XBMCBUNTU The right XBMC for the job?
So, I have got a proliant n54l media server with 2 x 2tb drives in a raid 0 configuration, and initially I installed openelec on a usb.

I have since found that Openelec does not have raid support, so can I assume that xbmcbuntu will see the 4tb correctly?

I plan to install on a 4gb usb drive and run like that.

Thanks
XBMCbuntu is nothing more or less than Ubuntu with XBMC and LightDM as desktopmanager.

If there is support for your raid card in Ubuntu than it will be possible to get it working in XBMCbuntu as well.
How have you setup raid? Fakeraid(bios) or software raid(mdadm)?
If you want to use OpenELEC you should consider if you really need a RAID on those two drives. It is safer to use them as two separate drives (unless you go for RAID1). Anyway, you'd have to answer teeedubb's question before anyone can give you more detailed advice.
Xbmcbuntu can do anything ubuntu can do, so if your raid setup works with ubuntu you'll be sweet.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have always installed XBMC from the commandline of a "minimal" Ubuntu build. That is there is no window manager at all, other than XBMC itself, which makes for an ultra lean system. Great for dedicated set-ups,when you won't be using the machine for desktop applications.

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Instal.../MinimalCD for more info on Ubuntu "mini" (it's only 30Mb!)
(2013-11-19, 12:29)Bluubekt Wrote: I have always installed XBMC from the commandline of a "minimal" Ubuntu build. That is there is no window manager at all, other than XBMC itself, which makes for an ultra lean system. Great for dedicated set-ups,when you won't be using the machine for desktop applications.

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Instal.../MinimalCD for more info on Ubuntu "mini" (it's only 30Mb!)

That's the approach I recommend to people too if OpenElec won't cut it (want to have a torrent client etc.).
Well,

Thanks for all the info folks.

Atm I'm sticking with OpenELEC, and trying to set up something called mhddfs via ssh which will create a "virtual share folder" and be like software raid (thats if I understand it ok)

This is my main concern currently as I have 2 seperate drives. I'm learning linux commands fast, but still a noob so its tough.

2nd on my list will be to get SAMBA working.
mhddfs is nothing like raid. Why do you need to join the filesystems?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I would like one cohesive place to put my media, and not spread out over several drives.
been using XBMCBuntu for a while now on my Mac Mini - even updated it to the latest kernal and patches and it works a dream... 100% vote for this please as stated above... everything Ubuntu can do.... as its just Ubuntu...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCBUNTU The right XBMC for the job?0