• 2(current)
[RELEASE] NetfliXBMC - Unofficial Netflix Add-on (Win/OSX/Linux)
Firstly, congrats on developing the plugin and a thank you for the time used to develop it. I used XBMCFlicks, which was a little problematic to set up but got there in the end before falling by the wayside. I was hoping that there would be another development in the pipeline, so my eyes lit up when I saw this.

Whilst it seems to work for others, it doesn't work for me. Nothing populates. All categories are empty. My netflix password and email are correct, single profile, chrome installed but nothing appears when selecting the categories. Only thing that may cause a problem is that I am in the UK and access the US version by using a subscription DNS. It worked fine with XBMCFlicks, works fine online and with tablets using iOS and Android. Maybe not in this instance.

That being said, it's nice to see the attempt being made to integrate Netflixs into XBMC.
Excellent Add-On.
But I had to make some changes to default.py in order to make it work, nothing was populating and I got "Could not Connect to network server".
I had to remove all references to "mpaaRating" from listVideos(url) (removed line 106 and 107 and removed "mpaa" from line 131 and 133).
Now Latest, HD only, TV Shows and Documentaries work.
Genres and "Just for Kids" are still empty.

In index() only Genres and "Just for Kids" use "listGenres", this leaves me to think that something in "listGenres" don't work outside the US.

I'm living in Norway.
I am having same issue as xcalibrate. I am running windows 7 32bit. My lists are not populating with the seasons or episodes. I am logged in correctly to netflix as it did ask which user is watching. It does show my list of tv shows I have selected. just nothing shows under each series. I also did a search for a show and that too did not show the episodes.
This add on has great potential and looks great early on. I have noticed a few issues:
1. Netflix original series such as "Orange is the New Black" and "House of Cards" do not populate any episodes for me.
2. Cannot get the videos to add to my library. I am trying to add like a season of Breaking Bad. Would love to be able to add an entire series by just selecting and adding it.
3. "My List" shows nothing. I have plenty of items in my list through other Netflix apps.
4. When playing any video i get a popup message saying "Could not connect to network server", however, the video still plays just fine. Kinda weird issue.

That said, it's a tremendous start and has loads of potential. The thumbnail view looks awesome and professional for the "Latest" folder. Thanks for the awesome work!
(2013-11-27, 10:36)xcalibrate Wrote: Firstly, congrats on developing the plugin and a thank you for the time used to develop it. I used XBMCFlicks, which was a little problematic to set up but got there in the end before falling by the wayside. I was hoping that there would be another development in the pipeline, so my eyes lit up when I saw this.

Whilst it seems to work for others, it doesn't work for me. Nothing populates. All categories are empty. My netflix password and email are correct, single profile, chrome installed but nothing appears when selecting the categories. Only thing that may cause a problem is that I am in the UK and access the US version by using a subscription DNS. It worked fine with XBMCFlicks, works fine online and with tablets using iOS and Android. Maybe not in this instance.

That being said, it's nice to see the attempt being made to integrate Netflixs into XBMC.

This happened to me as well but the problem corrected after logging in to Netflix in my browser and a restart. No idea if there is actually a connection.
v1.0.5:
- Added notifications for geoblocking and login problems

(2013-11-27, 03:32)tigger86 Wrote: this is awesome!!! Big Grin waiting for a working netflix addon a long time!
im using win7 64bit and xmbc 12.2 with your control tool and its working perfectly. pausing, seeking and closing the netflix app by remote is working fine.
controlling the mouse for language and sub selection is also cool because i need it sometimes. Smile
Great! Smile Nice to hear...

(2013-11-27, 03:32)tigger86 Wrote: direct playback via xbmc would be even better but it sounds like it wont be possible in the near future.
i read something about html5. when its done this way, would it be possible to directly play the videos via xbmc instead of a browser?
I don't think it will change with html5. It then still would have DRM. But who knows...

(2013-11-27, 05:03)tigger86 Wrote: when playing via the library a message appears: couldnt find next entry or something like that. but playback is working fine!
Yes. I don't think i can change that. But i will try.

(2013-11-27, 08:08)sting2010 Wrote: excellent add-on - many thanks - can you add support for safari?
Safari has no parameter to start it in fullscreen mode. So you would have to manually do this with some kind of extension or script. Should I add it anyway?

(2013-11-27, 10:36)xcalibrate Wrote: Firstly, congrats on developing the plugin and a thank you for the time used to develop it. I used XBMCFlicks, which was a little problematic to set up but got there in the end before falling by the wayside. I was hoping that there would be another development in the pipeline, so my eyes lit up when I saw this.

When you don't have to setup a proxy (just the DNS) it should also be directly working in XBMC. But i don't know.
But maybe it's related to the mentioned cookie problem. I now added some notifications for geoblocking and login problems.
Try to delete the cookies via Settings->Advanced, make sure your login credentials are really correct and restart the addon. Does any message appears?

(2013-11-27, 16:58)JohnWayne1977 Wrote: Excellent Add-On.
But I had to make some changes to default.py in order to make it work, nothing was populating and I got "Could not Connect to network server".
I had to remove all references to "mpaaRating" from listVideos(url) (removed line 106 and 107 and removed "mpaa" from line 131 and 133).
Now Latest, HD only, TV Shows and Documentaries work.
Genres and "Just for Kids" are still empty.

In index() only Genres and "Just for Kids" use "listGenres", this leaves me to think that something in "listGenres" don't work outside the US.

I'm living in Norway.
Thanks for some feedback from norway! Smile
The missing mpaaRating should raise an indexOutOfRange error instead of this network error. Maybe it was just a coincidence. I changed the mpaa thing in v1.0.5.
Could you please send me the source code of this page via pm? I can then try to adjust listGenres() for you...

(2013-11-27, 18:03)mzup Wrote: I am having same issue as xcalibrate. I am running windows 7 32bit. My lists are not populating with the seasons or episodes. I am logged in correctly to netflix as it did ask which user is watching. It does show my list of tv shows I have selected. just nothing shows under each series. I also did a search for a show and that too did not show the episodes.
Does not sound like the same problem. Movies and TV-Shows (My List, Latest, HD only, ...) are showing up fine for you but when you select a tvshow, you see an empty list?
If so, please send me the souce code of this page via pm. I will then have a look at it.
And you have selected the "Browse TV-Shows instead of autoplaying" setting? Where are you living?

(2013-11-27, 18:21)bradwatson Wrote: This add on has great potential and looks great early on. I have noticed a few issues:
1. Netflix original series such as "Orange is the New Black" and "House of Cards" do not populate any episodes for me.
2. Cannot get the videos to add to my library. I am trying to add like a season of Breaking Bad. Would love to be able to add an entire series by just selecting and adding it.
3. "My List" shows nothing. I have plenty of items in my list through other Netflix apps.
4. When playing any video i get a popup message saying "Could not connect to network server", however, the video still plays just fine. Kinda weird issue.

That said, it's a tremendous start and has loads of potential. The thumbnail view looks awesome and professional for the "Latest" folder. Thanks for the awesome work!
1. Will have a look at it...
2. Have you added the source to your library (see first post)? When you open the folder manually, what is the content?
3. You are living in the US? Please send me the source code of this page via pm. I will then have a look at it.
4. Mmm, strange. A XBMC message? Or Chrome?
Yes, please add safari - videos play very choppy on chrome in OSX (seems to be a known issue) - I can manage without it starting in fullscreen - thank you very much again for this add-on
(2013-11-27, 18:21)bradwatson Wrote: This add on has great potential and looks great early on. I have noticed a few issues:

1. Will have a look at it...
2. Have you added the source to your library (see first post)? When you open the folder manually, what is the content?
3. You are living in the US? Please send me the source code of this page via pm. I will then have a look at it.
4. Mmm, strange. A XBMC message? Or Chrome?
[/quote]
2. sorry i missed that part in the original post. followed the instructions and now it's working.
3. yes i'm living in the US. sending over the source now.
4. XBMC message, let me try to get a screenshot.

Thanks!
When trying to add certain things to the library, it fails with a script error. My log is at http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=90596

(2013-11-27, 21:30)bradwatson Wrote: When trying to add certain things to the library, it fails with a script error. My log is at http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=90596

From just looking briefly at the log I notice that there is a "?" in the file name. Could that be the issue?

Definitely seems to be an issue when trying to add episodes/movies to the library when there is a question mark in the file name. Received the same error on a different episode...

IOError: (22, "invalid mode ('w') or filename", u'C:\\Users\\Brad\\AppData\\Roaming\\XBMC\\userdata\\addon_data\\plugin.video.netflixbmc\\library\\TV\\How I Met Your Mother\\Season 2\\S02E01 - Where Were We?.strm')
i added a simple line of code to the default.py file on my machine to remove all question marks from the filename before adding to the database and i was able to successfully add the shows that were previously failing due to the question mark. here is the code...

filename = "S"+seasonNr+"E"+episodeNr+" - "+episodeTitle+".strm"
filename = filename.replace("?", "")
fh = open(os.path.join(seasonDir, filename), 'w')
fh.write("plugin://plugin.video.netflixbmc/?mode=playVideo&url="+episodeID)

the good thing is XBMC still shows the question mark in the episode title because i guess it pulls it down from TVDB. i also confirmed playback works as your code was not utilizing the episode title but the episode ID. this add on totally rocks! great work!
sorry for the numerous posts, just really excited about this addon... apparently xbmc doesn't like any special characters in the filename so i did a little more editing to remove more. i'm not a python scripter so this is probably sloppy and could be done better...

Code:
filename = "S"+seasonNr+"E"+episodeNr+" - "+episodeTitle+".strm"
        [b]chars = '[\n\t\r\"?\'!@#$%^&*]'
    filename = re.sub(chars, '', filename)[/b]

then i ran into a character encoding issue (over the character é) and realized that there are an endless amount of characters that could cause this line of code to fail. since xbmc only needs the TV show name and episode number, i just cut out the part that adds the episode title to the filename. this is working for me. there is probably a better way of doing this.

Code:
filename = "S"+seasonNr+"E"+episodeNr+".strm"
(2013-11-27, 20:03)sting2010 Wrote: Yes, please add safari - videos play very choppy on chrome in OSX (seems to be a known issue) - I can manage without it starting in fullscreen - thank you very much again for this add-on
Added. Will be available with the next version.

(2013-11-27, 21:30)bradwatson Wrote: When trying to add certain things to the library, it fails with a script error. My log is at http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=90596

From just looking briefly at the log I notice that there is a "?" in the file name. Could that be the issue?
Yes, i forgot to remove characters that are not usable for filenames. Angel
Will be fixed with the next version.

(2013-11-28, 01:26)bradwatson Wrote: sorry for the numerous posts, just really excited about this addon...
No problem! Smile I'm happy you are doing some testing for me... Wink

(2013-11-28, 01:26)bradwatson Wrote: then i ran into a character encoding issue (over the character é) and realized that there are an endless amount of characters that could cause this line of code to fail. since xbmc only needs the TV show name and episode number, i just cut out the part that adds the episode title to the filename. this is working for me. there is probably a better way of doing this.
Code:
filename = (''.join(c for c in unicode(filename, 'utf-8') if c not in '/\\:?"*|<>')).strip()
Should be working fine. I'm also using it in other addons. Just forgot to add it. Characters like é are working fine in the filename. The error you had with it was caused by another reason.
Would be nice if you can also test it manually before i release the next version. If it still makes trouble, i will remove the title from the filename as you suggested.
The code you provided worked. Now I just need to clean out the duplicate episodes of 30 rock I just added. Haha. Thanks!
(2013-11-28, 02:54)bradwatson Wrote: The code you provided worked.
Great, thanks for testing.

(2013-11-28, 02:54)bradwatson Wrote: Now I just need to clean out the duplicate episodes of 30 rock I just added. Haha. Thanks!
Big Grin
Thanks! That did it.

Cheers!
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] NetfliXBMC - Unofficial Netflix Add-on (Win/OSX/Linux)7