[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes
(2016-08-01, 21:26)Gecja Wrote: Ed_davison, thanks for reply. I'm able to navigate within Ember, like system\settings manipulate video settings ect.. just that network settings located on Programs\Settings or even System\Ember Settings i'm not able to open. Always get system script error check the logs. I have reloaded Ember several times but still same result. Cant connect with SSH through another computer since the box is not on the network at all.

Unless some one tells me how to access the command line within the box and what commands to write, because I have no clue when it comes down to Linux commands.

Sorry but I have to say as been said before here that EmbER is NOT compatible with the ATV520 boxes and that is why it is not even shown on their download page. The reason is that by design EmbER requires that it sees a WiFi system and the ATV520 Broadcom WiFi hardware is NOT compatible as no drivers are available for it in EmbER and will not be so, with it being an outdated model now and all development work now concentrates on the compatible quad core boxes. So you will NOT get to run the EmbER System Settings on the ATV520 although the install works perfectly in all other respects. If you plug in an Ethernet cable into the box and connect directly that way to your router it should give you internet access I believe, though not having one to hand here to check I cannot for sure confirm that and from what you say it seems not to work.

So is there any solution ? Well from what I read but have not yet proven, you can get a suitable WiFi USB dongle which is recognised by the EmbER firmware and use that to satisfy EmbERs requirement of seeing available WiFi hardware. Not sure which type but probably a Realtek type device would likely work. I tried a TP L:ink model TL-WN727N and that DID NOT work with the ATV520 box I tried it on, though the device was good on my Windows 10 PC. Somebody else here has got theirs working with I believe they said a Belkin USB WiFi dongle but cannot find the post so maybe someone else here can comment as to which make and model does work. As long as the ATV520 sees a WiFi dongle it recognises then it will work perfectly with EmbER and then no boot up error message regarding the EmbER System Setting utility and you will then be able to run up the EmbER settings screens of course..

Good luck with it but do please in a good community sprit report back here with any success or failures you have as others will be interested in which USB WiFi dongles work with this ATV520 box, which many here still own. It will be well worth getting it to work for the low cost of a USB WIFi dongle as I feel EmbER 4 is superb and with it's OTA firmware updates too it is IMHO unbeatable and runs very snappy and reliably. You do though really need to register and activate the firmware to get the EmbER 4 upgrade from the public EmbER V3.0.1, which at only a US$10 donation required to activate is a superb deal and helps fund the EmbER project.. But you should note that officially EmbER do NOT support the ATV520 officially now because of this incompatibility with the boxes hardware and indeed its old age.

With the cost of the MXQ M12 metal cased box being so cheap then I have to say that unless you are very short of cash it is a no brainer to get one and convert it to EmbER S805 firmware, as they truly rock. Please though read my notes and those from others regarding installing EmbER safely and well on your M12 S805 boxes and indeed adding the suspend bug fix remote.conf file too. (See recent previous posts in this thread )
Cheers
Raymw

Messages In This Thread
Falling at the first hurdle - by malcolmbarr - 2014-02-16, 16:17
TVHeadend hangs at channel switch - by vvd214 - 2014-08-29, 09:20
. - by jon4248 - 2015-05-23, 17:00
RE: [HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes - by raymw - 2016-08-02, 13:30
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HOW TO] KODI Linux on Amlogic TV Boxes5