Android Moving XBMC user data folder to ext sdcard ?
Question 
Is it possible to relocate user data folder from sdcard to ext sdcard to save space on devices like the atv520? If possible, will this affect performance, and the most important how do you do that? Smile

Thanks!
Nice idea, this way the userdata folder would not be deleted after every rom flash. It may be possible with an entry in the advancedsettings.xml. I am not an expert on that but you can try this:

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
    <substitute>
      <from>/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/</from>
      <to>/mnt/external_sd/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/</to>
    </substitute>
  </pathsubstitution>

EDIT: I just noticed that the advancedsettings.xml is actually inside the userdata folder. So this will propably not work.
EDIT2: A a symlink from the original userdata location to the external sd may also work. But i am not sure if you can symlink from ext to fat32 filesystem.
Not everything in XBMC will respect the pathsubs, so something like a symlink would be better. Or just pathsub thumbnails, as that's normally the area where things get big. Also, uninstall unused skins, as they'll take up a lot of space over time.
Would directory bind work for this purpose?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=1410262
I think so
(2013-12-25, 04:37)Ned Scott Wrote: I think so
Thanks!
Will try when I have some time.
I thought there will be just some simple configuration change that will slow this.
Let us know if it works. Would be very useful if it did Smile
Unfortunately ATV580 is not rooted so can't try Sad
If you have a rooted device directory bind works great. I moved not just the userdata, but the entire files folder to the SD card using directory bind.
(2014-01-14, 14:14)Swindiff Wrote: If you have a rooted device directory bind works great. I moved not just the userdata, but the entire files folder to the SD card using directory bind.

I'm jealous :'(
I'm using an android box with only 2.3G usable storage. With all the cached thumbnails, I simply don't have enough space on the internal storage. I have tried directorybind, and that simply didn't work at all. I then tried FolderMount on the entire userdata directory, but xbmc wouldn't load (with an older 8GB sd card, far from class 10), I would assume due to the sd card being too slow to read from. I then decided to use FolderMount for just the "Thumbnails" directory, and that works great.

The only problem with using FolderMount and having XBMC auto load with Startup Manager, is that XBMC loads before FolderMount has time to mount the Thumbnails directory to the external SD Card. Perhaps an option in XBMC to store data on the external sd card would be a good idea, it would save a lot of headaches.

Is there a way to have both the folders mounted at startup AND have XBMC auto load AFTER the folders are mounted? That would work perfectly. Thanks.
Try using path subs (wiki) for the thumbnails.
(2014-01-29, 05:27)Ned Scott Wrote: Try using path subs (wiki) for the thumbnails.

Thanks for that. I finally got that working after realizing that I had to use the "emulated" directories. I could not just use the /sdcard/Android/... directory. For anyone else who may be having issues getting the directories to work, this is what I had to use on my Bluetimes MX5 box:

<from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>/storage/emulated/0/external_storage/sdcard1/xbmc_thumbnails/</to>
(2014-01-29, 07:38)Blas Wrote:
(2014-01-29, 05:27)Ned Scott Wrote: Try using path subs (wiki) for the thumbnails.

Thanks for that. I finally got that working after realizing that I had to use the "emulated" directories. I could not just use the /sdcard/Android/... directory. For anyone else who may be having issues getting the directories to work, this is what I had to use on my Bluetimes MX5 box:

<from>/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/</from>

Does this go into advancedsettings.xml?
(2014-03-05, 06:54)bryanmohr Wrote:
(2014-01-29, 07:38)Blas Wrote:

Does this go into advancedsettings.xml?

Yep, see http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...ther_drive

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Moving XBMC user data folder to ext sdcard ?1