Linux on VMware as a XBMC server?
I'm not sure this is the right approach
Is it possible to create a "really low hardware server" with no HD graphic as server 7x24?
This server is not meant to reproduce any media.
Would be easy to publish to the other 3 xbmc media center in my house?
Some time is useful to have one xbmc running all day just in case you want to watch trough streaming.
I have plenty of resources but unfortunately those are in ESX. (Mysql server for share the libraries is a VM) So, for me it will be literally free to create a linux server.

thanks a lotHuh
Do you mean for updating / scraping your library? If so i do that. I have a instance of OpenELEC installed on a vm in ESXi that scrapes my library and updates my mysql database for use between the clients in my house.

Here's a guide on how to set it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niOyNXEctdY
This looks really great. I'm definitely trying it Smile
Are you able to publish to library trough upnp and streaming to your house for tablets or similar? (My knowledge about how streaming technology works are pretty limited, sorry Smile, not sure if the requester is the one doing all the Gpu processing during playback an HD movie.)

Thank you!
(2013-11-30, 01:01)prae5 Wrote: Do you mean for updating / scraping your library? If so i do that. I have a instance of OpenELEC installed on a vm in ESXi that scrapes my library and updates my mysql database for use between the clients in my house.

Here's a guide on how to set it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niOyNXEctdY

this is an interesting idea i have a mysql library setup too between machines and i know if i turn on one machine and it performs a scan it then updates the other machine but if there is something new you want to watch you have to sometimes wait for the content to scan in before you can access it which although does not take long but can be annoying sometimes is the point of doing this so stuff is scanned in ahead of time so when you start any of the machines on your network with mysql all content is scanned in and ready to go

and if so how to do have it scan content in as you add it is there some sort of script you run to reguarly perform a search for new content for your sources folder/s or do you manually have to trigger a scan on this VM
you can schedule auto scanning using Libray Auto Updater program. you can automate the task to do it every 1 hour if you need to
hello
I have tried the openelec vmware image with no success.
Any idea any other way to set up an XBMC in a VM? (I have no way to pass trough the video card, and I think a 3D hardware accelerations is needed in order to start up XBMC)
thanks
What doesn't work? You do not need to pass through a video card.

This method does work and is used by quite a few people. There is a slight issue with recent Gotham builds and video driver issues though, so you either need to use the 3.2.4 Frodo version (stable) or an older gotham build.
Prae5
Sorry for the confusion.
I think I need to pass through the video card if I build a VM form scratch and I want to setup XBMC in it, cause XBMC requires 3d hardware acceleration to start up. At least that happens last time I tried (long time ago). Is this correct?
This is why I have tried using Openelec image, but it freeze after booting and get a blank screen

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux on VMware as a XBMC server?0