• 148(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Hello,

been following this thread for quite some time, very useful information, thanks!

I've finally bought my own Nuc (i3), with 4gb RAM and a HDMI Mini to HDMI cable. I had a normal USB 2.0 stick lying around, so used that one. Installed OpenElec nightly build, et voila! Worked for some time, unfortunately couldn't get video (HDMI) out of the NUC the second day. After some resetting and trying out, video came back, but only for one hour or so. No more video, even with more resetting. I finally found an adapter for mini display port, and got video to try out. Unfortunately HDMI port seems to be dead, whatever I do (even if I set HDMI as first video output instead of "Auto"). I ordered another Mini HDMI to HDMI cable, just to check if it's a cable problem.
Anyone else had similar problems? The NUC is otherwise superb, a great box for OpenElec and XBMC.

Thanks for your help!
(2014-02-17, 21:21)connorxxl Wrote: Hello,

been following this thread for quite some time, very useful information, thanks!

I've finally bought my own Nuc (i3), with 4gb RAM and a HDMI Mini to HDMI cable. I had a normal USB 2.0 stick lying around, so used that one. Installed OpenElec nightly build, et voila! Worked for some time, unfortunately couldn't get video (HDMI) out of the NUC the second day. After some resetting and trying out, video came back, but only for one hour or so. No more video, even with more resetting. I finally found an adapter for mini display port, and got video to try out. Unfortunately HDMI port seems to be dead, whatever I do (even if I set HDMI as first video output instead of "Auto"). I ordered another Mini HDMI to HDMI cable, just to check if it's a cable problem.
Anyone else had similar problems? The NUC is otherwise superb, a great box for OpenElec and XBMC.

Thanks for your help!

I haven't had any video issues, but have read about one or two here and there. Good move trying the cable first -- that's the cheapest and easiest thing to rule out.
Could also be a handshake issue. Try powering NUC and TV (and AVR if applicable) on/off in different order.
If that doesn't fix it, then I'd RMA that sucker.
I placed my order thru logicsupply for an i5 D54250WYB today..
I have a question about the video/audio output :
My a/v receiver can't read 3d but my TV can, would it be possible to send the video direct to the tv with either the hdmi or display port and then send the audio via the other output to my a/v amp?
(2014-02-16, 12:13)Plany Wrote: Disable wake on Lan

(2014-02-16, 12:27)djbase666 Wrote: Well not to spoil the fun, but I don't have any big problems with my i5 hasswell nuc anymore (D54250WYK)

Updated to latest bios v24.
Disabled Wake-on lan.
Disabled UEFI secure boot.
Put boot from USB first.
Installed Openelec snap nightly built "OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-devel-20140209021212-r17682-g77f82ca" on my kingston usb 3.0 stick.
...snip...

Last night I set "Wake on LAN" and "UEFI boot" to off.

IR from my desired remotes is now coming through to my ir-keytable -t! Hooray!

Interestingly only one power button is causing power-on tho. That's one of the ten configurations on my universal remote. Any thoughts there??
@connorxxl

Same for me. Display is dead until X is started. Once the display driver is initialized, the output is enabled, and I can reboot and see the POST etc. Didn't get HDMI to work at all but Displayport works as stated. There's been mentions of handshake issues in this thread before, all with Denon receivers as far as I have seen, same like I have.

Upgraded to latest BIOS, still my power button doesn't work. No known fix for this? Guess hardware issue... Let's hope they get it right with the next NUC.
(2014-02-17, 09:40)Richie Wrote:
(2014-02-17, 03:16)chongwho Wrote: Has everyone with a harmony remote been able to set up successfully using MyHarmony online setup?

I have tried following other threads on this forum (specific for setting up Harmony remotes) but thought my problem may have been NUC related so posting it up here.

With my Harmony 650, I have Media Center Extender set up in my 'XBMC' activity, which successfully controls the directional arrows and play/pause etc, however within the same activity, I have MCE Keyboard set up, with C mapped to Harmony 'menu', Esc mapped to Harmony 'exit' etc and none of these buttons seem to work at all? Any hints as to what I may be doing wrong?

I use Openelec, but I think it's the same as XBMC. You need to create a keymap.xml and put it in /userdata/keymaps/. You can have a search around here and on the OE forums for a pre-made template, or I can share mine if you want (I use the Harmony 650 too).

The defauly keys are ok, some are missing, but I set up custom keys to mark items as watched and turn subtitles on and off.

(2014-02-17, 13:37)seapoint Wrote:
(2014-02-17, 03:16)chongwho Wrote: Has everyone with a harmony remote been able to set up successfully using MyHarmony online setup?

I have tried following other threads on this forum (specific for setting up Harmony remotes) but thought my problem may have been NUC related so posting it up here.

With my Harmony 650, I have Media Center Extender set up in my 'XBMC' activity, which successfully controls the directional arrows and play/pause etc, however within the same activity, I have MCE Keyboard set up, with C mapped to Harmony 'menu', Esc mapped to Harmony 'exit' etc and none of these buttons seem to work at all? Any hints as to what I may be doing wrong?

What OS are you using?, although I imagine it it OS independent.

I was pulling my hair out, tried every combination of Mediacentre setups with my Harmony300, and finally tried

Manufacturer: Microsoft
Model: XBMC

Works 100% The only thing I had to configure was the 'esc' command to the 'Menu' key.

Try it and report back. It would be great to get a definitive make/model instructions in the WIKI

Awesome, thanks for both of these responses. The Microsoft - XBMC option seems reasonably fool-proof. I will give that a go tonight. (running OpenElec BTW)
If that fails, then I will do a little more research on the keymap.xml option Richie mentioned (and might even ask you for your template if I get stuck).

Really keen to get this all sorted out.

Cheers.

(2014-02-17, 16:54)Aquila Wrote: After i made the Bios Reset with the Jumper, because my Power Button doesn`t work, i cannot get to my Bios anymore. Also there is no Nuc Logo and i have no possibility to press F2. Openelec Boots sometime, thats all.

Anyone else with this problem?

Since updating to BIOS 24 on my i5 I have the same problem. I wanted to get in and amend WoL and Deep S4/S5 settings but not sure how to access the menu.

Also, since the BIOS update, my nuc seems to be a bit louder. I have checked the system specs and report that CPU temp is approx 72 degrees celcius. Is that cooking? CPU0 Usage fluctuates around the 20% mark.
Followup: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid...pid1628122

Apparently graphic drivers got borked upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. I did a clean 8.1 install and everything works fine now.
Are there any special considerations on what is required from the mSATA drive?
for example will something like this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/128GB-Sandisk-mS...19e3242f59
And there are a ton of used drives at quite attractive prices.
I see a huge variation on pricing of mSATA drives - are differences simply read/write speeds?

I recognize the memory has to be 1.35V
(2014-02-19, 02:31)DEcosse Wrote: Are there any special considerations on what is required from the mSATA drive?
for example will something like this work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/128GB-Sandisk-mS...19e3242f59
I see a huge variation on pricing of mSATA drives - are differences simply read/write speeds?

I've tested two models and both worked fine. The other one was Sandisk U100. I can't see why the model you linked would not work.
(2014-02-19, 02:31)DEcosse Wrote: Are there any special considerations on what is required from the mSATA drive?

I recognize the memory has to be 1.35V

The first thing is to know your model of NUC! Some models (earlier ones) only take 2.5" mSATA. Others only take 2.5" SATA III.

The second thing is to research the make and model of SSD you plan to buy. Some have issues. Some vendors for example have released an initial version of an SSD that performs very well for rock-bottom prices. And a few moths later switch production to a different country and have performance become horrid.

Other than that, I don't recall anyone having specific SSD issues with a NUC. I suggest putting together a profile of your planned build and post in the XBMC Hardware forum asking for review.
(2014-02-19, 03:55)surfarcher Wrote: The first thing is to know your model of NUC!

Well this is the Haswell specific thread, so presumed that was already implied to be either i3 or i5 Haswell (still debating)
(2014-02-19, 04:27)DEcosse Wrote: Well this is the Haswell specific thread, so presumed that was already implied to be either i3 or i5 Haswell (still debating)

If you like you can ignore my advice and not research the model you run with thoroughly. I am, after all, noone special...
I have the Powerbutton Bug and want to remove the Batterie Cable to reset Bios, but i can´t remove the Mainboard.
There are two black Screws i took out, is that enough? Cant´t take out the board and i pulled strong enough.

What am I doing wrong?
(2014-02-19, 13:52)Aquila Wrote: I have the Powerbutton Bug and want to remove the Batterie Cable to reset Bios, but i can´t remove the Mainboard.
There are two black Screws i took out, is that enough? Cant´t take out the board and i pulled strong enough.

What am I doing wrong?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1627536
Thx Crssi,

i already tried this version but nothing changed.

I have to try the Batterie Cable Workaround, Many people were successfull with that.
  • 148(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7