• 215(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2014-05-29, 13:40)BLKMGK Wrote: UnRAID development hasn't ever stopped, I have no idea how you could,say that. It's Currently got a beta that allows it to run Xen VMs. I've been running it since it was first released with no issues and the support forum is always active. I've used hot swap bays and cases without problem and have 30TB now with empty bays available. Having seen friends burn up quite a few of those pre-built things I won't touch them unless its from the likes of dell or HP. Being able to buy cheap parts and easily upgrade is nice, I've swapped cases 3 times, mobo 4, and now run it under ESXi in a 3u chassis all without losing any data. That I can use whatever size drives I want is nice but it certainly won't saturate a Gig network nor is that needed for movies. For that I'd do FreeNAS - which I also virtualize for an ESXi datastore :-)

I'm multiple revs back on the NUC bios, I don't do sleep or WoL, is there any advantage to my moving to the new bios? I know they fixed the issue with the EFI and Linux, any other big bugs stomped? I've had zero issues with my MCE remotes etc. and am just curious if I'm missing out on anything by not updating. Glad to see Intel is actively working on the bios!

My, the Haswell thread has gotten quite derailed... time for me to throw my .02 in.

I'm an IT guy, and in my home I had historically operated whatever Win/Linux thing seemed like the best option for storage needs, including home rolled RAID-5 volumes with RAID controllers (to get decent speeds 5+ yrs ago) etc.

However, I just want my storage solution to work and I don't want to screw around with it so I bought a Synology a few yrs ago. I have a DS1511+ and a 2nd bay. I have over 20TB installed and have never had even the slightest hiccup with it. They don't "burn up" and they have quite good resale value if you do need to upgrade to a better one down the line. It's also worth pointing out that the power consumption of the Synology is rather remarkable. With two bays and 7 drives going I'm typically using around 30-35 watts with this thing. If I let it sleep or go into standby late at night it's down to under 10 watts. Try getting that with home rolled solution.

I have now installed three other Synology systems for friends, coworkers and at my wife's business. I haven't had issues with any of them. The time I spend in the typical year "dealing" with the Synology is under 30 minutes and that's usually just version updates. Disk replacement similarly takes just a minute or two.

At the end of the day, my time is flat out not worth building/maintaining my own franken-NAS solution.. and I'm certainly not the only one who feels that way.
Hi, I don't understand why I'm having a lot of freezes or stutterings when I jump through the playback of some HD .mkv and .wmv files. I think that's something wrong with Openelec or my mSata drive.

I don't know what else to do. Can anyone suggest me an alternative OS to my NUC D34010WYK instead Openelec?

Of course I have my xbmc with hardware acceleration enabled, and all the Vaapi menu/submenu checked. Vdapu disabled. I've this issues with lan files and also with files in my mSata.

Kind regards.
Sony XR 55 A80J
Kodi Nexus

Intel Nuc i3 + 4gb ram
OE 4.0.3
(2014-05-29, 22:00)javiertoti Wrote: Hi, I don't understand why I'm having a lot of freezes or stutterings when I jump through the playback of some HD .mkv and .wmv files. I think that's something wrong with Openelec or my mSata drive.

I don't know what else to do. Can anyone suggest me an alternative OS to my NUC D34010WYK instead Openelec?

Of course I have my xbmc with hardware acceleration enabled, and all the Vaapi menu/submenu checked. Vdapu disabled. I've this issues with lan files and also with files in my mSata.

Kind regards.

Can you make a short video or something of what it's doing? What you are describing might actually be considered normal. Speed of your hard drive shouldn't even factor into that sort of thing unless you are playing the MKV back from local storage.
Thanks voip-ninja I'll make this video as soon as posible this week. I've tried to play those files from the NUC hard drive and over my remote computer and the result is the same.
Sony XR 55 A80J
Kodi Nexus

Intel Nuc i3 + 4gb ram
OE 4.0.3
Anybody else having problems with Wake-on-LAN with the latest BIOS from 05/14?
I had to reflash the Beta BIOS to get it work properly.
(2014-05-29, 13:40)BLKMGK Wrote: I'm multiple revs back on the NUC bios, I don't do sleep or WoL, is there any advantage to my moving to the new bios? I know they fixed the issue with the EFI and Linux, any other big bugs stomped? I've had zero issues with my MCE remotes etc. and am just curious if I'm missing out on anything by not updating. Glad to see Intel is actively working on the bios!

Same here. WoL would be nice for the rare occasion when I want to shell into the NUC or something but I can live without it (getting up and walking to the next room to push the button once every 2 months isn't that bad). And the latest version of OpenElec finally got the sleep bug fixed. I should just leave well enough alone but am always wondering if I'm missing anything.

(2014-05-29, 19:14)voip-ninja Wrote: However, I just want my storage solution to work and I don't want to screw around with it so I bought a Synology a few yrs ago. I have a DS1511+ and a 2nd bay. I have over 20TB installed and have never had even the slightest hiccup with it. They don't "burn up" and they have quite good resale value if you do need to upgrade to a better one down the line. It's also worth pointing out that the power consumption of the Synology is rather remarkable. With two bays and 7 drives going I'm typically using around 30-35 watts with this thing. If I let it sleep or go into standby late at night it's down to under 10 watts. Try getting that with home rolled solution.

I have now installed three other Synology systems for friends, coworkers and at my wife's business. I haven't had issues with any of them. The time I spend in the typical year "dealing" with the Synology is under 30 minutes and that's usually just version updates. Disk replacement similarly takes just a minute or two.

At the end of the day, my time is flat out not worth building/maintaining my own franken-NAS solution.. and I'm certainly not the only one who feels that way.

Count me in that group. I spent about 12 years using one flavor of Linux or other running on whatever hardware was most recently replaced for the Windows desktop (gaming mostly), and it was fun (sometimes) and I learned an awful lot, but it was always a PITA having to upgrade the OS, to make sure WoL was working, which it often wasn't, so I had to keep the thing up and running 24/7 so other family member were able to access their stuff. Since going with the DS1511+ 2 or 3 years ago, not a single issue, no more headaches. It's an expensive little box but so well worth it.
Just to say i got my universal remote working fine http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-For-All-Cont...all+remote I just had to program the code 1972 into the game function (not dvd for some reason). Everything works power on/off etc... It's a good cheap harmony alternative (no fancy win s/w programming though)
(2014-05-29, 22:15)voip-ninja Wrote:
(2014-05-29, 22:00)javiertoti Wrote: Hi, I don't understand why I'm having a lot of freezes or stutterings when I jump through the playback of some HD .mkv and .wmv files. I think that's something wrong with Openelec or my mSata drive.

Kind regards.

Can you make a short video or something of what it's doing? What you are describing might actually be considered normal. Speed of your hard drive shouldn't even factor into that sort of thing unless you are playing the MKV back from local storage.

@voip-ninja I've recorded two videos for explain my problem with some .mkv files and stutterings or frozen when I try to jump through the movies. The second video it's more representative.

I also have the same problems with several .wmv file ( WMV3 VC-1 )

THANKS.
Sony XR 55 A80J
Kodi Nexus

Intel Nuc i3 + 4gb ram
OE 4.0.3
debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I play MKV files (both 8 and 10 bit) all day long over my lan with no problems ever. Either your mkv's are encoded badly or you have a hardware problem.

Crucial 4GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 SODIMM 204-Pin 1.35V/1.5V Notebook Memory Module CT51264BF160B
Kingston Digital 60GB SSDNow mS200 mSATA (6Gbps) Solid State Drive for Notebooks Tablets and Ultrabooks SMS200S3/60G
Intel NUC D54250WYK1

I use FreeNAS to serve files (gigabit lan)
First born Atomic Generation.
(2014-06-01, 23:19)javiertoti Wrote:

Kind regards.

@voip-ninja I've recorded two videos for explain my problem with some .mkv files and stutterings or frozen when I try to jump through the movies. The second video it's more representative.

THANKS.

Hm... I've definitely never seen anything like that. There is a little bit of judder/jerkiness when fast-forwarding through MKVs, but nothing quite as severe as what you show. You might have to capture debug log and even maybe create a "sample" snip of one of these files and see if you can get one of the developers to test this out.

Does this happen every single time you do any FF/REW of your files? You might run mediacodecinfo (or similar app) and post what the settings are on these files....

Does this happen if you simply do a "fresh" rip of a show with MakeMKV from DVD or BD?

Kind regards.

THANKS.
Did u try playing the files on other hardware as well?
(2014-06-03, 10:44)Peppin Wrote:
(2014-05-29, 22:15)voip-ninja Wrote: Can you make a short video or something of what it's doing? What you are describing might actually be considered normal. Speed of your hard drive shouldn't even factor into that sort of thing unless you are playing the MKV back from local storage.

THANKS.
Did u try playing the files on other hardware as well?

Ffs people stop guessing. We need a debug log (wiki) or forget it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Just a quick question... Is the i3 capable of playing NetFlix streams via pipelight? I currently use a q6600 with Ubuntu, and noticed that NetFlix/pipelight seem to use about 120%cpu (spread across 4 cores). I'd like to buy a NUC for both XBMC and NetFlix (as well as C++ dev) and just wanted to know if the i3 would be fast enough to handle NetFlix stutter free. Has anoyone tried this?
(2014-06-03, 12:41)nickr Wrote:
(2014-06-03, 10:44)Peppin Wrote: Did u try playing the files on other hardware as well?

Ffs people stop guessing. We need a debug log (wiki) or forget it.

I think it's a valid question to narrow down the possible cause and not guessing. Can the problem be seen on a Radeon or Nvidia based system or even another Intel system? If not, then at least we know that the files played should be ok. It's also possible that the debug log shows nothing regarding this.. But agree, a debug log is necessary to start any more serious troubleshooting.
  • 215(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7