Rip / Convert TV Show DVDs How-To here!
Hi

I wrote about TV Show DVD's rips in VIDEO_TS folders and XBMC and the limitations due to the lack of episode mapping features here on my blog a while ago.

This week I wrote a four part series on how to rip the DVDs, convert the episodes to individual MKV files and import them in to the XBMC TV Show library.

You can see the How-to guide on the links below. Would be interested to know how others are doing this any better solutions etc?

How to rip and convert TV Show DVDs for XBMC – Part 1

How to rip and convert TV Show DVDs for XBMC – Part 2

How to rip and convert TV Show DVDs for XBMC – Part 3

How to rip and convert TV Show DVDs for XBMC – Part 4
Nice
(2013-11-08, 13:12)cw-kid Wrote: Would be interested to know how others are doing this any better solutions etc?

Nice guides! My process is a little different but same basic idea.

First, DVD (with AnyDVD) > ISO (with LC ISO Creator).

Then, I mount the ISO and open it in MPC-HC, and use the info pane to note the title numbers as I navigate through the disc. I have a form that I use to write the info on - disc image name (Route 66 S1 D2, etc), episode names / numbers and their corresponding title numbers. This way I can run through a bunch at a time, and I don't have to set the names while ripping, I can just do them later on because it's all right there where I won't lose it, and the info loosely corresponds to how Handbrake automatically names the files (Route 66 S1D2-1). I even have checkboxes for each step: ISO, Encoded, etc.

Then, eventually, I queue up a bunch in handbrake. I have two custom profiles I use, one for older tv shows and one for newer stuff. The newer shows can take a bit more of beating before much noticeable quality loss, while the older stuff, especially black and white, is often already not great so it needs a bit more care to avoid degrading the video quality too much. I don't know my settings off hand and that computer is busy at the moment.

I generally queue up a few source ISOs from the same tv show and just let it do it's thing. I love handbrake's queue. I can set up a whole season's worth of discs in one go.

Then eventually, open up the folder it dumps them in and do my renaming, followed by a trip into metabrowser. (I'm a bit fussy about my metadata, and no mere fetcher or scraper can make me happy, so sometimes this can take a while.) Finally, stick them in their permanent homes and update my library.

I just got an entire tv show box set from Amazon yesterday. 39 DVDs. Could take me a bit, especially since I have two other series I haven't finished processing that I really should do first. I always get the ISOs done pretty quick, but then I get sidetracked and end up with a backlog. I love classic tv shows, but they can be a lot of work. Smile
Jarvis + Mediaportal, Phenomenal skin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rip / Convert TV Show DVDs How-To here!0