Different xbmc audio settings via xbmc and xbmcuntu logins
Ok, bare with me as I'm new to xbmc and xbmcuntu. I've just recently purchased a Zotac Nano ID65 and have installed xbmcunto Frodo. I'm having some strange things happen when I login directly to xbmc vs logging in to xbmcuntu then starting xbmc. This has all come about since I was not getting any sound when playing movies but music (mp3s) were working fine. I installed PulseAudio as mentioned in some posts and under certain conditions I get sound in movies ok.
So what works:
Login to xbmcuntu then start xbmc - the audio output device is set to Playback/recording through PulseAudio sound server. Movies play ok...
Login to xbmc directly - the audio output device is set to Default (HDA Intel PCH ALC892 Analog) and no sound in movies! Plus the Playback/recordinh through PulseAudio sound server option is not there...have to set it to HDA Intel PCH, Sony TV on HDMI - just to get Music to sound... but movies still don't have any sound.

Why is invoking xbmc via the login or launching it after logging in showing DIFFERENT audio output settings? How can I make PulseAudio the default?
Any one with any suggestions ?
Thanks,
Neil
Installing pulse was a big mistake for one thing. Get rid of it and all that came with it.

I suspect that because the XBMC session doesn't run any desktop, pulse is not getting started and is not available.

Anyway, as I said, it is evil - get rid of it and then set the audio out device properly.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
So if I remove pulse how / where are the instructions to configure audio correctly?
sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio libasound2-plugins
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Play a movie, then go to audio setup and choose each sound output device until you get sound.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Well I decided to try a different approach. I installed Ubuntu 13.10 and xbmc on this. Similar results, uses pulseaudio which was installed by default. Same issue logging in when selecting xbmc as the session on the login page. However I have setup a autologin and have a startup script which launches xbmc and sound is available since the login is to the full desktop and yatse as a xbmc remote control and I'm happy!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Different xbmc audio settings via xbmc and xbmcuntu logins0