every Nightly above R17xxx

I just updated to the latest nightly as well - (clean install) for some reason the ir fix isn't working so no remote doesnt work, anyone have a solution?

Does yours reboot too every time u try to shutdown? Its not the old dual boot problem but it reboots all time :/
(2014-02-16, 09:29)gamble Wrote: Does yours reboot too every time u try to shutdown? Its not the old dual boot problem but it reboots all time :/

Disable wake on Lan
Well not to spoil the fun, but I don't have any big problems with my i5 hasswell nuc anymore (D54250WYK)

Updated to latest bios v24.
Disabled Wake-on lan.
Disabled UEFI secure boot.
Put boot from USB first.
Installed Openelec snap nightly built "OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20140209021212-r17682-g77f82ca" on my kingston usb 3.0 stick.

Which can be downloaden here :

http://snapshots.openelec.tv/

On my internal msata plextor drive I've got an windows 8.1 enterprise installed.

Enabled SSH, used winscp to transfer my sources.xml.
Connected with LAN.
Run the autoscript to fix the IR (MCE remote). (autostart.sh)
-> ssh into terminal :
echo "#!/bin/sh" > /storage/.config/autostart.sh && chmod +x /storage/.config/autostart.sh
nano /storage/.config/autostart.sh
"
#!/bin/sh
# IR fix
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-cir
"

In Openelec system settings turned on advanced and put sync to refresh rate.
For the 24hz content. Which is 95% of what I use it for. (1080p 24p)

And here is the funny part :
After the bios update I had to boot my NUC once into windows, shut it down,
to be able to use my OLD mce remote to be able to power on the NUC with the remote.
Ofcourse I had to put my USB stick with openelec back in, which I pulled out to start
Windows from the msata.

x264 movies seems to play flawless...

Doesn't reboot after 30 minutes, doesn't crash, can turn it off with my mce remote.
Use the remote to navigate and to power on the device.

It's quite silent when playing 1080p 24p content, even 3D half SBS.

I love my nuc Wink

Djbase
(2014-02-16, 09:29)gamble Wrote:
(2014-02-15, 21:25)baltik Wrote:

Does yours reboot too every time u try to shutdown? Its not the old dual boot problem but it reboots all time :/

I had 2 dividends reboot problems 1 it don’t shut off like a reset 2 it shut off and reboots.
It’s not an exact fix sometimes it works in one time.
A adder time I have to jump in the bios 2 or 3 times.
Cut the power cable before the reboot.
Go in the bios F2 and save F10.
My settings wol off and a usb keyboard plugged in.
Can´t disable WOL, i use my tablet to control the Nuc..as said <R17xxx i get Dual-Boot´s..but that doesnt bother me too much anymore... while everything above R17xxx keeps the Nuc rebooting every time i shut off, i now flashed back to R16895 and it works like usual again (only Duel-Boot..)
hey guys

quick q about the intel nuc

how quiet is the unit itself under normal operation running windows? also when playing 1080p movies.
It is not audible, even in the near proximity. I am talking about i5 haswell, for others dont know.
The only time its get audible is under aeon nox when updating library or fast surfing over menues and library.
Under any other windows programs I havent heard a fan yet.
(2014-02-16, 16:23)elim Wrote: hey guys

quick q about the intel nuc

how quiet is the unit itself under normal operation running windows? also when playing 1080p movies.

i3 haswell....mine is silent, never heard the fan running,
i sit about a meter from it when i'm tinkering with it.
Maybe something useful:

I use the harmony touch remote.
Nuc i3 with Windows 8.1 and latest nightly of xbmc.
Installed the IR drivers

I have 2 devices in my harmony: Intel nuc D34010 and Microsoft Media Center SE

When I use the activity with the nuc device in it, I can't power it on. But I can control xbmc fine.
When I shutdown the activity the nuc goes down en starts back up.

When I use the activity with the Media Center SE in it, I can power it on and it shuts down fine. No reboot.

The activity with the nuc device in it works fine under openelec.
  • 146(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7