• 208(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
I will come with more info as soon as i get back to my test environment. Blush Will retry with mjpeg, too.
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)
(2014-05-10, 14:17)fritsch Wrote: Could you try with a capable OS? E.g. boot with OpenELEC? And see if something changes. While having the correct settings, please post: /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc-xrandr | pastebinit.

Most TVs just show 24 - xbmc-xrandr can tell the fractional value.

Apparently the issue was my Sony TV. For some reason it lags @ 24p, unless I switch it to either Game or Graphics modes.
Have nuc i5 with win8.1 and Gotham xbmc. I've noticed that the sound goes out of sync quite often. Anything I can try to stop it?
(2014-05-12, 23:39)ThaDraGun Wrote: Have nuc i5 with win8.1 and Gotham xbmc. I've noticed that the sound goes out of sync quite often. Anything I can try to stop it?

Well, Windows is a lot more complicated with more variables that can affect things.

I would say you should boot up the OpenElec 4.0 build from a thumb drive and see if the problem persists there... that would at least tell you if this is possibly OS/driver related.
(2014-05-04, 11:24)larryadd Wrote: To all with the i3 nuc : D34010WYK

I need some feedback about the last openelec beta release.
There is a nuvotron patch on it :
Quote:linux: add patch to enable Nuvoton CIR driver on probing, see https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/22339/

did it worked for any of you ? were you able to control xbmc with your remote without the autostart.sh nuvotron fix installed Huh

thx!
I assume the i3 and i5 NUCs are identical wrt the CIR. On my i5 it's still not working.

Code:
[    2.830965] nuvoton-cir 00:08: [io  0x0240-0x024f]
[    2.830977] nuvoton-cir 00:08: unable to assign resources
[    2.830979] nuvoton-cir 00:08: Could not activate PNP device!
(2014-05-12, 11:02)bogchop Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 10:54)axbmcuser Wrote: as long as i don't remove the bios battery again

As I said, workaround. Don't kid yourself, it's not permanently fixed, and is clearly a defect. One day when your battery runs out, you'll need to reinstall windows/drivers to 'reinitialise' the IRQ stuff (which seems to be the problem) at the bios level, and then you'll get your functionality back.

On that alone, I will not be buying any further NUCs (especially for family) if I'm going to have to deal with issues like this. It needs to work out of the box, which it doesn't.

I've already escalated the problem with detailed test results to Intel support, and they're fully aware, saying that multiple people have this issue.

My MCE remote powers my i3 Haswell NUC without issue and without having to install Windows in order to then install a driver. I got the NUC new at MicroCenter, and the first thing I did was install the beta BIOS. I then tried OpenELEC (Gotham B4, IIRC) on a thumbdrive and powering on and off with the remote worked. I then installed Ubuntu Server (similar to minimal install) and a barebones install of XBMC. I still have do the workaround of unloading the driver, adding "auto", and then reloading the driver when I boot, but it works nonetheless.
Has anyone seen a vesa bracket for purchase, for the nuc that would allow both nuc-vesa and wall-vesa mount to attach to the monitor such as this link?

http://www.ieci.com.au/products/product_...-C5MK-VESA

Love the nuc i3
I'm also considering an Intel NUC more precisely the D54250WYK but only if its possible for the Intel IGP Hardware decoder to render 3840x1080 and 1920x2160 video. Since as far as I know using 3DAVC/MVC with linux/OpenElec currently, framepacking is I believe not an option as well. Wbhat are the experience with FullHD 3D resolution on Intel NUC hardware?

Or I wait for the Intel Broadwell NUC at the end of the year...?
http://wccftech.com/intel-nuc-roadmap-le...ming-2015/
@fritsch

The black level jpg has been encoded in a video file with specs: 1920x1080 h264 rec.709 color scheme, very high CBR. According to my reading and tests this should be equal to typical video content which is used with media players.

Do you have a recommendation regarding simple mjpeg encoding?
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)
@axbmcuser:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YUV#BT.709_and_BT.601

Do the conversion for 255 255 255 and 0 0 0

Best Regards :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-05-13, 11:30)meka Wrote: I'm also considering an Intel NUC more precisely the D54250WYK but only if its possible for the Intel IGP Hardware decoder to render 3840x1080 and 1920x2160 video. Since as far as I know using 3DAVC/MVC with linux/OpenElec currently, framepacking is I believe not an option as well. Wbhat are the experience with FullHD 3D resolution on Intel NUC hardware?

MVC is an encoding format where one eye is encoded only as the difference between it and the other eye. There are no open source MVC decoders so far, when there is MVC in ffmpeg, it will eventually get into XBMC.

Framepacking is something else. It is a output method where both eyes are output in the same frame with extra signaling to indicate it is frame packed. It can be done with XBMC as I understand it (search for afedchin builds) in windows with proprietary video drivers.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I gave an Atom D525 powered Arctic MC001 to my father with Win7 installed for use as an internet browsing/youtube/XBMC machine.

I'd like to take this back from him and turn it back into a pure openelec XBMC media player and buy him a NUC instead for the above duties

D34010WYK i3 version is within the budget I want to spend.

I have a spare 4gb sodimm and 2.5" 60gb SSD from the Arctic MC001 that I can swap into the NUC as they aren't required in the Arctic when I revert it to an Openelec machine.

However, the taller WYKH version which apparently I'd need to fit a 2.5" SSD is more expensive such that if I was to the spend the extra for the space for a 2.5" SSD I'd actually be just as well buying the smaller form factor regular WYK version and purchasing a 60gb mSata which kind renders the WYKH version moot for me.

So can anyone tell me whether a 2.5" SSD albeit not officially supported can nevertheless be squished inside the smaller WYK case or is it simply just not physically possible to fit one inside. I see on the taller WYKH version theres is a metal 2.5" Hotswap Caddy because obviously the metal chassis of a 2.5" HDD could short out the motherboard/sodimms if it were just squished into the case. However a plastic chassis SSD wouldn't carry such risks and doesn't necessarily need a caddy. It could just lay across the sodimms possibly.

Anyone done this? ie. Fit a 2.5" SSD inside the regular sized D34010WYK
it wont fit, the "non H" NUC is VERY compact height wise

also with your existing stick of RAM you want to reuse, make sure it is low voltage 1.3V (DDR3L) otherwise it wont work with the NUC!
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
(2014-05-14, 06:47)scarecrow420 Wrote: it wont fit, the "non H" NUC is VERY compact height wise

also with your existing stick of RAM you want to reuse, make sure it is low voltage 1.3V (DDR3L) otherwise it wont work with the NUC!

Good to know. Thanks for that.

Was just putting together my order for parts for a WHS2011/Flexraiid media server I'm building soon and it occurred to me that seeing as I'll also be running an instance of XBMC on the server along with MySQL and CP/SB, that the 'spare' 60gb SSD could be put to good use there as an OS drive. Makes me feel better about picking up and paying for an mSATA SSD for the NUC.
In a impulse buy I ended up ordering an LG 55LA9709 4K capable TV earlier this week.

Now I am looking around for a new XBMC HTPC. Currently I run a old Asrock Ion 330. Which is perfect for now.
But lacks the 3D and 4K capabilities.

I am now tempted to buy a NUC to replace it.
What would be the mimimum hardware (i3, i5) that I would need to run 3D and 4K without issues on the NUC?

Any advice would be welcome, I have been reading through this thread. But it is quite long already.
  • 208(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7