• 169(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Tongue 
(2014-03-14, 10:17)Dybro Wrote: ....The reason I am in doubt is to save a few bucks. But also because I have a thing where I buy hardware way to powerful for what I actually need, because I get "greedy" and think "for just a little more, I get a better CPU", but if you take a little more, a lot of times, it adds up ;-)

I'm aligned with you on the 'for just a few dollars more ......' but then 'it all adds up'.
That is exactly why I used the Linux solutions - even with the i5, I still was about $75 less than would have been with i3 and Windows 8.1.
Truth be told I probably did not need the i5 either - but by eliminating the Windows OS, put the savings into the higher spec hardware
(you never know what is around the corner so having the higher specs can't hurt)
And once I recover from the initial cost outlay Confused I am committed to put the rest of the savings into donations for these fine developers - not least, this great team at XBMC!
I just bought the XBMC TEE but plan to contribute more.
(Much rather give them the money than Microsoft!!)

(2014-03-14, 10:17)Dybro Wrote: .... I tried Ubuntu with (I think it was called) Moonlight, which also should be able to run Silverlight, but I couldn't make it work, why I haven't really considered it.

Moonlight was intended to be a Silverlight replacement plug-in, as opposed to Pipelight, which is a conduit allowing Silverlight to run.
Pipelight definitely works.
Also, Linux Mint is Ubuntu based - but the User Interface (desktop) is much more user friendly than Unity.
As I suggest, spend a little while trying out the combo on a 'live' Mint stick and see how it works for you before you make a final decision.
Anyone got a good xorg.conf for the nuc?

I got banding issues with samsung led tv even when using 16-235 setting in gotham
(2014-03-14, 18:56)xayide Wrote: Anyone got a good xorg.conf for the nuc?

I got banding issues with samsung led tv even when using 16-235 setting in gotham

I believe that if you look back through posts on this (try searching the thread for colorspace maybe) you will see that using a custom xorg.conf should no longer be necessary for that problem. You should be able to set the color-space option through XBMC itself.
I'm trying to setup NextPVR to use with XBMC and having trouble (win 8.1 setup on D34010 + HDHomerunPrime). I guess I need a video/audio decoder - I tried to CCCP codec pack but still just get a blank black screen. Anyone have any luck? Any suggestions for a good set decoders that work well on the NUC? Or any other PVR setup for XBMC on win8.1?
Xbmc does not use external codecs.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-03-14, 20:29)yuyak Wrote: I'm trying to setup NextPVR to use with XBMC and having trouble (win 8.1 setup on D34010 + HDHomerunPrime). I guess I need a video/audio decoder - I tried to CCCP codec pack but still just get a blank black screen. Anyone have any luck? Any suggestions for a good set decoders that work well on the NUC? Or any other PVR setup for XBMC on win8.1?

I installed MadVR. There's also PDVD12 available here: http://shark007.net/

I'm assuming you're talking about the blackscreen in the HDhomerun app. Same thing happened to me, I assumed came with an MPEG2 decoder built-in, like previous versions. I also have the HDHomerun/Nextpvr and Win8, so once you have it setup it works nicely. The secret is you want to watch recorded TV shows through the file option in XBMC, because that's the only way (as far as I know) to watch commercial-free with comskip. I don't know if that's different in Gotham or not.
(2014-02-13, 05:08)bustamelon Wrote:
(2014-02-12, 23:30)bukhlef Wrote: Ok this is noobish i know, but i really don't know how to execute these two commands, i already connected to my NUC via SSH but what shall i do to execute these commands after i pasted them in SSH window >.> i even tried ExtraPutty still same thing nothing happens

Do these one line at a time, hitting ENTER after each:

Code:
cd /storage/.config
touch autostart.sh
chmod +x autostart.sh
nano autostart.sh

Now you should be in the nano app. It's a text editor. You're editing the autostart file to have the following content, which you can paste in a block, all at once:

Code:
# IR fix
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > /sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530\:00/physical_node/resources
modprobe nuvoton-cir

After you've done that, save the file. If you press Ctrl-X, for exit, it will ask you whether you want to save the file. Ctrl-O is for saving file without exiting the editor. Ctrl-G is for help on key combinations.

Once you've saved autostart.sh, reboot the NUC, and you should be good to go.

Could someone help me with getting this to work in XBMCbuntu?
New BIOS out, 0025. Anyone keen to try it? I'm hesitant since the last one broke more than it fixed.

Release notes:

About This Release:
* Date: March 4, 2014
* ME Firmware: 9.5.13.1706
* Integrated Graphics
Option ROM: Build 2179 PC 14.34
UEFI Driver: 5.0.1036
* LAN Option ROM: v1543 PXE 2.1 Build 092
* SATA RAID Option ROM: 12.7.0.1936
* EFI driver (GOP): 5.0.1036
* Visual BIOS: 2.2.4

New Fixes/Features:
* Improved EFI variable protection for Setup variable.
* Fixed issue where UEFI operating system fails to install.
* Updated Visual BIOS to version 2.2.4.
* Updated message when no bootable device is found.
I am currently using build #r17710 and was contemplating upgrading to the 3.95.1 official Beta 1.0

any issues with stability on the official release on our machines? is the upgrade process the same - just drop the new files to the "Update" folder?
FW 25 changed NOTHING! I'm really mad!

I opened another thread in the intel communities.

Please tell them your opinion, or Intel won't change anything!

https://communities.intel.com/thread/49511
Haswell Nuc i5 - Abel H2 case - 8GB RAM (Crucial) - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - Win 8.1 - XBMC 13 Beta 1 - Aeon MQ 5 - Harmony 600
Dreambox 7020HD - Sundtek DVB-S2 + C
(2014-03-14, 20:29)yuyak Wrote: I'm trying to setup NextPVR to use with XBMC and having trouble (win 8.1 setup on D34010 + HDHomerunPrime). I guess I need a video/audio decoder - I tried to CCCP codec pack but still just get a blank black screen. Anyone have any luck? Any suggestions for a good set decoders that work well on the NUC? Or any other PVR setup for XBMC on win8.1?

If you are on windows then you can run WMC 9yes on win 8 you do have to pay to enable it which kinda sux) then use our ServerWMC backend, it works quite well (IMO but im biased being one of the developers!). Check out our subforum in the PVR section of the XBMC forum if you want more help or information etc
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
(2014-02-22, 06:04)millercentral Wrote:
(2014-02-21, 07:27)Wingfat Wrote: Does anyone know if the newly announced Xbox One Media Remote will be compatible with the NUC? Will it use the same codes as the Microsoft Media Center remotes?
http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-576191...ft-to-sell-$25-xbox-one-media-remote-in-march/

No it is not the same remote codes, or even the same protocol (MCE is RC6, the Xbox One remote is nec1 protocol).

Hi ! Is it possible to make the nuvoton CIR working with the xbox one remote ?
(2014-03-15, 03:05)Taxcheat Wrote:

I installed MadVR. There's also PDVD12 available here: http://shark007.net/

I'm assuming you're talking about the blackscreen in the HDhomerun app. Same thing happened to me, I assumed came with an MPEG2 decoder built-in, like previous versions. I also have the HDHomerun/Nextpvr and Win8, so once you have it setup it works nicely. The secret is you want to watch recorded TV shows through the file option in XBMC, because that's the only way (as far as I know) to watch commercial-free with comskip. I don't know if that's different in Gotham or not.

Thanks for the tips! That's exactly what I want to do. I have liveTV working through HDHomerun app (quickTV) and WMC, but I wanted to watch everything through XBMC so 1) my wife can access all media (bluray backups, live tv, recorded tv, etc) from one app, and 2) because of add ons like comskip. It's just in the NextPVR app that I get the black screen when I try the liveTV option. From reading various forums, it sounds like it's a decoder and/or renderer issue. I'll take a look at those options.

(2014-03-15, 14:40)scarecrow420 Wrote:

If you are on windows then you can run WMC 9yes on win 8 you do have to pay to enable it which kinda sux) then use our ServerWMC backend, it works quite well (IMO but im biased being one of the developers!). Check out our subforum in the PVR section of the XBMC forum if you want more help or information etc
So I already have WMC enabled: I got a few extra WMC upgrade keys when they were giving it away for free right after Win8 launch. They were supposed to expire, but I tried it just for the hell of it, and it work!

I tried using ServerWMC a year or so ago on a different machine and I had some issues with it - changing channels were painfully slow - so I abandoned that. I'm sure I probably didn't set it up right, but I've read enough good things about NextPVR that I thought I'd try there first this time. If I can't get NextPVR up and running soon, I'll revisit ServerWMC. Thanks!!
(2014-03-15, 13:36)micoba Wrote: FW 25 changed NOTHING! I'm really mad!

Both 24 and 25 work fine for me booting from USB sticks and Blu-Ray player.
And I suspect most other people too who use OpenElec from stick.
So it's your problem.
(2014-03-15, 18:45)weust Wrote:
(2014-03-15, 13:36)micoba Wrote: FW 25 changed NOTHING! I'm really mad!

Both 24 and 25 work fine for me booting from USB sticks and Blu-Ray player.
And I suspect most other people too who use OpenElec from stick.
So it's your problem.

yeah, i have never had a problem booting from USB, WIN 8.1, WIN 7, UBUNTU, OE, XBMCBUNTU. I boot all them from USB.

Never had a big problem at all since i got my NUC I3.
  • 169(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7