• 180(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Hi!

As I am not able to ready all of the 179 pages in this forum, and I did not find anything with the search function I have to ask myself for help with my problem:
I bought a Intel NUC d34010wyk and installed openelec with xbmc 12.3 onto it. Remote works, everything seems to be fine. But after some checks I found out that the video quality is not as good as I did expect. Before I bought the NUC I had my SAMSUNG UE55D8090 connected to a DNLA media server. The video quality with the DNLA server was simply better than with the NUC XBMC. On the NUC everything is a lot more grainy and the faces seem to be "oversharp".

Anyone an idea how to resolve this behaviour?

Thanks,
Chris
(2014-04-01, 20:07)elftor Wrote: Hi!

As I am not able to ready all of the 179 pages in this forum, and I did not find anything with the search function I have to ask myself for help with my problem:
I bought a Intel NUC d34010wyk and installed openelec with xbmc 12.3 onto it. Remote works, everything seems to be fine. But after some checks I found out that the video quality is not as good as I did expect. Before I bought the NUC I had my SAMSUNG UE55D8090 connected to a DNLA media server. The video quality with the DNLA server was simply better than with the NUC XBMC. On the NUC everything is a lot more grainy and the faces seem to be "oversharp".

Thanks,
Chris

Check that your TV isn't sharpening the image. I can't speak for your particular Samsung TV but the (three) Samsung TVs I have all apply sharpening by default which looks rubbish when attached to a PC-like device and needs to be turned down to zero.
(2014-04-01, 15:29)trsqr Wrote:
(2014-04-01, 02:24)snapsnail Wrote: I purchased a Haswell Nuc (D34010WYK) and played around with it all weekend. However I can't help but notice that the sound pops every once and a while when navigating xbmc menus or starting/ending a video.

Same NUC, same pops (esp. when changing video resolution or when the NUC has been idle for a while and then starting to navigate the menus). No solution, sorry.

I have the same nuc except the H version with the additional height for a 2.5" drive. At any rate, I experienced the same popping but it was the result of my HDMI switch. I didn't encounter this when connected directly to my tv. I also didn't encounter the problem when I switched it out with a new cheap switch.
(2014-04-01, 20:15)twelvebore Wrote:
(2014-04-01, 20:07)elftor Wrote: Hi!

Thanks,
Chris

Check that your TV isn't sharpening the image. I can't speak for your particular Samsung TV but the (three) Samsung TVs I have all apply sharpening by default which looks rubbish when attached to a PC-like device and needs to be turned down to zero.

YIPPEE!!! amazing - that did the trick!
Thanks a lot!
I purchased a new Intel NUC D54250WYK. I installed 8gb of 1600 ram and 120gb SMATA. Installed Windows 8.1 x64. At this time I really like it. I haven't got to mess with it to much due to work. I am planning on running xbmc and using external player to play back all my BD and 3d BD .iso files.
To all who lost "power on" functionality via MCE-remote from full off state for their haswell NUC: (I have a D54250WYKH)

This solution worked for me:

Instead of openelec i temporarily installed Windows 8.1 to the internal 2,5" SATA drive - installed chipset driver, graphics driver (both maybe not necessary, downloaded from intel), rebooted windows, then installed CIR Nuvoton (infrared) driver (also downloaded from Intel), rebooted again back to windows and then shutdown windows.

After that my IR-port is able again to power on the NUC via MCE-remote from FULL OFF STATE - even after completely removing the power supply for some minutes and removing the windows installation. I now use OpenELEC again and it works! No Windows left...

I know it's strange, but the infrared driver under windows seems the only way to "reinitialize" the IR-port for powering on the device after that function got lost after a hard/cmos reset. The installed Nuvoton IR-driver in Windows seems to set a permanent flag for the IR-port or something similar. Hard to believe but for me a total success.

I got the idea reading the last post here:
communities.intel.com/message/195673

Maybe it helps.

Greets
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)
Gonna order the i5 soon. Can anyone suggest some good ram. Not sure what kind to look for. Sorry 'Ram' is too short to search in here and there are too many pages to go through.

Oh, one other question. If I order the tall one I can put a msata drive and a 2.5-inch drive.... or can I only put in a 2.5"?
(2014-04-02, 00:32)ThaDraGun Wrote: Gonna order the i5 soon. Can anyone suggest some good ram. Not sure what kind to look for. Sorry 'Ram' is too short to search in here and there are too many pages to go through.

I got 1 stick of this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DSGL...UTF8&psc=1
Crucial SO-DIMM 8GB, DDR3L-1600, CL11 (CT102464BF160B)
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)
Those are both close in price. Looks like the first is better tho so I'll order that.
Thanks
(2014-04-02, 00:32)ThaDraGun Wrote: Sorry 'Ram' is too short to search in here and there are too many pages to go through.
Search on google with a search like
Code:
ram nuc site:forum.xbmc.org
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-04-01, 18:31)westcoastbias Wrote: So I have a remote problem.

I have the D54250WYK and have updated the bios to the 3/3/14 one and ensured that within the bios the CIR is enabled.

I am trying Ubuntu 13.10 and have installed LIRC. I have even run this in the console as root:

#!/bin/sh
modprobe -r nuvoton-cir
echo "auto" > "/sys/bus/acpi/devices/NTN0530:00/physical_node/resources"
modprobe nuvoton-cir

I know some people have reported that after running that they can run the lsw command in the console and then see the remote pushes, I however cannot.

Any suggestions on what I could be missing?

So to elaborate. After I run those commands here is the output via dmesg

http://imgur.com/GAyUzhb

Is the wireless keyboard somehow interfering with other devices somehow? I have tried other remotes too and its not picking up anything....
Hello, I have a D54250WYK1 with 3/3/2014 BIOS update. I'm trying to install Ubuntu minimal 13.10 but i'm having an issue when the install reaches the DHCP config. The installer is unable to configure the NIC. Manually inputting the network settings also does not work. Problem seems to be the e1000e driver that's loaded. I've seen reports of full desktop ISO working. Is anyone else having this problem and is there a fix/workaround? If not i might try and remaster the mini.iso to include the driver from the the full desktop ISO.
Hi all, just adding my experience to the thread.

I purchased a Haswell I3 NUC D34010WYK, 4GB kingston memory and a 64GB mSata SSD.

My Rii wireless keyboard/mouse had no troubles entering BIOS with F2 (I thought it may not have worked so had a USB wired keyboard on hand in case, so was pleasantly surprised)

I then updated BIOS to 0025 version from a USB stick within BIOS, then installed Windows 8.1 Pro x64 from a bootable USB stick I made from the ISO.

Downloaded the driver pack from Intel site (great to see them provide a single download pack of all the latest drivers rather than having to download 10 things myself!) and then installed the chipset, audio, video and IR drivers. Put XBMC Frodo 12.3 on, copied my AdvancedSettings and KeyMap files from my existing HTPC and everything is up and running sweet with no issues. Running miniDP to HDMI adapter, HDMI cable to my Onkyo TX-SR705 and then onto my Samsung LCD (soon to be a Panasonic VT60 plasma).

Everything was super easy and smooth with no issues encountered as yet. Logitech Harmony remote working fine with the inbuilt IR. I am still yet to play with power on/off from the remote as I normally leave my HTPC on, and I have yet to test HD audio or 24p content. But generally everything is just the same as my old HTPC and "working" such that the family do not notice any difference in the change over. So far so good!
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
Hi
Here is my log file :
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=164310#
Please forgive me, I've used OSX for 20 years but this is a whole new world for me!
I setup my i5 D54250WYB yesterday and put the latest generic nightly build on. I also updated the BIOS from version 18 to 25.
I calibrated the video in the video output settings but when I watch some movies, the screen zooms in way too much, the on screen controls are half lost at the bottom of the screen.
When I exit the movie, the screen goes back to being properly calibrated.
I have the refresh rate set to 23.98 Hz and Vertical Blank Sync disabled.
I also have the limit colour range to 16-235 checked
Under the "Video/Playback| settings I have "Adjust refresh rate to match video set to "On Start/Stop" and I've tried setting "sync playback to display" with video clock drop/dupe audio both on and off (Not sure what I'm meant to have it set to?)
The i5 is connected directly to my Panasonic LCD via HDMI

I did the "xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" "Full" command via SSH with OSX terminal - again, I'm not sure if that's needed with the latest Gotham Open Elec betas?

Overall, I have to say that compared to my previous experience with other XBMC installs on other machines, this Open Elec software is AMAZING! Thanks very much to all the developers who have put so much time in to making such a great piece of work.

So, if anyone could advise me on why I'm getting zoomed in movies with my resolution at 1920x1080p at 23.98 Hz and also the other optimum settings (Vertical Blank Sync checked or not, Sync Playback to Display checked or not with video clock , or video clock drop/dupe audio?) I'd be a very happy new NUC user!

Now I'm going to look up how to get an Apple Tv remote to work....

Cheers

I just saw this post a few pages back :
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1660213

I wonder if that might be something to do with why I'm getting zoomed in movies?
  • 180(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7