• 220(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
Has anyone used this: http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/product...apter.aspx

with a D54250WYK?

Just wondering how hard the wiring modifications are.
(2014-07-07, 01:04)ThaDraGun Wrote: Just looked at using windowed mode and there's no way I'm sticking with that. I would rather reset and get rid of the error every once and a while. I dont want to see the top menu bar, the outlines on the sides and taskbar all the time. Looks horrible for xbmc.

I will check out the HDMI pin 19 trick. thx
You may have misunderstood what I was referring to. In the System->Settings->System->Video Output area there is a "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" option. You shouldn't see any menu bar, outlines or taskbar, it still appears fullscreen it's just (I assume) a window that is full screen size as opposed to actually taking control of the fullscreen. In general it works/looks OK, it's only on startup that I get focus issues where the taskbar comes infront of XBMC (I have a IR code bound to Win+1 which launches XBMC using a pinned taskbar icon but if this command is received when XBMC was already open it causes it to go out of focus). Also as I mentioned, leaving the HTPC on when the AVR/TV are switched off sometimes causes resizing events where XBMC shrinks itself but then later doesn't expand itself again later (fixed by hitting the fullscreen command twice, bound to backslash key from memory).

Long story short, ive found the fake fullscreen to not be the best option but not for the reasons you've mentioned so I just wanted to clarify that it sounds like you are running it in windowed mode as opposed to using the fullscreen window I was referring to Smile
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
So pretty much ever since I picked up my i5 NUC, I've been getting random crashes. As many as 3+ per day. It has been a bear trying to find a decent log file, but I finally got it today. These are pastes of the journal and the xbmc log. Does anyone with more linux-fu than I care to help me figure out these oopses and panics? I've tried to research the errors, but I can't find a System.map to decode the kernel traces.

As I said, it's an i5 NUC connected gigabit through a semi-managed switch to a mySQL database on an unRAID server also gigabit, but bonded in active-backup through an unmanaged switch. (Thought it might be network-related, cause if I leave it in the crashed state too long, it eventually kicks my server offline, as well as all the other wired clients in the house.) Or those could be separate issues! OS is OpenELEC 4.0.6.

This does seem pretty well-related to the NUC though, as I replaced an Asrock ION 330 (moved to treadmill room) which also crashed once in a while, but far far less often.

Anyway, journal: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=242434

And xbmc: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=242439

The xbmc one is not a complete log, but it does have several hours before the panic. xbmclogs kept saying I had a censored phrase, so I had to cut down.

Thanks in advance!

P
Has anyone had minor dropouts with audio passthrough on TruHd (have had none with DTSHDMA). Running openelec on the i3 with the bluray rips at 24p. Not sure if a makemkv, receiver (NR818) or openelec issue?
(2014-07-08, 19:15)Nellgrove Wrote: Has anyone had minor dropouts with audio passthrough on TruHd (have had none with DTSHDMA). Running openelec on the i3 with the bluray rips at 24p. Not sure if a makemkv, receiver (NR818) or openelec issue?

I think you probably need to be more specific.

Can you provide the settings (or a screenshot) on the audio page? What are you using for audio/video sync settings? When you say 24p, do you mean straight blu-ray rips at 23.976fps? Have you checked the settings via the ssh shell on your OpenElec install to see if when it talks to your TV by way of your AVR it is showing during playback that it is using the 23.976 framerate?
(2014-07-08, 20:01)voip-ninja Wrote: I think you probably need to be more specific.

Can you provide the settings (or a screenshot) on the audio page? What are you using for audio/video sync settings? When you say 24p, do you mean straight blu-ray rips at 23.976fps? Have you checked the settings via the ssh shell on your OpenElec install to see if when it talks to your TV by way of your AVR it is showing during playback that it is using the 23.976 framerate?

Hi, I'll try and do the more detailed bits when the kids are in bed. I have the audio set to audio clock. They are straight bluray rips from disc via makemkv. Not done the ssh thing, but will look into it. Tv us showing as picking up a 1080/24 signal when the mkv file starts.
(2014-07-08, 20:08)Nellgrove Wrote:
(2014-07-08, 20:01)voip-ninja Wrote: I think you probably need to be more specific.

Hi, I'll try and do the more detailed bits when the kids are in bed. I have the audio set to audio clock. They are straight bluray rips from disc via makemkv. Not done the ssh thing, but will look into it. Tv us showing as picking up a 1080/24 signal when the mkv file starts.

Which version of OpenElec are you running? True-HD had a lot more problems playing back smoothly @ 23.976 under Frodo than it does under Gotham. It is worth noting that the way the audio frames are delivered is different between the two formats... it sounds to me like you have something not synced properly.

Also before going any further, you for sure have Haswell based NUC? Only Haswell and other 2014 MY NUCs have true 23.976 support. Older ones do not and will have the problem you describe in some configurations.

Under settings-> video -> playback you will need to make sure that you are set to;

1. Sync playback to display
2. Sync Audio Drop/Dupe

Any changes you've made to these settings initially might have hosed things up, so you might want to reset everything to default before making any new changes. Also, you won't see these settings if you aren't set up for "advanced" mode for looking at the settings.

If this does not resolve the issue (it should in most cases as what you describe is a classic issue of mis-match frame-rate and loss of sync with display and AVR) then you would need to;

1. Verify your AVR is set correctly to pass through 23.976 unmolested.
2. Verify your TV supports "true' 23.976 and not 24.000.
3. ssh into your box during playback of a True-HD file.
4. Reference commands found in this thread to interrogate what resolution it is using during playback;

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...id=1443624

5. Post the results here.
6. You can also tail the log file during playback (seen in some thread above) and when an audio drop happens you should see something new in the log that relates to it. You can report that also.

Good luck.
Hi guys,

I am thinking about buying a NUC (i3 or i5). I have read in another thread that with the Celeron model hd audio is not possible while running windows. Do the i3/i5 models have any problems passing through hd audio on a windows system?

That is what I will be doing with my NUC:
- Windows
- XBMC with demanding skins
- mostly watching movies (bluray untouched)
- a little youtube
- a little skygo
- maybe a small game now and then

I place value on a very smooth environment (no menu stutters etc.)

Is the i3 enough for my porpuse or should I consider buying the i5 model?

Cheers!
(2014-07-11, 16:01)Branphma Wrote: Hi guys,

I am thinking about buying a NUC (i3 or i5). I have read in another thread that with the Celeron model hd audio is not possible while running windows. Do the i3/i5 models have any problems passing through hd audio on a windows system?

That is what I will be doing with my NUC:
- Windows
- XBMC with demanding skins
- mostly watching movies (bluray untouched)
- a little youtube
- a little skygo
- maybe a small game now and then

I place value on a very smooth environment (no menu stutters etc.)

Is the i3 enough for my porpuse or should I consider buying the i5 model?

Cheers!
Depending on your definition of a "small" game, the i3 will be sufficient. Afaik there are no HD passthrough problems with i3 + Windows.
aeon nox 4 for gotham stutters on i3 with 1x8gb stick.
hd audio passthrough - no issues.
(2014-07-11, 20:04)ciukacz Wrote: aeon nox 4 for gotham stutters on i3 with 1x8gb stick.
hd audio passthrough - no issues.
Stutters how? Absolutely fluent here.
The haswell i3 does bitstreamed HD audio from Windows without any issues. The only reason the Celeron doesn't is due to intel driver issues (in openelec it works on the Celeron too).

I only run confluence so cant really comment on fluidness with heavy skins but Id be surprised if it wasn't up to the task. I have 4GB RAM in mine and a mSata SSD running windows 8.1 outputting via DisplayPort to HDMI on my Onkyo 705 receiver, then a 65" Panasonic VT60 Plasma. Bitstreamed HD audio works fine for TrueHD and DTS-MA and 1080P playback work fine as far as I can tell
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
Thanks for your answers, appreciate it!

Will buy the i3 then :-)
(2014-07-11, 22:32)Peppin Wrote: Stutters how? Absolutely fluent here.

i have a couple of main menu widgets enabled that are fed from smart playlists
and it stutters when scrolling from one main menu item to another.
it's not something that bothers me a lot but i can't say it's buttery smooth.
New Linux Network Driver for Haswell NUC - https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_...ldId=15817
Maybe an Fix for "Reboot after Shutdown" - https://communities.intel.com/message/242596#242596
| myHTPC |
  • 220(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7