[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
Yes, always helpful to hear from experienced user, in time I might adopt your approach.

Some additional questions - do you keep Mx-linux flashing files on SD card root as your backups and other files? I suppose that's OK.

In Kodi File Manager, how do you copy, move files between A/B panes? Do you use remote somehow? Or a mouse to drag and drop? I tried but USB mouse doesn't work, my wireless mouse with usb dongle also doesn't work. USB keyboard works, I suppose you use that to copy/move files in FM somehow? I used to use file managers in Android but here I have no clue how to use this one.

Restoring Backup backups on Helix never restored shortcuts for me, happened only once but that was when I was trying out Isengard, not sure that was a fluke or some fix for that was done in it, anyway on repeated restore I had no such luck. Perhaps pulling power on the box after restore does the trick to get shortcuts restored? Restoring shortcuts is important for me because I use skin 'Hwy99's Confluence mod' which has 25 shortcuts for Video, 10 for all others and making so many of them by hand is tedious.

I have remote.conf file that I downloaded from this thread, posted by tinker http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=180446&page=34 (post #501)
is that the one you use? Also put in smb.cof file where I modified one line for 'userdata' as it was in the orig smb.conf file. that way only the root permissions are added.
Code:
[Userdata]
path = /root/.xbmc
->path = /root/Data

I did try Kodi Isengard and quite apart from something not working I would say that unless you really need something it introduces, stay for now with golden oldie Helix fav version. I know we all want the latest shout in Kodi but for many 'normal' users Isengard doesn't bring that much if anything new, just some menus in settings have been redone and you have to get used to it, for seemingly no good reason. If or when I shop for Kodi box, it should be in a compact look like AppleTV box, maybe a little bigger as it would be more powerful and it should run linux or have some made linux-kodi like this mx-linux here. I agree, nobody needs android box, that was just marketing thing anyway, make it swiss knife... It is just a headache (it works on phones but I'd stay away from it anywhere else).

Messages In This Thread
Falling at the first hurdle - by malcolmbarr - 2014-02-16, 16:17
TVHeadend hangs at channel switch - by vvd214 - 2014-08-29, 09:20
. - by jon4248 - 2015-05-23, 17:00
RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Geniatech Devices incl. Helix Builds - by van141 - 2015-10-24, 21:57
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5