• 173(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
There is no build - wait or build yourself or use something else (the ppa I told). Btw. this knowledge is not new - it was discussed at least two times in this thread.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
trsqr - I just got my NUC a couple of weeks back and cannot get the PCTV 290e to be even recognised by tvheadend. It shows up when I run 'lsusb' at the command prompt but it will not show up as a device in tvheadend when i goto the configuration web page. What setup are you running there with your PCTV 290e if you do not mind me asking?

Thanks!

(2014-03-14, 11:08)trsqr Wrote: Thanks, good to know. I tried MediaPortal in Windows and that seems to work ok, no pixelation whatever I do. Also tried to another fresh Ubuntu Linux setup with 3.14 kernel and VDR, but no luck there either - picture gets pixelated when I open the menus or ever bring up the channel list on top of the live tv video. I still only got one tuner (PCTV 290e) so I haven't tried any other tuners - I ordered one August T210 (cheap DVB-T2 tuner) to try. That should be supported in 3.14 kernel. I've got a PCTV 461e as well, but haven't set up the dish yet.

I've been trying to play around with BIOS settings as well, but no luck there either.

It came to my mind that could it be that the PCTV 290e tuner is pulling too much power from the bus and for some reason the NUC wouldn't be able to provide that in certain cases. Shouldn't be, but will try with a powered USB hub between the NUC and tuner just to exclude the possibility...
(2014-03-19, 17:34)nucduck Wrote: trsqr - I just got my NUC a couple of weeks back and cannot get the PCTV 290e to be even recognised by tvheadend. It shows up when I run 'lsusb' at the command prompt but it will not show up as a device in tvheadend when i goto the configuration web page. What setup are you running there with your PCTV 290e if you do not mind me asking?

Are you using OE or some other Linux? Which version? At least all of the OE releases I've tried have supported it directly out of the box. If you have some flavor of Linux, make sure that tvheadend is able to read the device /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 (dirty way is to chmod 777 that file).

One thing you can try is to delay the start of tvheadend if you're starting it when booting the system.
I'm using OE (Generic.x86_64-3.95.2)

I've tried restarting tvheadend via SSH but to no avail. I also just tried plugging the stick in my powered USB hub in case there was some lack of power there. And have just flashed the latest BIOS firmware on the NUC. No difference with that either.

I've got an old ASUS USB TV stick which works fine (SD only, hence the new stick!)
(2014-03-19, 20:09)nucduck Wrote: I'm using OE (Generic.x86_64-3.95.2)

I've tried restarting tvheadend via SSH but to no avail. I also just tried plugging the stick in my powered USB hub in case there was some lack of power there. And have just flashed the latest BIOS firmware on the NUC. No difference with that either.

I've got an old ASUS USB TV stick which works fine (SD only, hence the new stick!)

Strange, I got the same OE version, an i3 NUC and the same PCTV 290e stick and it works out of the box. Can you run "journalctl --no-pager -b -0 | pastebinit" to get the syslog and send the link?

I did not notice any difference whether the stick was plugged in directly or in the hub.

lsusb for me shows:
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 2013:024f PCTV Systems nanoStick T2 290e

In case you want to compare the syslog, my output is here: http://sprunge.us/SXeQ
Thanks a lot. Here is the link:
http://sprunge.us/eWZA

lsusb shows:
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 2013:025f PCTV Systems
(2014-03-19, 21:51)nucduck Wrote: lsusb shows:
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 2013:025f PCTV Systems

Your device ID does not match the PCTV 290e I have! That must be the reason your adapter is not recognized and the drivers are not loaded. Are you sure your adapter is not the new PCTV 292e that looks exactly like the 290e, but might be internally different? Another possibility is there's a new version of the 290e with different internals… You could try to talk with Antti, who's very much involved in the driver development for PCTV devices ( http://palosaari.fi/linux/ ), maybe he knows something of that...
I was going to attach a photo of the box but have just found in very small print it says "model 292e" - although the listing on amazon was for the linux compatible 290e. I will contact the seller.

Many thanks for your valuable insight - and sorry for my blatant ignorance... lol
I was hoping to buy a second 290e - but had heard that the 292e was confusing things (and wasn't supported under Linux) so I'm holding fire for a little while. It's a pity that a Linux driver for the cheap T2 dongles now appearing on the market haven't appeared (but they appear also to have poor Windows drivers - without proper BDA support)
(2014-03-19, 22:05)nucduck Wrote: I was going to attach a photo of the box but have just found in very small print it says "model 292e" - although the listing on amazon was for the linux compatible 290e. I will contact the seller.

Many thanks for your valuable insight - and sorry for my blatant ignorance... lol

Ok, good that this was sorted out - no need to be sorry. It would be interesting to know which components (demodulator, tuner, etc) are used inside the 292e. Maybe the drivers for those components already exist, but the USB ID is not linked to any driver. Just out of interest, can you run lsusb -v and PM me the result? I'll add that to the LinuxTV.org wiki so others will be aware of the current state as well. Thanks!

(2014-03-20, 00:55)noggin Wrote: I was hoping to buy a second 290e - but had heard that the 292e was confusing things (and wasn't supported under Linux) so I'm holding fire for a little while. It's a pity that a Linux driver for the cheap T2 dongles now appearing on the market haven't appeared (but they appear also to have poor Windows drivers - without proper BDA support)

August T210 should be supported in kernel 3.14. I've ordered one from China, but it takes weeks to arrive... I don't know any other USB T2 tuners that do work with Linux.

I've got 2 290e tuners, and might be interested in selling one if the August one works ok...
Is this NUC Haswell thread?
Im currently experiencing troubles with DTS-MA rips.
Both in Beta 1 and Beta 2 (just updated). After resetting everything, one DTS-MA movie plays fine. Stopping the movie and starting another one results in no sound, stuttering. After that, no video is playable anymore.

(2014-03-20, 11:36)Peppin Wrote: Im currently experiencing troubles with DTS-MA rips.
Both in Beta 1 and Beta 2 (just updated). After resetting everything, one DTS-MA movie plays fine. Stopping the movie and starting another one results in no sound, stuttering. After that, no video is playable anymore.
Allright a quick fix, I had sync vid to display (Video Clock) on. Turned it off, no issues now. But I understood that having it on is best practice? Had it on since I got my NUC.
(2014-03-20, 11:36)Peppin Wrote: Im currently experiencing troubles with DTS-MA rips.

Allright a quick fix, I had sync vid to display (Video Clock) on. Turned it off, no issues now. But I understood that having it on is best practice? Had it on since I got my NUC.

I experienced EXACTLY the same thing, in the Beta´s is also the Vaapi software decoding option gone..?
I also hab to disable the sync. vid to display..now its running but as said still seeing artifacts and there is slight stutter for a second every now and then
while watching vc-1 content.
We are all happy, that your VC-1 issue which is long known in FFMPEG 1.2 fits to all other bugs users are reporting. It won't be fixed before ffmpeg is bumped - full stop. Now please stop riding other user's issues to spread your VC-1 issue.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
In all respect that you really helped me many, many times i think u are now reacting a bit cocky.
I just said that i expierienced the same issue but after turning sync. displ. to vid off everything was smooth again so i
did not made a extra post about it here. I´ll pm you, cant rly explain what i feel in english..but wtf ?!
  • 173(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7