Linux What is the preferred way to install XBMC?
Question 
Hi all

After some experiences with my RaspberryPi and Xbian i've got a media player PC (AOPEN DE-45PRO)
with more power in CPU and GPU.

This machine is x86 intel based with dual core T4400 CPU and an Intel GM45 GPU.

Now i ask for the best-practice/recommended way to get XBMC on it. The system shouold be used just as a media-center, no other usage.
My preferred OS is Linux - but there are many ways to get XBMC.
a) Install a Ubuntu and XBMC separatly
b) Install XBMCbuntu
c) Install a third-party package like OpenElec or Geexbox

Where are the pros and cons?

What is your suggestion?Huh

Thanks
It's mostly a matter of PC overhead v functionality. The more functionality you have the more overhead you have, the slower your PC runs.
a) Install a Ubuntu and XBMC separately if you want to use as a desktop PC as well as XBMC.
b) Install XBMCbuntu if you MAY occasionally revert to desktop or need functionality outside of XBMC that a minimalist install like OpenELEC will not provide (e.g. web browser callup), or if OpenELEC has hardware compatibility issues.
c) Looks like what you want - Install OpenElec for fastest purely XBMC Media Center experience.

I didn't mention Geexbox as OpenELEC is far more popular and actively supported on this forum.
Thanks.

I'll give Openelec a chance Wink
Definitely go for OpenElec if all you want/need is XBMC. Personally I install Ubuntu minimal + lightdm + XBMC whenever setting up something for a friend, that way the system can be extended with other services or a desktop environment later if necessary.
Ubuntu minimal + lightdm + XBMC is also my choice. It is also pretty much XBMCbuntu Smile
Arch linux is another option particularly if you are a minimalist.
Need help programming a Streamzap remote?
Is this the 1.000.000 Thread about this subject yet?

But for the record minimal Ubuntu (no lightdm) + XBMC is the s*******t for the ultimate no desktop HTPC which is flexible, well documented and has most user support, if you want desktop + browser your talking to wrong guy. I think that covers the pros, as for cons its also covered there.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the preferred way to install XBMC?0