• 157(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2014-02-28, 01:34)frarev Wrote:
(2014-02-27, 21:50)fritsch Wrote: @frarev:

I talked with bob. Playing 23.976 fps content at a perfect 23.9756 refreshrate will work perfect, as the clocks match and nothing needs to be dropped / duped. If you play 23.976 fps content at 24.0 hz you have a big problem when passthroughin cause that will get you a whole lot of drops and dupes. I would not use passthrough in that case, then you could resample audio. If you really need passthrough - then you have to set the Method to Audio Clock.

Users where the GPU cannot do correct 23.976 fps, have a big problem, cause the clocks will always differ. I can only suggest to not use passthrough in that case, if you want both perfect smooth picture and no drops / dupes in audio.

You can verify what your TV is really doing by running xbmc-xrandr and check the output. Most TVs display 24 for both the 23.976 and 24 hz mode.

Well, it seems that Video clock Drop/Dupe audio Is the best option for me for 23.something Fps. I have a perfect smooth video play and audio is OK.

This is few lines of my OpenElec Frodo logs :
- CVideoReferenceClock: Clock speed 100.100000% : so the option works if I quite understand Fritsch's explanation
- Every 30s (approx) i have CDVDPlayerAudio:: Skipping 1 packet(s) of 32.00 ms duration
- I have Audiophile switch enabled
- i have RAW passthrough enabled

But for other Fps like 25fps or 29.970 Fps it's horrible. Big stuttering. Bad we can't activate or not the option according fps with AdvancedSettings.xml for instance.

Anyway, thanks for explanations that help to understand how XBMC options work.

Audiophile switch is not existent in gotham anymore, it does nothing. When you play 25 fps content at 50 hz all is fine. When you play 29.970 at 60 hz it gets problematic, cause the syncer must do a lot more. If your TV really cannot do 23.976 fps, I would disable that settings, when you want to use passthrough. It will be perfect when you disable passthrough and choose audio resample. Only disadvantage: DTS-HD Master is not decoded, but only the core. If you have a 5.1 setup you might perhaps even not realize it. Other advantages: You will be able to control your volume again with the xbmcs internal volume. You loose absolutely nothing quality wise (despite with DTS-HD) when doing that. You even win a lot: No more drops / dups in audio. Perfect audio + video.

You won't see the DTS-HD Master / Dolby / DTS / etc. Icon on your AVR anymore. If that bothers you, put a bit of paper infront of it :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-02-27, 19:25)fritsch Wrote: No - that has no relevance at all. Those delay is a constant offset, which was found by "experimenting", e.g. we asked approximately 100 users concerning their constant offset for specific samples we posted, we summed that up, removed the outliers and ended at 175 ms. It is not yet fully known where this is coming from. We know for sure that there are TVs out there that need more time when doing 24p / 23.9758 fps content - cause they do additional processing.

LipSync and stuff does not work at all on Linux. Only AMD has implemented it in their radeon drivers, but alsa does not make use of it.

Watch some samples and see if you hear sound after mouth moves or before and find your personal special value :-)

To add: this offset is only used for 24.0 / 23.9758 refreshrate.

Edit: We thought that Audio Engine (in frodo) was causing this problem and in deed Anssi found a problem in the old AE code, which is fixed in 12.3 (did not resolve all constant offsets) - when we rewrote a complete new AudioEngine for gotham, this problem was not "included" at all - so the "hw based offset" is still one that is part of the cause.

If you want to do it really write. You need drivers that use LipSync and Sound drivers that incorporate that information and application api that can use it for delay - which we don't have, none of that.

Simple Blurayplayers have that spec and use it though - which sucks in comparison.

Found it, finally!
It was my samsung tv auto motion plus setting it was set to clear which all reviews & pro calibrations recommande! switching it off solve the a/v sync case.
(wondering how fast motion scenes will look like now!!!)
edit: after all it seems impossible to keep AMP off, the picture look horrible.
my bad luck, got to decide between perfect sync and perfect picture.

thank you again, your comments was very helpful.
LG OLED65C8 / Denon AVR-X3200W / KEF E305+ONKYO SKH-410 / Synology DS2415+ / Logitech Harmony Companion / ZOTAC MAGNUS EN1060K (Kodi DSPlayer x64) / LightSpace HTL, DisplayCal, HCFR, Calman / i1D3 OEM Rev.B, i1PRO2 OEM Rev.E
I got my i3 model in and set it up with Gentoo Linux.
But I am running into a problem with OpenGL support.

With just X I can run glxgears properly, and glxinfo | grep rendering shows me I am OK too.
But when I run either xbmc or /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin it's a no go.

Quote:weust@xbmc ~ $ xbmc
Error: unable to open display
XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
Install an appropriate graphics driver.

Please consult XBMC Wiki for supported hardware
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Supported_hardware

Quote:weust@xbmc ~ $ /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin
Can't open display
ERROR: Unable to create GUI. Exiting
Segmentation fault

Am I missing something somewhere?

Edit: link to xbmc.log
Yes you are missing a debug log
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-02-28, 09:18)fritsch Wrote:
(2014-02-28, 01:34)frarev Wrote:
(2014-02-27, 21:50)fritsch Wrote: @frarev:

I talked with bob. Playing 23.976 fps content at a perfect 23.9756 refreshrate will work perfect, as the clocks match and nothing needs to be dropped / duped. If you play 23.976 fps content at 24.0 hz you have a big problem when passthroughin cause that will get you a whole lot of drops and dupes. I would not use passthrough in that case, then you could resample audio. If you really need passthrough - then you have to set the Method to Audio Clock.

Users where the GPU cannot do correct 23.976 fps, have a big problem, cause the clocks will always differ. I can only suggest to not use passthrough in that case, if you want both perfect smooth picture and no drops / dupes in audio.

You can verify what your TV is really doing by running xbmc-xrandr and check the output. Most TVs display 24 for both the 23.976 and 24 hz mode.

Well, it seems that Video clock Drop/Dupe audio Is the best option for me for 23.something Fps. I have a perfect smooth video play and audio is OK.

This is few lines of my OpenElec Frodo logs :
- CVideoReferenceClock: Clock speed 100.100000% : so the option works if I quite understand Fritsch's explanation
- Every 30s (approx) i have CDVDPlayerAudio:: Skipping 1 packet(s) of 32.00 ms duration
- I have Audiophile switch enabled
- i have RAW passthrough enabled

But for other Fps like 25fps or 29.970 Fps it's horrible. Big stuttering. Bad we can't activate or not the option according fps with AdvancedSettings.xml for instance.

Anyway, thanks for explanations that help to understand how XBMC options work.

Audiophile switch is not existent in gotham anymore, it does nothing. When you play 25 fps content at 50 hz all is fine. When you play 29.970 at 60 hz it gets problematic, cause the syncer must do a lot more. If your TV really cannot do 23.976 fps, I would disable that settings, when you want to use passthrough. It will be perfect when you disable passthrough and choose audio resample. Only disadvantage: DTS-HD Master is not decoded, but only the core. If you have a 5.1 setup you might perhaps even not realize it. Other advantages: You will be able to control your volume again with the xbmcs internal volume. You loose absolutely nothing quality wise (despite with DTS-HD) when doing that. You even win a lot: No more drops / dups in audio. Perfect audio + video.

You won't see the DTS-HD Master / Dolby / DTS / etc. Icon on your AVR anymore. If that bothers you, put a bit of paper infront of it :-)

First, I'm using XBMC frodo OpenElec 3.2.4, not gotham yet. I guess the explanations are the same but perharps results will be different because I read Gotham has a new audio/video engine.
My Nuc i5 is connected (audio and video) with mini-hdmi to my Yamaha A3020 Receiver, that is connected to my Pioneer Plasma.

Now, I disabled Audiophile switch.

I tested Disable Passtrough and tried the option Video clock (resamble audio) : this give awfull results
23,976 fps : video smooth, sound horrible.
25 and 29,97 fps : sound OK but video with heavy stuttering (not watchable).

So I get confused about your explanations.

I tryed Audio clock :
23,976 fps : video quite perfect (few very small stuttering)
25 and 29,97 fps : sound OK but video with heavy stuttering (not watchable).

The best configuration for me is Adjust display refresh rate to match video ON and NOT activate Sync playback to display (OFF).
I disabled as well VDPAU and XVBA hardware acceleration cause there are not useful on Intel NUC : only VAAPI is OK for Intel HD Graphics.
All 23,976, 25 and 29,97 fps video are smooth and audio is passthrough decoded by my A/V even DTS-HD Master. It seems that the small stuttering I usually get in some well know movies are gone since I deactivated Audiophile switch. I will see if I get some in my next watch.

So thanks for explanations that help me to choose the best configuration for now.
Don't invest too much time in Frodo. Frodo is not maintained anymore. I hope your NUC is a hsw Nuc.

Edit: Audiophile switch does absolutely nothing when the stream is already running. It mainly disabled gapless and openened a new sink on track change. This did not affect dvdplayer at all.
Edit2: Not related to your ancient Frodo installation: All advancedsettings concerning audio are _gone_ for gotham, so whenever you experience a problem with gotham and those settings you are hunting a phantom.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Here is a link to my xbmc.log.

I did notice something about xrandr, so I got that installed.
But no help getting any further there.
Not sure what you are doing. You use a fully outdated xbmc version on a highly advanced platform. Perhaps use something more easy for beginners.
Ok. I just see that 12.2-r1 is the current stable build on Gentoo.
12.3 is there, but needs to be unmasked. Which is why I thought I used emerge --autounmask, but apparently that does not do what I thought it would do.

I will work on getting 12.3 emerged.

Also, that I have only 2 posts (3 after this one) does not mean I am a beginner perse.
Yeah, no offense. I see that you have problems getting an Xserver with correct drivers up and running, therefore I thought something else might it make easier for you.
Well, Xserver runs fine, including OpenGL. It's just XBMC that doesn't detect the hardware.
But that might be related to version 12.2, hence I am now working on getting 12.3 emerged.
12.3 did not change anything in that relation. Check your glxinfo output.

Edit: It seems xbmc cannot connect to the Xserver at all, check that your systemd / init script is properly set up and starts the xserver accordingly.
Figured out what the problem was. Bit of a do'h moment.
Haven't used Linux with X in years, so I blame it one rust.

I was expecting xbmc to run from CLI and it would start X itself.
It does not.
Running it inside startx does make it run.

Now I just have some tweaking to do.
Running a 10 bit video isn't as smooth as it was running OpenElec.
No hick ups, just slower every few seconds, then back to full speed.

Also, sound is running Analog instead of through HDMI, even though I only use HDMI.
Sounds plays back properly. Bit loud, so need to adjust that as well.
Yes - your gentoo build does not have my multithreading patch for hi10p, which was backported to OpenELEC and is default in gotham ... it only uses one core ... Btw. gentoo builds with external ffmpeg and external libraries, both is not supported by Team xbmc.

In general I don't suggest running Frodo on new intel nucs.
(2014-03-01, 09:18)fritsch Wrote: Don't invest too much time in Frodo. Frodo is not maintained anymore. I hope your NUC is a hsw Nuc.

(2014-03-01, 14:31)fritsch Wrote: In general I don't suggest running Frodo on new intel nucs.

Yes, I have a D54250WYK i5 Haswell NUC. But Frodo is the last official stable version.

Do you think alpha Gotham is stable enough to use it ?
  • 157(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7