HD spin down during video/MP3 playback of network
nope, it's still in the list
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
wtf... just checked and didnt see it. i saw it there before and now its back...Huh
yesterday i belive there was a spindown related bugfix. is that related to this?
--jaga
--jaga
(jaga @ mar. 25 2004,03:47 Wrote:yesterday i belive there was a spindown related bugfix. is that related to this?
--jaga
yes it is
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
to all who have worked on this topic : thank you so much

now we can get a divx played via a pc share with hd spinning down properly from first seconds like it was in old xbmp !

it works perfectly for movies of all type.

for those who don't know, to get it working, time has to be set to something > 0 in general settings :-)

however i noticed that the spindown still can be :
- 'buggy' with cdda : it freezes playback at beginning + every mn approx.
- 'unconvenient' with mp3 album play : hd restarts + restops at beginning of new track (even when hd spindown time is set to 20 mn, the spindown starts sooner when playing tracks). i guess this is due to some kind of reading id3 tag info on local hd and can not be solved easily...

so to to make it simple to everyone, could we imagine to have a thickable option (in settings somewhere close to hd spindown time) that would enable hd spindown for video only.

i hope this both makes sense to all + is easy to implement :-)

big thks again

lud
Quote:however i noticed that the spindown still can be :
- 'buggy' with cdda : it freezes playback at beginning + every mn approx.
haven't tried cdda, will take a look at it later today although it should function the same as playing a mp3 album from a share.
Quote:- 'unconvenient' with mp3 album play : hd restarts + restops at beginning of new track (even when hd spindown time is set to 20 mn, the spindown starts sooner when playing tracks).
it shouldn't be doing that unless the spindowntime is set to a lower value then the mp3 duration or when mplayer can't determine the duration of the mp3. very strange, haven't experienced this problem, will investigate! Smile
@ charly

oups i checked again & u're right : when playing mp3 from share, setting hd spindown time to a higher value than duration of track indeed disables spindown function. so it works as u said.

however the system does not apply for long mp3 (concerts and those with .cue sheets). would this solve this (at least temporarily) if we were having the possibility to set time to more than 59 mn, i.e. 999 mn for instance and if we could generate this 999 by just pressing once on the left arrow when time is at 0 instead of pressing for quite a while on right arrow. i am clear ? if not pm me.

for cdda i am afraid it doesn't, ie xbmc forces the hd to spindown at beginning of cdda play if time is > 0 mn which can cause either :
- very subtle freeze sound in the 1st 3 sec played
- or long freeze sound (up to 10 sec) at beginning of play + once again freeze each and every 45-70 sec period

thks for your help.

anyway the progress made recently on this function is already very significant : we can play all movies + large majority of mp3 just by setting time to a large # such as 20 mn or more.

cheers

lud

ps : i've discovered some kind of mp3 that can't be read by xbmc and / or would drive the spindown function like crasy :on-off, on-off, on-off, on-off, etc as many time as # of tracks i suspect (i've not tested till the end, too much afraid to kill my hd :-) ) i suspect this is due to some id3 tagging not well supported by xbmc. is there a way i can ftp 1-2 albums generating this pb to the guys testing this function ?

thks again
i find the hd spindown right after video starting is annoying if you are sampling different video files. it takes around 10 seconds to try the next video file. can we have the option to configure the delay between video starting and harddrive spindown?
ok, so it would probably be best to make options to en/disable it for audio and/or video + nr of seconds of delay.
something like:
enable immediate hardisk spindown audio <check> video <check> delay (sec) <-number->
what do you think?

found the problem with cdda btw, will submit a patch for that later. edit: just submitted a patch to sourceforge for the cdda bug.
@Charly

Quote:enable immediate hardisk spindown audio <check> video <check> delay (sec) <-number->
sounds great the way u said. hope this won't be too complicated to implement in skin settings + strings, etc.

maybe we can (at least for the beginning) put those 'checks' as true/false references in the .xml to avoid useless work if people don't use; what d'u say ?

another 'bug' : there is still a small freeze frame at beginning of with dvd playback when hd spindown is enabled (>0 mn). i guess this is same type of problem as erpi99 said and could be solved by adding a delay for hd spindown start like 5-10''

btw : pressing the select button (on remote) now reactivates the hd when spinned down. can we avoid that ?

cheers

lud
Quote:btw : pressing the select button (on remote) now reactivates the hd when spinned down. can we avoid that ?
is fixed in cvs along with the cdda bug.

doing good progress on the audio-video-delay options, some minor problems to fix but should be ready sometime tomorrow if i have the time.

btw. i don't notice any freeze frame when starting a dvd...
now that this patch is fully applied, what should the i set spindown to if i want to have the least amount of hd noise possible when playing all media over the network? i.e. even when i set it to 3 minutes, the disk still spins up between mp3 tracks (which aren't on the local disk). when playing video, it properly spins down though.
--jaga
--jaga
@Charly
cant you remove the movie instant spindown or make an option in settings so the spindown only kicks in after the time you have set in settings?
already submitted a new patch to sourceforge (here) a few days ago which allows you to en-/disable spindown for network audio and/or video and set a delaytime.
great! is it up to date with todays cvs?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HD spin down during video/MP3 playback of network0