• 161(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Excellent, looks as if the i3 is the way to go. I'm very particular about the fluidity of interfaces, and would be disappointed if the i3 was only average.

One last thing, I've been reading about this FPS bug that the haswells seem to have. How does this translate in the real world? Will it impede playback in any way that is intrusive?
(2014-03-05, 20:51)yuyak Wrote: I was debating between the D34010WYK and the DN2820FYK but ultimately went with the i3. After reading your post, I'm really glad I did. I'm running XBMC w/ aeon nox skin (win8.1 w/ 2x2gb RAM) and the menu navigation is fine. This is the first time I'm using this skin, so I don't know how it compares to other systems, but seems very smooth to me. I'm running 1080p bluray rip mkvs off a NAS (Synology 214SE) through a gigabit router and the movies play perfectly.

Good to hear about the playback. I can't stress how fussy I am about the fluidity of navigation. If there's even a hint of slowdown (pre/post menu navigation jitter/delay), it will just drive me insane. I probably have a bout of OCD Smile.

I suppose another good question to ask is what can the i5 do properly that the i3 cannot?
@fritsch

Thx for the tip, now playing h265 hevc perfectly on my nuc Smile About 40-50% load on each cpu during heavy scenes. Great quality!
Anyone running Linux on a Haswell NUC?
When I do a 'speaker test' with the output set to hdmi 5.1, it does not work properly
Both Front & Rear from each respective side point actually drive the respective side front speaker only and further the sound is garbled.
the sub does not play anything, nor does the center.

It will pass through 2 channel (with hdmi internal audio selected) and output surround sound clearly but will not feed 5.1 audio directly - or to individual speakers from the test screen on the PC

My config is from the NUC to the TV and then by opto from TB to the Amp (my Amp has no HDMI connections)

So - for anyone who has Linux installed - with output directly via HDMI to amp, does it process each of the 5.1 speakers correctly when tested?
what makes you think your TV sends 5.1 channels sent to it over HDMI, out the optical SPDIF to your receiver? optical can only carry 2 channel anyway if it's uncompressed PCM and if it's dolby digital etc, TVs dont normally send that out the optical output unless its come from their builtin tuner (not from external HDMI inputs). unless your TV is special?
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
Yep most TVs do not pass multi channel out of their S/PDIF ports. Some do. Read it's manual.

Best option may be a HDMI-S/PDIF convertor between the Computer and the TV.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
It is a Sony W802A - it's optical output spec says - 2-ch Linear PCM; Dolby Digital
When I play a Netflix video (from the embedded capability in the TV) encoded with 5.1 sound, the Amp immediately switches to 5.1 channel Dolby Digital and shows all 6 inputs accordingly
(i.e. LF, C, RF, LR, RR, Sub). This is same as if I play from DVD or if there is 5.1 track on the receiver
With other source videos (or TV) it only shows the 2 channel inputs L & R

Also - my DirecTV receiver has optical into the Amp;
It additionally has HDMI into the TV; (and the TV is then output back into the Amp on another channel)
So I can play the DTV audio either directly through the input channel directly from the receiver, or via the TV and back in through another channel.
- regardless of whether I select the audio input from the Receiver directly, or via the TV (the HDMI in -> Optical Out) then the receiver successfully shows 5.1 channels INPUTS and switches to DOLBY Digital and outputs accordingly.
I still suspect that only encoded audio from onboard the TV (eg builtin tuner, builtin smart TV apps) would be bitstreamed out the optical output. Encoded audio (eg DD5.1) input over HDMI would be decoded by the TV and its not going to re-encode it to DD5.1 to output it. Or potentially your linux system was inputting multi channel PCM over HDMI and not encoded DD etc anyway? In which case the TV isnt going to encode that MPCM as Dolby Digitial or whatever, and the full uncoimpressed PCM cant be carried by optical (only 2 channels can)
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
Has anyone got any remotes working with the Haswell NUC under windows 8.1?
I have installed the CIR drivers, but the NUC refuses to recognize any presses in the remote button.

I am using the Xbox 360 Media Remote (Black):
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox360/Access...ediaRemote

It does not work in xbmc; or in windows.
(2014-03-06, 06:20)scarecrow420 Wrote: I still suspect that only encoded audio from onboard the TV (eg builtin tuner, builtin smart TV apps) would be bitstreamed out the optical output. Encoded audio (eg DD5.1) input over HDMI would be decoded by the TV and its not going to re-encode it to DD5.1 to output it. Or potentially your linux system was inputting multi channel PCM over HDMI and not encoded DD etc anyway? In which case the TV isnt going to encode that MPCM as Dolby Digitial or whatever, and the full uncoimpressed PCM cant be carried by optical (only 2 channels can)

xbmc can do that, setting: "Enable Dolby Digital Transcoding".
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi,

I'm reading this thread for some time, but it's hard to follow the whole 160 pages ^^. Currently I am thinking about buying a NUC for using it as a HTPC with ubuntu+xbmc or openelec. I want to install a dvb-s2 usb receiver and a tvheadend server with oscam. So far so good ^^

What makes me reluctant is the ongoing (?) picture quality issue. I've read that people are not pleased with the picture quality of the NUC. Has this problem been fixed? Currently I am using a Dreambox DM800 and I do not want to make a step back in picture quality.

greetz
Michael
(2014-03-06, 09:30)fritsch Wrote: xbmc can do that, setting: "Enable Dolby Digital Transcoding".

Where is that option please? Is this available in Gotham?
(2014-03-06, 10:39)chaos2oo2 Wrote: Hi,

I'm reading this thread for some time, but it's hard to follow the whole 160 pages ^^. Currently I am thinking about buying a NUC for using it as a HTPC with ubuntu+xbmc or openelec. I want to install a dvb-s2 usb receiver and a tvheadend server with oscam. So far so good ^^

What makes me reluctant is the ongoing (?) picture quality issue. I've read that people are not pleased with the picture quality of the NUC. Has this problem been fixed? Currently I am using a Dreambox DM800 and I do not want to make a step back in picture quality.

greetz
Michael

I'm currently using an Amiko Alien with Enigma2 as a backend for my D54250WYK running Windows 8.1 with the VU+/Enigma2 client. After much tweaking and twiddling driver settings etc on the NUC , LG-42LD450 via Yamaha RX-V367 I actually wiped everithing, unplugged, and reinstalled Windows 8.1 with default driver settings. The picture quality is identical to the Sat tuner.

(I love the fact that my Sat tuner sits there in standby mode, whoever is watching in the living room with the TV and remote is happy, but anyone else can watch on laptop, tablet, notebooks etc with XBMC installed in other rooms. I can even keep an eye on the rugby on my laptop with the sound muted on my lap while the WAF are watching something on the large screen. :-) )

I'd love to hear peoples experiences with a DVB-S2 usb receiver - which one were you planning to use?
I'd try the PCTV DVB-S2 Stick 461e...unfortunately linux support requires kernel 3.14.

what about the picture quality using openelec or ubuntu with xbmc? I think the drivers from Intel will work better using Windows but I'd prefer a linux setup (running both xbmc and tvheadend backend on the same machine - an i3 nuc - with oscam and a smargo for my sky membership)
(2014-03-05, 20:59)dr.sah Wrote: Did you enable DXVA2 hardware accerelation or not?
Have i5 nuc, and works better with OFF, that is strange.

Which xbmc are you using ? Windows ? Openelec ?

On my own using openelec and using only vaapi acceleration that is made for Intel gpu like HD graphics we have on our nuc.

With this, h264 video are well displayed without stuttering and with only 2 or 3 % of CPU.
  • 161(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7