Win Service startup exceptions
After rebooting, ServerWMC.exe throws exceptions on startup. I had to go into Event Viewer to see the stack trace. I don't think XBMC logs would help since it's a service-only issue, and there are no ServerWMC logs, since it fails to start. Here are the logs from the event viewer:

This is the .NET stack trace of the exception

This is the generic error log (probably not very helpful)
To clarify: Are you now running ServerWMC as a windows service using the "advanced users only" instructions?
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
Sorry, I probably should have clarified: the front-end configuration app doesn't even start. When I click on it in the start menu, there's a pause and then Windows wants to send data to Microsoft about ServerWMC.exe crashing. I have no option to choose how ServerWMC even runs. I tried installing the service by running the .bat file as administrator, but that didn't change anything. Thanks!
Yes, the crash is happening in the standalone app ServerWMC.exe (the windows service executable is called ServerWMC_Service.exe). As ann aside, if you do eventually want to run the service, you have to manually edit the app's config file to set RunAsService=true (this cannot be done in the GUI). The instructions wil be on the wiki when TechLife updates it, otherwise they are in the wiki updates thread in this forum until then.

But yes, back to your problem, you do not seem to be getting even that far Smile The app is crashing in the guts of dotnet/WPF stuff, before it gets into our application. Can you confirm what OS you are running? Do you have dotnet framework 4 installed?
I have .NET up to 4.5 installed. I'm a programmer myself, and I code in .NET so I'm pretty sure the framework is intact. Still, I don't work with WPF. The crash started happening after I rebooted and after logging in, the screen turned an off-white color. I had to hard-reset my system, after which the server started crashing. I did uninstall it, made sure the program files folder has been removed entirely, and then reinstalled the latest version. I'll do a chkdsk and also repair the .NET installation as well.
I've repaired .NET and also ran chkdsk (no errors). I think this is a legitimate bug. Besides the program files folder, are there any other places I should check to see if I can completely remove ServerWMC before reinstalling it?
there are config and log files in %ProgramData%\VDSoftware but im not sure they would really matter.

Also you didnt specify what OS you are running? I found some googling results where this type of thing could happen on XP, though I doubt you are on XP! If you have another PC to try it on can you try there? It has to be somehow environment because we have many users that are running this build without issue... Something in your WPF/dotnet area seems to be playing up

Perhaps if you create a basic WPF application and see if that works from your development environment? Im running low on ideas...
I checked the VDSoftware folder and looked at config.xml, and, while it was 4KB, it was totally empty. I think what happened is that the server crashed on startup and didn't get to flush the write buffer to the config file. At the same time, the code that loads the config from the file doesn't try-catch the parsing mechanism, so it throws errors on startup. I uninstalled the server, deleted the VDSoftware folder, reinstalled the server and now everything works great. Thanks!
Glad it's working and thanks for the steps to reproduce, we will have a look and fix it. Strange stacktrace since it was in wpf guts, but I didn't write these parts so can't really say more until I investigate
(2013-12-11, 16:50)nivanov Wrote: I checked the VDSoftware folder and looked at config.xml, and, while it was 4KB, it was totally empty. I think what happened is that the server crashed on startup and didn't get to flush the write buffer to the config file. At the same time, the code that loads the config from the file doesn't try-catch the parsing mechanism, so it throws errors on startup. I uninstalled the server, deleted the VDSoftware folder, reinstalled the server and now everything works great. Thanks!

Had the same problem after a w7 update, nivanovs solution works for people with problems like i had after the w7 update from 11 dec 2013.

Thx for sharing and sollution Nivanov.

(u also can rename your config.xml or delete it, @ here it was remade automatically at first run)

Pat
Had this problem tonight, and the solution above worked for me as well. Thanks nivanov.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Service startup exceptions0