• 159(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
I have been on the autobahn but unfortunately it was with an econo car. Even good wireless gear is susceptible to interference from all sorts of things that will cause playback problems if one is streaming high bitrate BD level content. Running wires is not that hard.
(2014-03-01, 23:33)mathgeek97 Wrote: Speaking of shi**y wireless, I'm not too pleased with my Intel AC-7260 WiFi/BT card.
When I'm connecting via 802.11n (2.4GHz), everything works almost perfectly, with occasional buffering. I can almost live with that.
However, trying to use 802.11ac (5GHz) is not so nice. I connect, but the NUC will freeze up/stutter and I can't play videos. Is this a 7260 card problem? NUC problem? Openelec problem? Unknown problem?
With AC only being finally ratified in January 2014 - which was one month ago - you are an early adopter and kinks, that's what early adopters are for Wink.

802.11n over 2,4 GHz will still be pretty limited when it comes to throughput, you won't have support for the full 4x4:4 802.11n spec. Your router might do 3x3 (but it would need to be an expensive router to do that), but your NUC will probably do 2x2 only (if even that).

In theory, even 802.11n is plenty. But then again, it's wireless. Nobody ever said that was reliable.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
All

I have everything setup the way I want it with my i3 nuc (running windows 8.1 + XBMC 12.3) and harmony 650 remote except one nagging issue. I use an hdmi switch. In this switch, I have the nuc, my directv dvr and another media player (mede8er med1000x3d). The HDMI switch is auto-sensing so it normally switches inputs based on the signal it senses.

Now my problem. When I use the harmony remote to switch activities ( completely shut down the nuc and turn on the directv DVR) my switch doesn't appear to sense the nuc is no longer outputting a signal. It's as if the nuc is still outputting a signal even though it's off (not in sleep mode but off). If I turn off the TV and DVR it still does not sense the signal. The only to fix it is for me to manually go to the hdmi switch and select the proper input. My mede8er media player does not have this issue. It's as if it does a better job of announcing it's presence to the switch when I turn it on.

My question is, is this a problem with the nuc or maybe my switch. I didn't have this issue with my switch when it was just my DVR and my mede8er.
(2014-03-01, 21:48)fritsch Wrote: Don't build with --external-libraries and don't build with --external-ffmpeg - if you are building from source anyways use github.com/fernetmenta

This has ffmpeg 2.x included and does HEVC multithreaded.

Hey Fritsch, any chance you'd make a OpenElec build of your custom fork?
Nope, no plans to do so.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi everyone!

Just bought an i3 haswell NUC and waiting for delivery. I have red most of the thread but I still have some question remaining unanswered:
- I have a Yamaha receiver (RX A830) with the Yamaha universal remote. I've seen that someone made it work with OE, but was it out of the box or was it with a special program number?

- I am considering running OE as it is mainly for media streaming purpose, but I discovered CouchPotato stuff. If it's allowed to talk about that here, what would be the best environment for an xbmc + CouchP ? I was considering W8.1 but there may be a smplier way...

- I'm wondering if many use the CEC signal catcher dongle to use with the i3 NUC and xbmc. Does it really improve the experience as opposed to the IR remote? For info, I just own an android tablet (if need be) and no wireless keyboard.

- As I have a crappy TV (damn Philips), I'm considering to get a DVB-T usb dongle to watch direct tv. Any particular brand/model you recommend with the i3?

- I'm kind of lost between the xbmc releases and nuc compatibility... For a first time install with no power user stuff (no 24p, etc), can I leave the BIOS as OOTB and take the last stable OE release? I see many of you upgrading the BIOS and using nightly builds, but I'm not sure I'll be able to do as you all...

And as it is my first post, I'd like to thank all the people providing info here to help other people (like me ^^).
@fritsch

Could I pull the SWcodec diff and lib/ffmpeg from fernetmenta branch and build it into Gotham beta 1?
Hello,

Poor form to ask the same question twice but i noticed this thread is well populated and i'm hoping to get an answer quickly as there is limited stock in the UK.

I have an HTPC (er1401) but it is wheezing and stuttering when playing HD content. I am interested in a Haswell Nuc,
I would like to install windows 7 to maximise my streaming options, play some steam indie games (FTL, spelunky etc) and mess around with a bit of emulation. I'm not concerned about 4k streaming isn't on my agenda for now but it would be nice to know it's a option.

With these requirements in mind, would the i3 version suffice or is it worth shelling out for the i5?

Thanks in advance.
@arokh:

Think for one moment quite sane :-) What do you think is beta 1 compared to fernetmenta's master? Yeah you thought right, it's fernetmenta's master + exactly one commit: "Version = beta" .... So just build what works.

Edit: https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/commits/gotham
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I made a Battery Cable reset now and my Powerbutton works again but i get a new Problem.
Now i cannot start the Nuc with my IR Remote, after i boot it with Power Button, IR works well.

Cant find any solution in Bios IR is active

msata inside, no usb sticks
(2014-03-04, 23:04)Aquila Wrote: I made a Battery Cable reset now and my Powerbutton works again but i get a new Problem.
Now i cannot start the Nuc with my IR Remote, after i boot it with Power Button, IR works well.

Cant find any solution in Bios IR is active

msata inside, no usb sticks

For me power on with remote (harmony touch) also stopped working. It worked fine a couple openelec/bios/harmony versions ago. It suddenly stopped working. Don't know if it's openelec or bios or something logitech changed in the harmony software/ added device. I can turn it off, but can't turn it on.

I tried bios 23 again en checked all settings, but nothing works. Before power on and off worked fine out of the box.
(2014-03-04, 21:14)callmepaul Wrote: I would like to install windows 7 to maximise my streaming options, play some steam indie games (FTL, spelunky etc) and mess around with a bit of emulation. I'm not concerned about 4k streaming isn't on my agenda for now but it would be nice to know it's a option.

Can't speak from personal experience with the i3, but if you intend to play some games and are interested in keeping future options open, pay a bit more for an i5 now (I did). Dunno if you're recycling a license, but Windows 8 is the only way to have super-HD netflix streaming, and presumably the only way to get 4k streaming in the future. It's relatively easy to undo the Microsoft's disastrous UI decisions and make the OS usable. Unfortunately, Intel screwed up the Win8 driver, so HD audio doesn't work with the metro Netflix app and isn't close to a solution.Sad This ticks me off doubly because Netflix is the only reason I didn't go linux.
Hi all,

I've recently purchased a Dn2820 and am not very happy with the unit. Xbmc menu navigation is quite sluggish, and not all 1080p files play without issue (jerking, tearing, slowdown, etc). I've unloaded it onto a family member that doesn't go past 720p, so that's ok.

I'm now considering an i3 D34010WYK with a 30gb msata drive + 2gb ram to run openelec, possibly i5.

1. Will this play all 1080p (12-15gb files) without issue?
2. What is menu navigation and general xbmc usage like? I'm currently running xbmc on a quad core i7 Mac mini, and it is smoother than butter - I love it.
3. Can the i3 handle heavy skins with ease, or is there noticeable slowness of any sort? I'm pretty picky about this stuff.

The other option is the i5 which i believe will be fine, and run xbmc interface with heavy skins (ala aeOn nox ). . I have no interest in 4k video at this time.

i3 or i5 ultimately. What do you guys think?

Cheers,
bc.
(2014-03-03, 23:15)ikecomp Wrote: All

I have everything setup the way I want it with my i3 nuc (running windows 8.1 + XBMC 12.3) and harmony 650 remote except one nagging issue. I use an hdmi switch. In this switch, I have the nuc, my directv dvr and another media player (mede8er med1000x3d). The HDMI switch is auto-sensing so it normally switches inputs based on the signal it senses.

Now my problem. When I use the harmony remote to switch activities ( completely shut down the nuc and turn on the directv DVR) my switch doesn't appear to sense the nuc is no longer outputting a signal. It's as if the nuc is still outputting a signal even though it's off (not in sleep mode but off). If I turn off the TV and DVR it still does not sense the signal. The only to fix it is for me to manually go to the hdmi switch and select the proper input. My mede8er media player does not have this issue. It's as if it does a better job of announcing it's presence to the switch when I turn it on.

My question is, is this a problem with the nuc or maybe my switch. I didn't have this issue with my switch when it was just my DVR and my mede8er.

While I didn't find a real fix I found a great workaround. I taught my harmony remote the input selector buttons from my hdmi switch remote. I then customized the activity that turns on the dvr and added a new step for it execute input command from the hdmi switch remote. Everything works seamlessly now.
(2014-03-05, 04:27)bogchop Wrote: 1. Will this play all 1080p (12-15gb files) without issue?

File size is irrelevant. Bitrate is what you should be asking about.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 159(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7