• 5(current)
Android JUSTOP+Vidon.me: First Quad Core true-hardware decoding Android+XBMC TV set box
Well...

I needed something to take abroad for a few months, and needed fast delivery.
So I bought one of these because I was able to get overnight delivery.

I did'nt have time to properly research which android box/chipset to go for...
So I just took a chance....

It appears reasonably well made.. (it's just a small plastic box, so you can't go far wrong...)
One of the USB port shields was bent, so i could'nt plug anything into it. (nothing a flathead screwdriver could'nt fix though)

The remote looks nice and is fairly solid, it works well as a "remote" especially in Xbmc, In "mouse" mode it's awful, but functional.

It boots quick to android 4.2.2, not many apps installed, which is fine - I prefer "Vanilla" setups.

The Vidon.Me Xbmc appears (from the menus) to be Frodo.
It updated itself, and works well enough, although I noticed a slight jitter on a 1080p (13gb) file over smb.
Nfs would not work at all - which is annoying, (it's works on Xbmc13alpha11 but hardware acc does'nt!).
Occasionally the Vidon app crashes back to the desktop.
Xbmc is snappy and fast (as fast as my Revo, and way faster than RaspMC).
There also appear to be passthrough options over HDMI in the Audio settings, I have'nt tested them yet.

The biggest issue that I have is that the 1080p display appears to be an upscaled 720p! which sucks completely.

This is a quote from amazon
"Support HDMI Full HD 1080p Out, HD, 3D Videos, Online TV ,radio and web surfing"

I can set 1080p from within the android settings and indeed the Tv switches to 1080p,
but from within devtools app that it comes with, it clearly states 1280*720, as well as in system info of the Vidon Xbmc.
Also I can't see any difference between 720p and 1080p files, so it must be upscaling.

I probably wont be keeping after I return, a family member with a HD-Ready tv can have it, as they wont need 1080p.

So if you want a fast/cheap android/Xbmc (Frodo) box to run HD-Ready files over smb or locally, then this pretty good, just bear in mind the remote won't be much good for games or fast navigation when browsing.

I can go into more depth if anyone wants...
(2014-01-06, 13:09)Justinuk Wrote:
(2014-01-05, 20:48)ragedogg69 Wrote: Heh. Hey Justin, why don't you spend your time fixing an actual customer's problem instead of posting here? http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1589061

They contacted us and the return has been arrange. He said that the box works with all the TVs down stairs but not the one up stairs. How do you think the problem is?

I still here, that guy put a reply there then go away, who would you trust?

Lets be straight about this considering this post actually turned into something about me with all the links. The fact I have spent hours now trying to rip the source from the firmware for Vidon and had no help I agree with every one on here.

As for saying I am not trustworthy and you are basically lets get that cleared up. Take time to look at my username then head over to your forum and who is the number one person running and helping your forum out HELP YOUR FORUM OUT! IT IS AFTER ALL YOURS. I wasnt the only one with the HDMI issue that you failed to assist with I appreciate the return which i traveled 20 miles to sort out because im that nice.

Quote:Hello I'm Bob here is my super device buy it - Thanks Bob how do I work it........Bob?.........You there.........Bob?...............

Asking as one of your customer's please can we have the apk or source code for the vidon apk as im tired of this now.?

Oh and as I did say about who is running your forum look at the picture I think you will find that is me.

(2014-01-22, 01:55)tinybilbo Wrote: Well...

I needed something to take abroad for a few months, and needed fast delivery.
So I bought one of these because I was able to get overnight delivery.

I did'nt have time to properly research which android box/chipset to go for...
So I just took a chance....

It appears reasonably well made.. (it's just a small plastic box, so you can't go far wrong...)
One of the USB port shields was bent, so i could'nt plug anything into it. (nothing a flathead screwdriver could'nt fix though)

The remote looks nice and is fairly solid, it works well as a "remote" especially in Xbmc, In "mouse" mode it's awful, but functional.

It boots quick to android 4.2.2, not many apps installed, which is fine - I prefer "Vanilla" setups.

The Vidon.Me Xbmc appears (from the menus) to be Frodo.
It updated itself, and works well enough, although I noticed a slight jitter on a 1080p (13gb) file over smb.
Nfs would not work at all - which is annoying, (it's works on Xbmc13alpha11 but hardware acc does'nt!).
Occasionally the Vidon app crashes back to the desktop.
Xbmc is snappy and fast (as fast as my Revo, and way faster than RaspMC).
There also appear to be passthrough options over HDMI in the Audio settings, I have'nt tested them yet.

The biggest issue that I have is that the 1080p display appears to be an upscaled 720p! which sucks completely.

This is a quote from amazon
"Support HDMI Full HD 1080p Out, HD, 3D Videos, Online TV ,radio and web surfing"

I can set 1080p from within the android settings and indeed the Tv switches to 1080p,
but from within devtools app that it comes with, it clearly states 1280*720, as well as in system info of the Vidon Xbmc.
Also I can't see any difference between 720p and 1080p files, so it must be upscaling.

I probably wont be keeping after I return, a family member with a HD-Ready tv can have it, as they wont need 1080p.

So if you want a fast/cheap android/Xbmc (Frodo) box to run HD-Ready files over smb or locally, then this pretty good, just bear in mind the remote won't be much good for games or fast navigation when browsing.

I can go into more depth if anyone wants...

Are you still using this device, have you been able to get the 1080p playback without the upscaling? I have read that this device should support up to 2160p.

Would this device be able to access NAS drive to login and view photos?
(2014-01-28, 01:27)x80jdc Wrote: Are you still using this device, have you been able to get the 1080p playback without the upscaling? I have read that this device should support up to 2160p.

I've fallen back to using my Raspberry Pi, because of the 720p upscaling issue, as well as the fact I can't use NFS (which is bizarre because NFS works in the Xbmc official builds).
I could live without NFS since I don't use wifi, everything's hardwired, but the not displaying 1080p is a dealbreaker.
I'm annoyed about the 1080p thing, because like you I believed that this box could display it.

Quoting the OP
"it features industry-leading full HD 2016P hardware decoding"

and quoting the Justop website
"HDMI: Standard mini port, support HDMI1.4, support 1080P, 3D output, full-screen output, more humanized dual screen operation"

Nowhere does it state that it can output true 1080p, and in fact is very misleading.
Justinuk would you please care to correct me.... and tell me how to get a true 1080p output....

I'm guessing that it can handle (with HW Acc) 2160p, although it will display at 720p upscaled to 1080p

Yes it would be able to access a NAS, so long as the NAS is filesharing via SMB.
You could view the images with Xbmc, or any Android filemanager that supports networking (like ES or Astra).

It's a shame really, it's quite snappy in the menus, and when using NFS on the real xbmc, file loading times are quick.

If these 2 issues get sorted, It WILL replace my Raspberry Pi...

Here's hoping Smile
(2014-01-28, 02:03)tinybilbo Wrote:
(2014-01-28, 01:27)x80jdc Wrote: Are you still using this device, have you been able to get the 1080p playback without the upscaling? I have read that this device should support up to 2160p.

I've fallen back to using my Raspberry Pi, because of the 720p upscaling issue, as well as the fact I can't use NFS (which is bizarre because NFS works in the Xbmc official builds).
I could live without NFS since I don't use wifi, everything's hardwired, but the not displaying 1080p is a dealbreaker.
I'm annoyed about the 1080p thing, because like you I believed that this box could display it.

Quoting the OP
"it features industry-leading full HD 2016P hardware decoding"

and quoting the Justop website
"HDMI: Standard mini port, support HDMI1.4, support 1080P, 3D output, full-screen output, more humanized dual screen operation"

Nowhere does it state that it can output true 1080p, and in fact is very misleading.
Justinuk would you please care to correct me.... and tell me how to get a true 1080p output....

I'm guessing that it can handle (with HW Acc) 2160p, although it will display at 720p upscaled to 1080p

Yes it would be able to access a NAS, so long as the NAS is filesharing via SMB.
You could view the images with Xbmc, or any Android filemanager that supports networking (like ES or Astra).

It's a shame really, it's quite snappy in the menus, and when using NFS on the real xbmc, file loading times are quick.

If these 2 issues get sorted, It WILL replace my Raspberry Pi...

Here's hoping Smile

Thanks for the information. I tested a raspberry pi briefly but soon found that although it would serve as media player browsing the internet on the Pi was hard work.

I had been torn between the Justop Quadro and MINIX neo X7. Finally made a decision and ordered the X7. This seems to have a good level of support with regular F/W updates, word is they are upgrading to android 4.4 in next couple months.

Hoping that the android TV box brings a good experience...will soon find out
Tested android VidOn AV200 with VidOn XBMC v1.0.0.7.
1. VidOn XBMC does play FullHD movies at true 1080p resolution (not 720p upscaling)
2. VidOn XBMC does play BD3D ISO (MVC decoding) with HDMI 3D Frame Packing output.
3. VidOn XBMC does support BD-menu (including BD-J) but with some issues.
4. VidOn XBMC does support DTS-HD MA / Dolby TrueHD HDMI passthrough. But only for 2D mode.
5. VidOn XBMC almost doesn't have smooth playback issues with BD and BD3D movies.
6. It has limited auto frame rate feature. Other Android players don't have such feature at all.
7. VidOn doesn't support 23.976 Hz output (only 24.000 Hz). But all Android players don't have 23.976 Hz output as well.

VidOn AV200 with VidOn XBMC is the best Android player I've ever seen. And it's better than MINIX Neo X7.
(2014-02-25, 09:42)kokap Wrote: Tested android VidOn AV200 with VidOn XBMC v1.0.0.7.
1. VidOn XBMC does play FullHD movies at true 1080p resolution (not 720p upscaling)
2. VidOn XBMC does play BD3D ISO (MVC decoding) with HDMI 3D Frame Packing output.
3. VidOn XBMC does support BD-menu (including BD-J) but with some issues.
4. VidOn XBMC does support DTS-HD MA / Dolby TrueHD HDMI passthrough. But only for 2D mode.
5. VidOn XBMC almost doesn't have smooth playback issues with BD and BD3D movies.
6. It has limited auto frame rate feature. Other Android players don't have such feature at all.
7. VidOn doesn't support 23.976 Hz output (only 24.000 Hz). But all Android players don't have 23.976 Hz output as well.

VidOn AV200 with VidOn XBMC is the best Android player I've ever seen. And it's better than MINIX Neo X7.

How does it support frame packed blu-ray if XBMC can't do it yet?
VidOn XBMC is a special version of XBMC. - from VidOn FAQSmile
And it supports some features (BD3D, BD-J) that official XBMC does not.
Sadly vidon.me does not make their sources public.
rellla
VidOn XBMC is essentially our core used to power the GUI and then for actual playback I believe they launch their own closed source external player. They've probably done it this way as they would have been required to release the source code for any changes they had done to XBMC itself under the GPL license.
Probably they do use their own external player. Reading change logs in their forum let me think that there must be changes at xbmc source code. They still don't care about GPL imo. I can't believe, that nothing has changed in xbmc sources since one year: https://github.com/vidonme/xbmc. This is claimed to be the official Vidon.me xbmc source code.
This (old) code is definitly based on empat0's build for allwinner linux. Nothing to read about an external player for video decoding.
However, it's reported to run well on android. I never tested it.
rellla
(2014-02-25, 13:01)jjd-uk Wrote: I believe they launch their own closed source external player.
I don't think so.
VidOn XBMC player's GUI, keyboard shortcuts, option windows, statistics UI and so on are fully identical to official XBMC internal player's ones.
A debug log would tell you exactly what's going on under the hood and what player it's using, would you be able to post a debug log of you playing something uploaded to pastsebin?
(2014-02-25, 15:04)jjd-uk Wrote: A debug log would tell you exactly what's going on under the hood and what player it's using, would you be able to post a debug log of you playing something uploaded to pastsebin?
Log file: http://pastebin.com/n1xGtsyv

Screenshot: Image
Ok. This is AV200 with A31 and PowerVR. Anybody with a AV100 log?
rellla
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
JUSTOP+Vidon.me: First Quad Core true-hardware decoding Android+XBMC TV set box2