Xvid files do not play
Hi all

I am running XBMC on a Pi under Openelec.

For some reason files using the xvid codec do not play. The codec seems to be disabled.

Via SSH I ran
OpenELEC:~ # vcgencmd codec_enabled XVID
XVID=disabled

How can I enable this to get XVID working?

Thanks
Update:

Files encoded with XviD 1.1.2 Final codec play fine.
Files encoded with XviD 1.0.3 do not play.
Files encoded with XviD 1.0.2 do not play.
I can't find any evidence that XviD 1.0.2 or XviD 1.0.3 is not MPEG-4 compliant.
MPEG-4 is enabled on all pi's:
Code:
$ vcgencmd codec_enabled MPG4
MPG4=enabled

Can you provide a sample file of XviD 1.0.2 and XviD 1.0.3?
Yes MPG4 is enabled but for some reason XVID shows as disabled.

OpenELEC:~ # vcgencmd codec_enabled XVID
XVID=disabled
OpenELEC:~ # vcgencmd codec_enabled MPG4
MPG4=enabled

I dont know if the above XVID being disabled has anything to do with the issue but thought I should mention it.

I agree that XVID is supposed to be MPG4 compliant but maybe there there were some problems in older versions?
The files play fine on my PC installed version of XBMC, but not on the Pi Openelec version of XBMC, so this should rule out any problems with the actual files.

The files are all over 200Mb so its not really feasible to provide one of them.
you could cut a 30 second sample using Virtual Dub and set both video and audio to "direct stream copy"

then the saved clip will not be re-encoded and retain the info devs need.

then you could upload the clip.avi to one of those web hosters sites like hotfile or whatever your choice is.

hope this helps,
D.
(2013-11-27, 09:35)Dam0 Wrote: you could cut a 30 second sample using Virtual Dub and set both video and audio to "direct stream copy"

then the saved clip will not be re-encoded and retain the info devs need.

then you could upload the clip.avi to one of those web hosters sites like hotfile or whatever your choice is.

hope this helps,
D.

I tried virtualdub but got the following error.

Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'XVID' (unknown)
VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. Directshow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable.

Further testing
I tried playing this on my Android tablet version of XBMC but it doesnt play there either.
It does play in my PC version of XBMC. It also plays in VLC media player on my PC but doesnt play in VLC on my tablet.
OK I reinstalled the codec and virtualdub can now open the file.

I did a 30 second export with the direct stream copy.
Strangely enough, this 30 second clip can now play on all my devices perfectly but yet the original can't. I have checked and the codec information on the new file is identical to the info on the old one.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?
I really don't want to have to do through hundreds of files and have to do this for each and every one of them.
If it was a once off then I could resign myself to doing it but it is quite likely that I would just have the same issue again in the future when adding any further content.
I have just done it again but with a complete file this time.
After checking all the file details side by side using g-spot I find the following differences. Not sure exactly what they mean but maybe somebody here would know and have an idea on why the new file plays fine but the original does not.

Original file
Container
----------
Note: 4 bytes unneeded bytes at end of file
OpenDML (AVI v2.0)
Interleave: 1 vid frame (40 ms), preload=480
Audio frames: Aligned on interleaves
Video: 201 MB (86.52%)
Audio: 28.6 MB (12.28%)
AVI Overhead: 2.79 MB (1.20%)

User Data/Metadata
[ISFT] Nandub v1.0rc2
[JUNK] Nandub build 1852/release
[USER] XviD0037

New file
Container
----------
File Length Correct
OpenDML (AVI v2.0)
Interleave: 1 vid frame (40 ms), preload=504
Audio frames: Aligned on interleaves
Video: 201 MB (86.52%)
Audio: 28.6 MB (12.28%)
AVI Overhead: 2.79 MB (1.20%)

User Data/Metadata
[JUNK] VirtualDub build 35491/release
[USER] XviD0037
(2013-11-27, 12:17)RDPearson Wrote: I have just done it again but with a complete file this time.
After checking all the file details side by side using g-spot I find the following differences. Not sure exactly what they mean but maybe somebody here would know and have an idea on why the new file plays fine but the original does not.

It doesn't look like any significant difference in the two files, so I'm not sure what's causing the problem.
I'm slightly interested if the new file now plays on xbmc on android tablet.

Otherwise, the file looks small (200-odd megs). Can you upload it somewhere and PM me a link?
(2013-11-27, 13:58)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-11-27, 12:17)RDPearson Wrote: I have just done it again but with a complete file this time.

It doesn't look like any significant difference in the two files, so I'm not sure what's causing the problem.
I'm slightly interested if the new file now plays on xbmc on android tablet.

Otherwise, the file looks small (200-odd megs). Can you upload it somewhere and PM me a link?

Thanks Popcornmix

Yes the new file does play fine on XBMC on Android tablet as well as on XBMC on my Pi.
I am uploading at the moment. Will PM you when done.
Got the file. It plays fine on my development build of xbmc (gotham).
It also played fine with command line omxplayer.

At the moment I'm guessing it's a problem with ffmpeg (frodo uses an older version).

Can you try it with a gotham build of xbmc?
What platform was that on? It plays fine on Frodo on XBMC on my PC.
I am very apprehensive about moving to a development build. Everything I am reading say that I should not do this if I need a stable system.
(2013-11-27, 15:09)RDPearson Wrote: I am very apprehensive about moving to a development build. Everything I am reading say that I should not do this if I need a stable system.

Well, you can always back up your sdcard first (or use a second one). Then you don't have to risk losing your current stable system.
If it is ffmpeg (which is my best guess) then this will never be fixed on Frodo.

Gotham has gone passed feature feeze, and will become the new stable xbmc in the near future (a few months probably).
(2013-11-27, 16:09)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-11-27, 15:09)RDPearson Wrote: I am very apprehensive about moving to a development build. Everything I am reading say that I should not do this if I need a stable system.

Well, you can always back up your sdcard first (or use a second one). Then you don't have to risk losing your current stable system.
If it is ffmpeg (which is my best guess) then this will never be fixed on Frodo.

Gotham has gone passed feature feeze, and will become the new stable xbmc in the near future (a few months probably).

I am currently trying it with a 2nd SD card, however I am battling to get past the initial boot. I get to the openelec first time config screen and the box just hangs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xvid files do not play0