Bug MP3 embedded cover art not streamed to external UPNP renderers
I use KODI 16.1 on Lubuntu as a UPNP media Server.
It streams Mp3 and Flac music across LAN/UPNP to external renderer (a Sony BD player).
The "controller" between them is an Android tablet running BubbleUPNP, where I can select files from KODI library and play / pause / fast-forward / rewind / adjust loudness, etc.
Previously I was using UMS as my media server running on Lubuntu, however it doesn't support pause or fast forward for movies.

The problem is this:
I always embed album art (500x500 jpg's) into my MP3 and Flac files - and with UMS the album art embedded into the music files was always displayed on my BubbleUPNP both as thumbnails in the library view and a larger image in the Now Playing window.

KODI recognizes and displays the embedded album art on it's own GUI that I see on the monitor attached to the Linux box.
It also allows to play back on UPNP clients flawlessly, but it fails to stream to UPNP clients the cover art already embedded into the Mp3/Flac files stored on KODI server. I don't want to use external scrapers which download artwork from the internet and store it in KODI's database - the artwork is already present (embedded) in the files.
Can this be fixed? I know for a fact this is a valid feature, because it works on UMS out of the box.
Crickets ... Are the KODI dev team even checking this forum Huh Any response, any one??
There are few of us and we are busy, but yes we do check the forum.

I'm the dev guy in "music corner", but unfortunately I know nothing about UPNP so I can't help you. Nor do I know who works on UPNP, but maybe someone will comment.
hah - another annoyed user - well i know who worked on upnp ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
What an useful answer, I wonder why less and less users reports problems correctly ..... Wink

One known problem about Kodi UPNP is the handling of multiple network interface. So if you have multiple network card like virtual cards for some virtual box or something, Kodi will use the wrong IP to announce the artwork so the renderers can't get the image since they do not know how.

It have been reported and the guy who work on upnp is aware but have no easy solution Wink

Anyway as always when reporting things you always should post logs as explained every where.
Thank you, Tolriq! I'm not a coder, but I think the actual solution would be a lot simpler.
I don't have multiple NIC's or anything virtual on my Lubuntu box, it's a simple wired home LAN.
The artwork doesn't need to be announced separately, it's already embedded in the MP3 files.

KODI broadcasts the stream to any UPNP clients on the network, and I can browse KODI's library and file system from an external renderer. The problem is that KODI remote running on Android doesn't let me play back a media file from the server on anything else but the KODI server itself, it's really frustrating such a great product is geared for HTPC users only, i.e. watching movies on AIO laptops, where any half decent AVR has a network interface.
Well you should try Yatse as it allows what you want and much more but this is not the question.

If the renderers does not display embeded mp3 artwork then it's a renderer problem Wink On top of the embed artwork Kodi also announce it's cached artwork so that the renderer can display it.

This part can be problematic with multiple IPs. But as said without logs impossible to tell your problem there's no mentalist here Smile
Forget the renderer, I keep my TV turned off when I play back music to my AVR.
Bubble on my Android tablet displays artwork correctly when I stream from UMS, but is unable to see it when streamed from KODI.
Clearly, it's a KODI problem.

So, there's 3 options to do what I need:
1) Buy Yatse - I'd be happy to do this, but I don't like his GUI structure and navigation
2) Use BubbleUPNP - if KODI can be fixed to stream embedded artwork like UMS (UMS is not an option for me - no ff/pause/rewind. etc)
3) Use KODI remote - if it can be fixed to let me "play to" external renderers (like Bubble and Yatse do, but with KODI eye candy)
4) wait for infinity if you are still not understanding that you need to give the ... logs.
Too easy ) - which specific log files would have the relevant data?
Since you want Kodi to be fixed, I guess Kodi one's ?
Kodi is fine, I would prefer Kore to have a very important feature it's missing - the ability to add and control any of the UPNP renderers available on the network. At the moment a Kodi server is the only renderer by default.
BubbleUpnp and Yatse remotes for Android have this feature out of the box - if Kore is improved to allow selecting an external renderer it will make Kodi/Kore combination a Killer App that I would be very happy to pay $10 for a license.

At the moment Kodi product development is HTPC centric. Believe it or not, there are hundreds of thousands of users like me who don't watch movies on a laptop and don't want to attach an HTPC to the TV - we already have BD players and networked AVR's with audiophile DACs for that!

A traditional NAS with proprietary file system is not a solution either - I want to be able to store my media on detachable 2TB USB-3 disks that are portable (NTFS). So, in my view, Kodi should be a lightweight headless file server with its GUI (i.e. KORE) running on an Android phone or tablet (or Windows/Linux laptop) that I can use to control my home theater system instead of controlling my HTPC. I also prefer to browse and instantly play back any of my media files directly from folders, rather than plan ahead whether I want to watch a movie or listen to music and being forced to select from a miriad categories/ganres in the library.

So in summary, the 1st step would be to upgrade KORE remote with the ability to select external renderers, and the 2nd step would be to diversify KODI into two distinct product streams - HTPC (status quo) and a headless NAS. With that combination Kodi would have a killer App that will dominate the market.
What you want is a simple UPNP file server and absolutely not Kodi Smile

You do not want the Kodi player that is what Kodi is best at, you do not want Kodi library that is the second best thing it offers.

You should read a little more what is the goal and vision of Kodi. Or maybe test Plex but I have no idea if they have a file mode;

And do not say Kodi is fine when your thread is all about : "fails to stream to UPNP clients the cover art already embedded into the Mp3/Flac files stored on KODI server."
(2016-05-17, 02:49)BPR323 Wrote: ...it will make Kodi/Kore combination a Killer App that I would be very happy to pay $10 for a license.

Gosh a whole $10, then you would really value it highly Tongue

I'm sure your words will encourage the devs to drop what they are doing, put their family life on hold and work on what you want immediately. Seriously do remember the dev team are all volunteers doing this in their spare time. If you have suggestions for Kore them maybe make them on that forum, and if someone with the skills is inspired by them then maybe they will take it up. But why presume that anyone should be interested in your opinion or requirements?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MP3 embedded cover art not streamed to external UPNP renderers0