WIP XBMC Living Room Setup
I'm planning on a XBCM Living Room Setup with
1. TP-LINK TD-W8970 (Modem Router Gigabit Wireless N 300Mbps)
2. D-Link DNS-320L NAS (Probably with a RAID 1 setup)
3. LED TV
4. ? XBMC Box ?

I'm going to connect all with LAN Cables and NOT WiFi.

What i need is to play (smoothly) 1080p movies, music, photos... (everything) from the NAS with the XBMC Box.

Reading here and there i was thinking about the Geniatech MyGica ATV520 Enjoy TV Dual Core.
- Have XBMC
- Cheap
- Easy to setup
- Have a remote (i think)
- Have Android (it's cool because of all the apps from the PlayStore)

Ofc the setup will be like:

TV <===> XBMC Box <===> ROUTER <===> NAS

What do you think? Can this work for me? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kianda
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ght=ATV520
HTPC RPI3 Kodi 17 (Krypton) v8.0.1 MR
Storage BPI 1x 500GB SSD UPnP server
Display Sony Bravia 32"
what format is your "1080p" on your NAS?

Whats your budget for the XBMC box?

I think the BEST thing is still a HTPC running XBMC, if you want to make sure all the menus are snappy, streaming with as much support for audio/video formats, etc (i mean like HD audio, etc there).

The ATVs, Pi's, and handful of andriod boxes are all good, and CAN do most of what you really want, but sometimes they have issues, espically when it comes to more CPU intensive skins, or very high bitrate MKVs (think things like 18GB 1080p MKVs with video bitrates in the teens). Its not the lack of network that they choke on, its the lack of hardware acceleration, or lack of cpu power, or limited ram, etc.

I have XBMC running on a few ATV2s, a dell laptop (c2d) w/broken screen and a SFF Dell w/ i7. XBMC runs great on all of them, but it can crash from time to time on the ATV2s, and often drops lots of frames in highbitrate scenes on some movies. Even the old Dell laptop running XBMC in Openelec (doesn't even have a GB network port) runs them a LOT better, and drops very few frames over an entire movie.

I suggest looking at the intel NUCs (they are small, and plenty powerful) or even just building out a mITX based system. Lots of suggestions all over this forum for that, just do a search.
Hi,
Was thinking around 70€ for the box budget (low, i know)!

mITX will be an overkill for my needs Big Grin

Well, thanks for the info!
Well, I am running the OUYA and so far, very pleased with it.

www.ouya.tv
What you guys think about the ATV580? http://www.mygica.com/product.asp?id=168

I can find it around 120€
Personally i wouldn't use an android based device for my living room setup - i've yet to see one that works as well as something pc based. I want the best experience in my lounge.

You can pickup a zotac zbox id18 for about €100 add some ram, a usb stick to boot from and openelec and your done. It will give you much better user experience and be significantly more flexible

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Living Room Setup0