General notes / comments
I got a setup working with WMC running on a WIndows 7 64x bit system, and a Linux ARM client. I wanted to share my findings, in case someone else was struggling as I was with a couple of specifics.

With serverWMC on the WMC box, under the folders tab

- set the recording path to use a path that is UNC, but without the server "name" .. but rather its IP. I originally had \\HTPC\Users\Public\Recorded TV, but needed to be \\192.168.83.112\Users\Public\Recorded TV
- check the credentials checkboxm and provide a name that does not include the server name. I originally had \HTPC\HTPC (without a password), and needed to change it to simply HTPC (again, with no password)

Those two were pieces I was not aware of, nor could I find a specific example showing a linux connection to the WMC share.

Once these were done, I was able to stream live TV. Performance was sub-par, but I expect that for the time being as my server is connected wirelessly, as is the client .. so its a double-wireless hop.

I do more testing this weekend with the server wired, and the client wireless (which is my target setup) and see if all bodes well.
I'll make a note in the wiki regarding your findings to make it easier for the next guy as well. I know many users have had success with using just the name. I wonder if not having smb installed on the client has an effect on it's ability to resolve the name? What are you using for a client?
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
(2013-12-21, 01:23)jeckels Wrote: I got a setup working with WMC running on a WIndows 7 64x bit system, and a Linux ARM client. I wanted to share my findings, in case someone else was struggling as I was with a couple of specifics.

With serverWMC on the WMC box, under the folders tab

- set the recording path to use a path that is UNC, but without the server "name" .. but rather its IP. I originally had \\HTPC\Users\Public\Recorded TV, but needed to be \\192.168.83.112\Users\Public\Recorded TV
- check the credentials checkboxm and provide a name that does not include the server name. I originally had \HTPC\HTPC (without a password), and needed to change it to simply HTPC (again, with no password)

Those two were pieces I was not aware of, nor could I find a specific example showing a linux connection to the WMC share.

Once these were done, I was able to stream live TV. Performance was sub-par, but I expect that for the time being as my server is connected wirelessly, as is the client .. so its a double-wireless hop.

I do more testing this weekend with the server wired, and the client wireless (which is my target setup) and see if all bodes well.

I am surprised about the server name too, I connect with linux clients using the server name. Are you sure that, now that you have the credentials right, you can't switch back to the server name and have it work?

A simple test I do to see if the network is fast enough to stream wtv, is just see how long it takes to copy a 30 minute recorded program (wtv),from the server to the client. If it takes ~30 minutes or longer you'll have a problem streaming.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
HTPC is my computer name of WMC.
HTPC is also the name of the user within that system. There is no password.

via ssh to the linux system

Code:
/usr/bin/smbclient -U=HTPC -N -L=HTPC
gives error about host is unknown.

Code:
/usr/bin/smbclient -U=HTPC -N -L=192.168.83.185
diplays all my windows shares on that system
I stand corrected then. I wonder what the difference is.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
By no means am I an expert, but I do know there are windows settings to specifically control how authentication on shares are done.

Here is a reference to potential changes needed on a windows system ...

http://superuser.com/questions/535977/ca...red-folder

I didn't bother with it, since using IP and a non-qualified name within serverWMC resolved the issue for me.
Do you have samba installed on the nix client?

Have you tried adding "wins" to the "hosts" line in /etc/nsswitch.conf ?

I know you have figured it out. This is pure speculation and my own curiosity at play, but it may answer the mystery if one or both of these made the difference.
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
can you ping the HTPC server by name from the linux box?
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
@scarecrow420 No,i cannot ping that server by name, only via IP.

@TechLife The LINUX version I am using a stripped down version that was built specifically for the amlogic hardware is running on. Which could also be part of the issue on all of this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
General notes / comments0