• 5(current)
[BETA] XBMB3C - Media Browser AddOn for XBMC
so, i'm all working, just a bit of feedback on performance for information. below are the times it takes to open my movie library of c750 folders.

windows - same pc as mb3 server is on - 9 seconds
remote wireless windows client - 42s
wired raspberry pi - 93 seconds

looking forward to any improvements you can bring but this is great so far!
You typed c750 folders.. How many are there? Unless that is 7500, that sounds really, really slow. Pop over to the MediaBrowser thread here:
http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index...mc/page-11

And read post 215 regarding Windows defender interfering.

If it IS 7500 items - then wow that is a big collection Smile We are working on implementing XML caching (again) which will help.

xnappo
Also - there is a new version in 'master' that completely does away with the images caching (thanks to null_pointer). You need to pull everything again to give it a whirl. It works a lot more like native XBMC now.

It also has a new option called 'Enable performance profile' that writes a performance log to your addon data folder. Posting that log with debug off will help us see where your speed issue is.

xnappo

[EDIT]
Master now includes XML caching as well.
so, i like the new version, much more efficient on space usage which is great for the pi!

i noticed that the recently added movies and tv episodes and favourites plus upcoming and next episodes all don't work in the latest master, but timings are much improved. now 3 seconds on the local windows pc and 7 seconds on remote wireless windows. on the pi its still quite slow, currently taking about 90 seconds still, but i'm still not sure that is its best effort. it seems quite slow to build the wall even after i go into the movie library. it only pulls down covers for the folders that are currently on the screen and as i move down the library it slowly pulls in the image (the metadata is already there. is there anyway this can all be built at the outset again? it seems fine once the wall has been built

and no, it was only 750!

i don't think the version i tried has the xml caching, i'll try that on the pi
Okay, that is still way too slow on the Pi - that is horrible! Could be that is the best it will be though.

So please post a profile log (turn on just profile logging). I checked in a fix for the 'special' things (recent/upcoming etc) about an hour ago... You just need to grab default.py.

Now that we are using the native XBMC image database - no there is no way to pre-load the images. That is just the way it works. It will fill in itself over time.

xnappo
installed the latest here is the profile log i think. thanks!

http://pastebin.com/Nnmqb5ZM
Wow. Ok - that this just confirms what some have been saying. The Pi's Python crunching ability is really, really poor. All the time is consumed just doing pretty simple scripting...

So sadly, I don't think there is a whole lot that can be done. Hopefully a more optimized Python is in the cards.

xnappo
Pi users:

We have determined the Python processing on the Pi is just plain slow.

We have two options for you to consider, please let us know which you prefer we pursue:

1. Minimal data - just a like of items with the artwork optional
2. Paging. Configurable number of items per page, with previous/next page options as the first and last entries in the lists.
3. We buy everyone a NUC (kidding Smile but they are $170 on Amazon with memory right now Big Grin )

xnappo
how come its so much slower than using xbmc sql db? i've changed all my pi's over to this but i'm sure it was much quicker?
(2014-01-06, 21:46)spaceboy Wrote: how come its so much slower than using xbmc sql db? i've changed all my pi's over to this but i'm sure it was much quicker?

- XBMC is written in C, and C code gets compiled - changed into the native code for the processor.
- The XBMC db is tied in directly to the C code, meaning it can use multiple threads to display the data to you, and hide the fact that it isn't really done yet. This took *man-years* to accomplish (back when it was important on the original XBOX)
- XBMB3C is written in Python, which is an interpreted language. It seems there are some Pi distros that may run faster than others.
- Probably a whole lot more reasons - if you search you will see similar problems with other addons

There are ways this can be handled. Some AddOn devs are using the database instead of building lists.. Perhaps some other dev will be interested in giving it a shot - I am not going to have the time.

Did I mention the Celeron NUC is an awesome XBMC machine? Big Grin

xnappo
no, thats absolutely fair, just wanted to understand. i am leaning towards trying out an NUC and giving up on the pi, its just too underpowered. but for now i'm willing to persist. i'm not a fan of paging esp with a big collection so i vote 1, minimal data. i like just a wall of the cover art or just a list with title, year and rating, don't know if both are possible.

thanks!
Pi Users,

null_pointer spent the day yesterday moving from XML to JSON as an experiment to see whether the Pi can process JSON faster than XML.

Please try pulling his fork from here:
https://github.com/faush01/MediaBrowser.XBMC

And post your performance log (turn on 'Profile' under debugging - results are in your addon_data folder).

I should note than on Windows/Linux we are not seeing an improvement - but they are already much faster.

Thanks,
xnappo
i can take a look tonight. thanks to null_pointer for his efforts though!
I am going to have to bring one of my PIs to work so I can test some of this stuff. I always read about things when I am here. Keep up the good work!
TV Mosaic on Windows 10 as PVR Backend |  1 RaspberryPI 3 Client (LibreElec) | Amazon FireTV box | 5 Amazon FireTV sticks | FireTV Cube | 2 Nvidia Shield TV
Tuners: HD HomeRun 4 ATSC (OTA) | IPTV
Just a few notes if you are going to try the json version

You should grab everything from master in the main GitHub repo before trying this or just grab everything from my repo

- just copy over the defualt.py file from my repo https://github.com/faush01/MediaBrowser.XBMC
- delete any files but leave the settings file in addon data folder (...\XBMC\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.xbmb3c)
- turn on "performance profiling" but make sure "debug output to log" is NOT enabled in the debug settings tab of the addon

in the above mentioned data folder there will be some txt files created, past then to pastbin
also would help to know how many movies are in your collection.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[BETA] XBMB3C - Media Browser AddOn for XBMC5