XBMC PVR / WIFI TV BROADCASTER FOR TABLETS
Hi guys, my name is Jordan, im 16 years old and new to this site so sorry if im placing this thread in the incorrect spot.

Lately i have been getting into making my own pvr, i bought a dual HD TV usb dongle, i also have a old laptop laying around which i have taken out of its body and just use it to muck around with but lately i got thinking, it would be good to make a pvr but im not always able to get to the TV in my house such as someone is watching a DVD on the TV so i got thinking, what if the xbmc could send live TV through your local network to your i pad or android tablet or even your PC, i looked around and there are devices that do this but i don't want a ready built device i want something that i can make and tinker with, i found a company called orb TV who did exactly what i wanted but they have recently shut down. i just want to be able to make a device that i connect up the TV antenna and connect it to the WiFi and could host TV around my local network for free, but this leaves one last problem, do you make an app for the android and apple devices or do you make it so its a web browser where you just put in the IP of the XBMC PVR. I know there are some people out there who are going to say you can stream recorded tv from the PVR to your network but i want to be able to watch live TV and recorded TV and also tell the PVR what to record from the tablet.

i have been trying to make a program myself but i don't have neither the skills or the knowledge so im asking you guys for help, could someone make an app for XBMC which can do this or make this a stock feature of XBMC

Thank you

P.S sorry about my spelling and grammar, its not my strong suit
Have you looked into HD HomeRun? Or you can run XBMC on Android/IOS and connect to your PVR library there.
yeah i have looked into the HD HomeRun but im not to sure if it will work in Australia and i also want to make the xbmc system like the HomeRun so its the XBMC who hosts the television shows, i will keep looking into it thanks for the reply
tvheadend - you can access this via a tablet and it works with xbmc - I use for the same reasons you have suggested. I didn't want to add an aerial point in our bedroom so I stream the channels via tvheadend to a android usb stick that has xbmc and https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...d.tvhguide on it. I find the latter easier to us on android than xbmc but use xbmc to watch recorded stuff.
not sure how good performance would be, but a USB-Tuner, a Raspberry PI and tvheadend would probably make a good PVR backend server + you can tinker with it Smile
yeah that's what i have been thinking of but i didn't know of any software that could do it, i thought that maybe instead of the raspberry pi tho i could use the cubieboard A20 ( http://cubieboard.org/2013/06/19/cubieboard2-is-here/ ) as to it has a little more power under the hood and has an inbuilt sata port so i could connect a laptop HDD and use that to record to with the PVR function.

thank you guys for your reply's your input is very helpful
i have just found a video of someone using TVheadend on a raspberry pi and using a usb TV tuner and connecting it to his network and watching TV shows on his i pad. hes has practically done what i hope to accomplish. the only difference is i would still like to try and see if i can still use the raspberry pi as a pvr for my tv but if i cant i will just set up another raspberry pi to run xbmc and connect to the other raspberry pi. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s2YI_YLl5c
Forget about Cubieboard 2, the Allwinner A20 overheat and shutdown on load without active cooling (fan).
My previous experience with the Raspberry Pi wasn't good, it seems like too many usb packets are lost, maybe in the future when the developers will solved the issues with the usb driver.

For a low cost solution nothing can beat a Pogoplug Series 4, for 26$ on Amazon you get a device with proper Linux support.
I have few of these running 24x7 more than a year with Tvheadend on Arch Linux Arm.
The down side is that the device can't do transcoding so you won't be watching the stream through a web browser only with proper media players like XBMC or VLC.
(I believe the transcoding feature of Tvheadend is still in development)

I'm soon will be receiving a Cubox-i model that in theory could transcode the stream in hw (if and when someone will implement this feature in Tvheadend).
I think the Cubox-i2 is a better choise than the Raspberry Pi for such server while is still a low cost solution.
I agree that tvheadend is what you want.
Thank you guys for your help, im just waiting on the delivery of my usb tv tuner to get this all set up thanks for your reply and your inside knowledge.
keep us updated Smile
hey guy's me again i just received the tv tuner and about to attempt to set everything up, tell you guys if its a success.
for some reason i can not get tvheadend to work
Just as an information.
I have a dual DVB-T usb tuner from terratec. Recording and all XBMC stuff works perfectly on the RPi.
With the new TVHClient android app on the play store browsing the program guide, scheduling and watching TV on the smartphone or tablet is very convinient.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC PVR / WIFI TV BROADCASTER FOR TABLETS0