• 3(current)
Official Add-On Website- issues and suggestions
p.s. a direct link to Transiflex addons translation project should be added somewhere visible on the addons website (and on the contribue page also).
Desperately need some high quality and current videos showcasing XBMC.
They are difficult to find when wanting to show off the software - it should be much easier to do so. My $0.02.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Looks good, but what sort order is used to list items - is it popularity? Being able to sort into alphabetical order would be nice, as scanning a long list for an item you know the name of is a bit of a pain when the items are jumbled.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
This is awesome. Great work guys!

I do have a few ideas about improving the workflow of developing and submitting addons and I'm not sure this is the right thread to discuss them (most probably not, but maybe someone will point me in the right direction where I can open a discussion).

The biggest pain for me right now when developing addons is the packaging of python library dependencies. For any addon which depends on quite a few external python libraries which are not already packaged for XBMC, the work required to package it for submission in the official repositories quickly adds up to quite a lot.
In order to do this you would have to either download all the required libraries and drop them in your addon directory, or package each and every library you depend on in a different XBMC addon (which requires significantly more work).

Both of these are quite inefficient and require a significant amount of work to prepare the initial submission and to keep the dependencies up-to-date.

Since most addons use libraries which are already found in the Python Package Index wouldn't it be possible to let XBMC download and install these dependencies automatically, preferably whit-in a virtualenv for each addon? Are there any security considerations which should be taken into consideration? Would it be feasible to implement this functionality into XBMC?

By having the dependency resolution implemented directly into XBMC and letting the addon developers only specify their dependencies in a requirements.txt would make our life as addon developers much easier.

What do you guys think?
That will be a no-go on most platforms. I'd say just package it as a module and submit it.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2013-11-12, 11:37)Martijn Wrote: 4) do note that these stats are not representative and are a sum of all the downloads for that addon, ever. So if you update a lot it will increase way faster. This should change in future to show more meaningful stats.

Hi Martijn, since a couple of weeks, the URL of the Add-on simplestats has been moved to a mirror link, which is not longer updated. It sounds like the mirror site isn't running the update process on a daily basis, as did before the main URL.

On the other hand, the Add-on Website is superb! Congratulations to Zag and the Team. This is very encouraging for the Add-on developers, in order to keep updated their contributions, and to publish new ones to the official repo.

Thanks a lot and best regards,

jamontes.
(2013-11-24, 12:42)Martijn Wrote: That will be a no-go on most platforms. I'd say just package it as a module and submit it.

Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I'm doing right now so I guess I'll have to just keep doing it this way.

Maybe someone will be able to create some tools to help in this regard (e.g.: 1. read a requirements.txt file at build time 2. download all the dependencies which are not already packaged for xbmc in the current addon directory 3. archive and submit the addon to the official repos).

Would you mind sharing what are the platforms for which the initial idea would not be possible and why is that so?
this is totally off-topic. create another thread
This is a real improvement. I noticed that the forum links on my addon (Russia Today, The Wall Street Journal, Mediacorp TV) wiki pages point back to the wiki pages, rather than the forum links. I modified them by hand, but assume they'll change back when the bot runs again. I probably haven't set something up correctly, what should I change?. Thanks
(2013-11-24, 16:10)learningit Wrote: This is a real improvement. I noticed that the forum links on my addon (Russia Today, The Wall Street Journal, Mediacorp TV) wiki pages point back to the wiki pages, rather than the forum links. I modified them by hand, but assume they'll change back when the bot runs again. I probably haven't set something up correctly, what should I change?. Thanks
correctly fix the links in your addon.xml and send an update
(2013-11-24, 16:12)Martijn Wrote:
(2013-11-24, 16:10)learningit Wrote: This is a real improvement. I noticed that the forum links on my addon (Russia Today, The Wall Street Journal, Mediacorp TV) wiki pages point back to the wiki pages, rather than the forum links. I modified them by hand, but assume they'll change back when the bot runs again. I probably haven't set something up correctly, what should I change?. Thanks
correctly fix the links in your addon.xml and send an update

That was stupid, I'll send an update later. Thanks
Can you please add the ability to have video previews that demo each addon on the website? I think that especially for skins preview videos would be great!

Maybe you could let addon devs add link / links to YouTube or Vimeo videos? or use embedded YouTube / Vimeo videos?

Would be great if such video preview demos could also be viewed in direct from XBMC via XBMC Addon Manager too.

Addons devs could add one or multiple YouTube / Vimeo URL links or ID to the addon.xml of their addons?

It would act kind of like a movie trailer, so in XBMC maybe you could reuse the movie trailers code for skinners?

The possibility of including videos alongside screenshots on Apple's App Store has long been one of the most requested features by third-party developers

http://www.macstories.net/stories/four-y...-curation/

and rumor is now that Apple will soon finally let app developers add preview videos for their apps both in iTunes and the App Store

http://www.macstories.net/news/video-tra...msy-ninja/

https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt...58892&mt=8

(2013-11-24, 12:39)vially Wrote: I do have a few ideas about improving the workflow of developing and submitting addons and I'm not sure this is the right thread to discuss them (most probably not, but maybe someone will point me in the right direction where I can open a discussion).
I believe off-topic here and instead maybe check these two other threads about "What are the reasons you don't submit your addon to official repo?"

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=156190

and

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=156191
Actually... upload of Add-ons from the web interface is very much in my plans.

We need some kind of user system first though.
How about showing the changelog for the addon ?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Official Add-On Website- issues and suggestions4