Android Review - G-Box Midnight MX2
When it comes too amlogic based boxes I'm kinda skeptical about the now with still being on betas and the future with perhaps having pivos moving to a tofu platform. Ned here said it should be fine but isn't the amlcodec and amlplayer specific to xios's dev? and not part of the android released for xbmc you have to pull it from pivos site if you want it. Its all gpl ok but seems like outside of xios the future with amlogic based could be troublesome for other boxes maybe? according to the pivos forum:

"For XBMC, fixes will be pushed as usual, whether or not M1/M3 go beyond 12.2 remains TBA"

what happens with old boxes after tofu like the m1 versions? If anyone knows more or heard some rumors please add.
I tried one of these devices and it sucked. Buggy, sloooooooooow, and since it is a custom Android build, forget about compiling your own builds or PVR addons if they need to be updated. I switched to a Raspberry Pi and OpenElec and will never look back. For $62-$65 (Raspberry Pi, case, 8GB SD card, and codec licenses) I have a device that works a lot better than the MX2, it was cheaper, and I can compile OpenElec with newer versions of cmyth (MythTV frontend) to watch live TV in HD.
(2013-11-13, 09:34)T800 Wrote:
(2013-11-13, 08:37)solamnic Wrote:
(2013-11-13, 03:12)dramadhin Wrote: I'm a newbie to xbmc and was very interested in purchasing a g-box mx2 to get my feet wet. I'm looking for an inexpensive way to get started, does anyone have any suggestions? If not a mx2, maybe something else...

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Next-Computi...ywords=Nuc

Celeron nuc plus 2 gb ram plus 4 gb usb stick....
Install openelec
Cheap and reliable solution..

Later on you may upgrade usb to an ssd..

A great cheap box I'm sure but at more than twice the price of some android boxes it's hardly a cheap one to get his feet wet on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a wholesale website for mx2 linux xbmc only 56.5$/pcs
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/...13750.html
(2013-11-14, 22:26)txcas Wrote: I tried one of these devices and it sucked. Buggy, sloooooooooow, and since it is a custom Android build, forget about compiling your own builds or PVR addons if they need to be updated. I switched to a Raspberry Pi and OpenElec and will never look back. For $62-$65 (Raspberry Pi, case, 8GB SD card, and codec licenses) I have a device that works a lot better than the MX2, it was cheaper, and I can compile OpenElec with newer versions of cmyth (MythTV frontend) to watch live TV in HD.

On android the Midnight is very clunky. On Linux it runs very well, better than the Rpi imo.
(2013-11-15, 10:57)T800 Wrote:
(2013-11-14, 22:26)txcas Wrote: I tried one of these devices and it sucked. Buggy, sloooooooooow, and since it is a custom Android build, forget about compiling your own builds or PVR addons if they need to be updated. I switched to a Raspberry Pi and OpenElec and will never look back. For $62-$65 (Raspberry Pi, case, 8GB SD card, and codec licenses) I have a device that works a lot better than the MX2, it was cheaper, and I can compile OpenElec with newer versions of cmyth (MythTV frontend) to watch live TV in HD.

On android the Midnight is very clunky. On Linux it runs very well, better than the Rpi imo.

I did try Linux and the MX2 and it was faster than Android. Unfortunately the Linux builds were in their early Beta and had their own set of issues.
Smile 
I recently bought one of the Matricom boxes and it seems to be a good box, i like the speed of the unit and it was reasonably cheap. Not sure about the firmware on my unit but I was told that it updates itself automatically. The unit I got was the MX with 4.2 and it seems to be pretty stable compared to my old box.

I also found an interesting site that had a download link to the firmware updates for the Matricom MX2 - they seem to have a decent review of the product as well, it was what made me buy the thing!
Ooops I forgot to mention if anybody could recommend a decent Coaxial cable for the MX2 as I need to connect this to my Cambridge Audio surround sound system ?
I agree the customer support is terrible. Recently shipped back a box got it back still had the same probs as when was shipped. my jailbroken apple tv2 has been much more stable. they need to get the system more sollid. the boot problems are insane. Also agree that its a fix it yourself box at the moment

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Review - G-Box Midnight MX20