• 121(current)
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
Solved - Sorry, found post which mentioned issues and deleted the settings.xml file which got the network back :-)
Of course you must have a network connection on your PC, unless your internet is down right now, and that is why I suggested you download the public edition of EmbER 3.0.1 from their website and extract to a clean 4 GB or 8 GB SD card and try to install that on your box. As I suspect maybe it will still not boot with the reset button held and to the SD card and install EmbER 3.0.1 So if it does not then you have to wait until a suitable recovery card is made available, but this will not be until Josh feels it is suitable and ready for release and public use. Though I can say that a test version did work for me on a truly not fully bricked box that simply like yours would not go into recovery mode or install from an SD card.

As I said I hope that the install 3.0.1 from the SD card will work for you by just using the reset button on your box as per the instructions with the EmbER download, so good luck frizby1066

PS Just seen your latest post frizby and well done. Yes I had forgotten that simple fix. Good news my friend.
Cheers
Raymw
Hi everybody. I have a android tv box ATV310b. I'm trying to flash linux XBMC. I just did step one and two, flash with spi file and update (.img). When the box reboot it keeps saying" E:failed to find "cache" partition to mount at "/cache" ## manual mode for Android TV Box. What does that mean and how can I proceed with installation? Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something? Thank you in advance.
Where did you get the upgrade Linux firmware from sat4life ?? The firmware Linux compiles on Page 1 of this thread are only for M6 dual core boxes with G02Ref boards, so they would certainly fail or even brick your old M3 box as they are not compatible with the M6 builds.

Your box is a very old single core M3 model which now have little support available for them and no KODI builds after Helix 14.0. For this latest available for M3 boxes PIVOS Helix 14.0 firmware build you will need to flash the PIVOS Hydra 2 compile to get that KODI version. You should find it if you Google search for PIVOS Hydra 2 or else PM me and I can send you my private Dropbox link to download it from here. This PIVOS Hydra 2 build does breathe some new life into these old boxes so is well worth the effort rather than binning the old box, but I am pretty sure that later KODI Linux firmware will not now become available for them.

So I would keep your old M3 box and update it to PIVOS KODI Helix 14.0, and use as a spare box or for use say in another room from your main TV room, and then look at getting a MXQ M12 box for your main use. The price of new quad core s805 based boxes are now very cheap and also now with EmbER 3.0.1 available with KODI Isengard 15.2 (US$25 firmware official licence registration), though PLEASE NOTE that this EmbER Linux firmware is only available for the M12 version of these MXQ boxes as of yet, and not for the much cheaper more limited plastic cased MXQ boxes, though this will be availabel soon I believe.

This would be a good deal and recommended for your new main KODI box and in fact I hope to be supplying these M12 boxes soon once I complete some thorough testing. You could also maybe buy a second hand MyGica ATV1200/1220 dual core M6 box (these are with the G02Ref mainboards) as plenty of Linux firmware is available for those, including all the latest recommended EmbER builds too.
Cheers
Raymw
Thank you for answering. I download the two image files (spi and update) from a spanish forum, because the official geniatech link does not work. I tried also to download the fie from pivosforum but the link is not working. It would be nice if you send me the file you mentioned. Thanks again.
(2016-04-12, 10:04)raymw Wrote: Where did you get the upgrade Linux firmware from sat4life ?? The firmware Linux compiles on Page 1 of this thread are only for M6 dual core boxes with G02Ref boards, so they would certainly fail or even brick your old M3 box as they are not compatible with the M6 builds.

Your box is a very old single core M3 model which now have little support available for them and no KODI builds after Helix 14.0. For this latest available for M3 boxes PIVOS Helix 14.0 firmware build you will need to flash the PIVOS Hydra 2 compile to get that KODI version. You should find it if you Google search for PIVOS Hydra 2 or else PM me and I can send you my private Dropbox link to download it from here. This PIVOS Hydra 2 build does breathe some new life into these old boxes so is well worth the effort rather than binning the old box, but I am pretty sure that later KODI Linux firmware will not now become available for them.

So I would keep your old M3 box and update it to PIVOS KODI Helix 14.0, and use as a spare box or for use say in another room from your main TV room, and then look at getting a MXQ M12 box for your main use. The price of new quad core s805 based boxes are now very cheap and also now with EmbER 3.0.1 available with KODI Isengard 15.2 (US$25 firmware official licence registration), though PLEASE NOTE that this EmbER Linux firmware is only available for the M12 version of these MXQ boxes as of yet, and not for the much cheaper more limited plastic cased MXQ boxes, though this will be availabel soon I believe.

This would be a good deal and recommended for your new main KODI box and in fact I hope to be supplying these M12 boxes soon once I complete some thorough testing. You could also maybe buy a second hand MyGica ATV1200/1220 dual core M6 box (these are with the G02Ref mainboards) as plenty of Linux firmware is available for those, including all the latest recommended EmbER builds too.
See my PM to you sat4life. :-)
Cheers
Raymw
Thank you raymw for your reply. I just downloaded your file, put it on a SD card and push the reset button, power on, apply update then it came out as follows on the screen:
Installing update...
Installing MX Linux
Wiping Userdata
assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img", "boot")
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.img
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Am I doing something wrong? Stupid question, do I need a boot file first or the file you sent include it?
(2016-04-13, 18:32)raymw Wrote: See my PM to you sat4life. :-)
(2016-04-13, 19:22)sat4life Wrote: Thank you raymw for your reply. I just downloaded your file, put it on a SD card and push the reset button, power on, apply update then it came out as follows on the screen:
Installing update...
Installing MX Linux
Wiping Userdata
assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img", "boot")
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.img
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Am I doing something wrong? Stupid question, do I need a boot file first or the file you sent include it?
(2016-04-13, 18:32)raymw Wrote: See my PM to you sat4life. :-)

Hmm seems strange. I usually place the file on a small 4 or 8 GB USB stick for this particular M3 build and then boot the box into recovery mode, I manually run then a Factory Reset option just to make sure all is cleared and then apply the update from the USB stick. It has worked every time but this is with ATV510 and A11 MyGica boxes or Sumvision Nano Slim + boxes. Not sure about the ATV 310b you have but, from the info on it I have quickly seen, it seems to be another M3 type box but maybe it has some differences which I honestly have no idea about never having owned one. Maybe someone else here knows the answer to that. So try using a USB stick and the method I described above.

Usually if you use an SD card the box will try and boot from it when you boot with the reset button pressed in so that may simply be the problem as there is no bootloader on the SD card. So a USB stick will prevent that, or at least you could boot into recovery without the SD card in place and once in recovery mode then you can plug the SD card back in and try to apply from the SD card option. Good luck and hope that may work for you.

Personally I would just get yourself a new M12 quad core box for US$50 and flash the new EmbER build to it with a registration fee of US$25. Or get yourself a new or second hand ATV1220 or even an older ATV1200 dual core M6 box and flash the latest applicable EmbER firmware with a registration fee of US$10. Gets to the point where it is not worth applying much more effort to those old boxes as it is always going to now be limited in its use compared to newer boxes, so time to make the hardware upgrade I feel.
Cheers
Raymw
Hi
Does anyone have a remote.conf for a MXQ M12 remote running Ember.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-04-18, 06:01)ed_davidson Wrote: Hi
Does anyone have a remote.conf for a MXQ M12 remote running Ember.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

I have successfully used the new remote.conf from EmbER which is installed with the Ember 4 nightly beta build. I have two M12 boxes here for testing with EmbER so simply copied the file from my registered M12 box with the nightly build installed and installed in the other M12 box running the V3.0.1 build. So can confirm that this small remote.conf file works well with EmbER 3.0.1 for the M12 if simply placed in the /root/Configs/kodi folder where it will over ride the in built erroneous remote.conf

I can make this good remote.conf file easily available here for everyone, but only of course with the consent of EmbER Dev who created it. So if Josh or Corey say it is okay I will post it here and will then be happy to do so as long as it is for use by folk who have bothered to register and activate their new EmbER s805 M12 installation, or at least if they genuinely intend to do so once they are happy with the remote control mapping working properly, which as I say it now does with this easy to add file.

So Josh or Corey please confirm if it is okay for me to make that good remote.conf file of yours available here to help those with V3.0.1 until V4 is fully released in the near future ??
Cheers
Raymw
Okay Josh has said okay so for a good working remote.conf file for the MXQ M12 EmbER 3.0.1 build then get this file from my public Dropbox link while it is still available there for the time being. Here is the link https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1731...remote.zip

Unzip the downloaded zip file and extract to an SD card or USB stick just as it is and called simply remote.conf.a very small 656 Byte file. Insert the USB stick or SD card into your box and launch the File Manager. Copy this remote.conf file to the /root/Configs/kodi folder. If you do not already have a /kodi folder then simply create one using file manager.ensuring it is exactly as named here in lower case and no period " . " in front of it in this case. Once the file is in there then power cycle reboot your box and your remote should now work well and operations suitably mapped to the relevant buttons.

You may find that you will first need to also go to the KODI settings System|Settings|Appearance|File Lists and ensure that all 6 options in there are enabled, as by default the two features you need are usually disabled. This will allow you to be able to copy, edit, delete and even read the hidden and system folders and files in the /root area of your system.

Hope that helps, but if stuck or if you have any problems (which you really should not) then just shout. Now enjoy your new M12 box with the S805 EmbER V3 0.1 firmware and a working remote.
Cheers
Raymw
I meant to add that my reported problem with the S805 Ember appears to be caused uniquely by my Denon AVR X500 receiver as going directly from the M12 box to the TV HDMI there is no problem at all, and also far easier I have found that changing sources and back again on the AVR brings up the display also.

So AFAIC I can recommend an M12 box with EmbER 3.0.1 and registered /activated of course too. Of course if you get any errors or problems then please you should report them back here and what if anything you have doen that worked or did not work too. My previous post will correct the remote key mapping problem with the M12 EmbER 3.0.1 firmware, but that is sorted out anyway with the current V4 nightly build beta available on all registered and activated m12 EmbER boxes.
Cheers
Raymw
How about overwriting the remote.conf file in /root/etc/kodi or is that still for atv1200 with the KR60 remote only?

Sent from my iPhone
(2016-04-25, 17:21)ed_davidson Wrote: How about overwriting the remote.conf file in /root/etc/kodi or is that still for atv1200 with the KR60 remote only?

Sent from my iPhone

Yes of course that would also work Ed, but is not the recommended way to do it I am told. The logical reason is with that any future firmware EmbER OTA update, which will normally leave your settings intact (and that means the /root/Configs area too of course), then your modified remote.conf will not get overwritten as he /etc/kodi system folder.contents will be. Conf files in the /root/Configs/kodi folder will at boot up commit and overrule those it the /etc system folders and thus achieve exactly what we want with a correct remote.conf file that will not be overwritten with future OTA updates that usually preserve all your settings.

Of course future EmbER OTA updates may well incorporate a new good remote.conf which would mean then you would not need this modified remote.conf file in the /root/Configs/kodi and coudl be then deleted manually, but it would do no harm either of course if it was left there unless of course there will be a future even better remote configuration file in new OTA EmbER updates.
Cheers
Raymw
Got it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone
  • 121(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5