Bug Dolby Digital 5.0 .mkv shows as 4.1 in default skin
Apologies if posted in wrong section, first time poster.

As per the title, a DVD rip of "The Corrs Unplugged" which has a dolby digital 5.0 audio track is displayed as containing a 4.1 audio track. I'm assuming 5.0 is pretty rare as DVDs go, hence perhaps why this hasn't come up before?

Many thanks to the developers and all who contribute to xbmc.
Is this a cosmetic Problem or has it any issues?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I don't have any sort of surround channel level meter/visualiser, but MediaInfo for Mac OS seems to confirm the correct 5.0 channels within the .mkv file. The file seems to sound as you would expect so I think it's mainly a cosmetic issue.

As a software engineering graduate (without seeing the source code), it's almost as if the display algorithm is:

display (numChannels -1)".1"

if that makes sense Smile
As far as the files in the Confluence skin, it does seem to assume that 5 channels equals the "4.1" image flag. There's no image for "5.0".

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/tree/master...ging/audio

So one hopes this is only a cosmetic issue :)
Hmm. Seems that this cosmetic issue still stands in all versions!
It will continue to do so until someone has time and interest in coding a way for the software to make a distinction between 5.0 and 4.1.
But why can't this be distinguished? The "codec info" screen clearly shows the correct 5.0 for audio format. Is that information simply not available outside of that one screen?
I'm not a programmer, so I do not know the exact details.
Skins can only base the image to display on the number of channels but we don't know if there's a .1 channel or not hence the reason 5 channels is assumed to be 4.1.

Quote:ListItem.AudioChannels Shows the number of audio channels of the currently selected video (possible values: 0, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8)

Looks like there's a need to define the .1 channel in the future -

Quote:Although commonly associated with the 5.1 channel configuration, Dolby Digital allows a number of different channel selections. The options are:
Mono (center only)
2-channel stereo (left + right), optionally carrying matrixed Dolby Surround
3-channel stereo (left, center, right)
2-channel stereo with mono surround (left, right, surround)
3-channel stereo with mono surround (left, center, right, surround)
4-channel quadraphonic (left, right, left surround, right surround)
5-channel surround (left, center, right, left surround, right surround)
These configurations optionally include the extra low-frequency effects (LFE) channel. The last two with stereo surrounds optionally use Dolby Digital EX matrix encoding to add an extra Rear Surround channel.
Many Dolby Digital decoders are equipped with downmixing to distribute encoded channels to speakers. This includes such functions as playing surround information through the front speakers if surround speakers are unavailable, and distributing the center channel to left and right if no center speaker is available. When outputting to separate equipment over a 2-channel connection, a Dolby Digital decoder can optionally encode the output using Dolby Surround to preserve surround information.
The '.1' in 5.1, 7.1 etc. refers to the LFE channel, which is also a discrete channel.
Okay, I guess just add that to the general "request" heap!

For some reason I find I have more instances of 5.0 than 4.1... although both are rare.
(2014-12-31, 13:27)Hitcher Wrote: ListItem.AudioChannels Shows the number of audio channels of the currently selected video (possible values: 0, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 8)
Looks like there's a need to define the .1 channel in the future -
Digging out this very old thread as this issue has not been solved until today. There's still only these channels available via a skin infolabel:
Quote:ListItem.AudioChannelsShows the number of audio channels of the currently selected video (possible values: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10)
This should be fixed as skinners can only take a wild guess at which formats are most common, but they can't show the actual channel layout precisely like e.g. the OSD audio settings dialog can. Additionally, formats like 3.0 audio files (that can be found out there) won't be possible with the current implementation either. Would it be a hard thing to simply pass on the information the OSD audio settings dialog is showing?
OSMC Skinner      |    The OSMC Skin for Kodi v20 Nexus (native 16:9, 21:9 and 4:3 skin, special cinemascope/CIH version available)      |     GitHub: https://github.com/Ch1llb0/skin.osmc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby Digital 5.0 .mkv shows as 4.1 in default skin1